Search results

1. gdwats2

trekkie reefers

OK, how many of you reefers like Star Trek? There seems to be a correlation here?
  2. gdwats2

Recent thread list

I like logging on to RS and looking over the "newest posts" to catch the latest without having to go peruse idividual forums. A convinient format. I was wondering if anyone else would like to see more enteries here (at home page). I forget how many are there now, but another 5 or 10 deep...
  3. gdwats2

New halide bulbs

I've been shopping around for a new 250 10k and here is the cheapest i could find. Would you be wary? "Yes I have bulbs here and more on the way. The 250 watt bulbs are 12 to 15 K bulbs. They have the PAR of a 12K with a slightly bluer color (closer to a 15K). The 175's are 10K bulbs...
  4. gdwats2

Feeding anemones

I've had them for years and they have mostly eaten fallout. one is a bubble tip (not red) and the other a carpet. lately I heve been feeding them pieces of scallops. no shrinking or puking yet. So, I was wondering how often to feed my anemones, and what is bet to feed..
  5. gdwats2

Wave2k

Has anyone seen this Wave2K wavemaker in action? I've never seen it before and am considering it. http://www.marinedepot.com/aquarium_wavemakers_wave2k.asp?CartId=
  6. gdwats2

White coraline algae..

Ever seen or heard of white coraline algae? I moved some rocks around and found that one rock had a large patch of white on it with some purple mottling. It looks alot like white coraline algae but I have never seen this before. Whatdya think? Greg
  7. gdwats2

Colt compatability

Does anyone know if colt coral has compatability issues with zoas, sarchorhytons, BTA's or mush/Disk anems? I want to move mine and the spot i have in mind is near the above mentioned corals. Thakns, Greg
  8. gdwats2

35 mm format

Does everyone here use digital cameras? Anyone still usiing the old 35mm film SLR's? I am about to break mine out to take some pics. I dropped my Nikon Digital in the reef about a year ago and haven't taken any pictures since, except for with my cell phone (for my Avitar). :hallo:
  9. gdwats2

90 Gal glass brace....

To any of you who have that 90 gallon AGA with the annoying glass brace in the middle of the tank; Do you keep you water level above or below the glass piece? Do you have a secret method of scraping the underside of said pain in the ass brace? And finally, do you have your MH on just one side...
  10. gdwats2

Large water change, exposed coral

I'm about to do a 50% water change and am afraid some soft corals are going to have to be exposed to air for a little while. A group of mushroom anemonies which have attached to the back wall will be above water level during change? Should I remove all coral that is going to be exposed? Or can...
  11. gdwats2

Temperature poll

Ooops, forgot to add a poll....hehe. Here it is.
  12. gdwats2

Tank temperature

Not to be repetitive, but I would like to see a poll just stating tank temperatures. I know that the poll on specific gravity addressed this, but it was not exactly in the poll question. It was informative to see how many people ran their tanks at 1.025 or higher, as I have always ran around...
  13. gdwats2

Foreign objects in tank...

I've been having phosphate problems. I began slowly removing the substrate from my tank during water changes. As I did this I unleashed pollutants from hell, entering the water column from substrate. My water tested off the scale for phosphates next day (PO4>2ppm)and Nitrates at 40. After...
  14. gdwats2

Photoperiod....

Hello all, I'm still tweaking and rethinking things in my 90 gallon reef. I was wondering now about the photoperiod. Most books say to match the environment. Some say a 12-15 hour period is needed. Some say 10-12 hours is about right. We're talking fish and corals here, and it seems logical...
  15. gdwats2

Which Salt Mix...

I have been bouncing back and forth between salt mixes and have decided this is a bad idea. Lately, I have used Oceanic because it is cheap and dissolves fast. I have since read on Melevs Reef that he had some troubles with it. I bought a 50gal make up of Red Sea mix yesterday (recomended by...
  16. gdwats2

Protein Skimming vs Carbon and Pads

I have a 90 gallon salt tank which, over the years, has become a reef tank. For filtration I have been using a combination of smaller filters and skimmers. In the end I had accumulated 2 bio-wheel 250's, a bio-wheel 170, a magnum H.O.T 250, a Magnum canister 350, a Fluval 404, a Seaclone Skimmer...
  17. gdwats2

Remove old substrate? Revamping.

I have an 8 year old "reef type" set up. It went through a period of neglect. I think my crushed coral (aragonite) is full of crap as i never really had aggressive water movement in the past and did not vacuum. It releases lots of sludge when stirred. I Have recently introduced a rio 2100 for...
  18. gdwats2

New guy

Well, when I registered with RS I recieved an email requesting I click the new thread button and introduce myself. So here I am. I am often seen as fishhead in the chat area and in mIRC. I have a 90 gallon tank (with fish and corals and what was once nice looking live rock). A single 250 Watt...