Search results

1. G

My First Sony...Oops, I meant Nano

Weekly update: Every thing seems to be going well in the tank. I tested yesterday, and the water parameters were great: Ammonia: Undetectable Nitrite: Undetectable Nitrate: Looks like just over 5 ppm PH: 8.2 SG 1.024 I finally identified the mystery snail as a stomatella. I have...
  2. G

As of today, it has been up for three weeks (it had been up for a week when I started the thread). There is 10.25 lb of live rock, and 20 lb of Caribsea Aragalive sand. I know that generally you are looking for 1.5-2 lb per gallon. I made the decision to go with just a one after talking to...
  3. G

Few questions about lighting and a skimmer

I just got an Aqua C Remora. I haven't been running it long enough to comment either way, but the build quality is excellent, instructions are easy to read, and it sets up in about a minute.
  4. G

Not sure if anyone is reading this or not, but at least it keeps me honest... I came home on Friday and checked my water: Ammonia 0 Nitrite 0 Nitrates between 5-10 (Did I mention I have always hated the comparing colors tests?) PH 8.2 After calibrating my new refractometer both with...
  5. G

How to make homemade MUSH!

Sooo... I finally read this thread, as I am getting close to adding fish. I had one question about soaking. Is anyone concerned that soaking is leeching nutrients out of the food? Granted it reduces phosphate, but I imagine that is not the only thing being left in the water.
  6. G

Water filtration

From what I have read, using a tap filter (like Pur, Britta, etc.) is ok, but very expensive in the long run (much more expensive than purchasing the ro/di unit). The reason is there is no RO membrane to remove any impurities, so everything is removed by the DI media. That leads to a very...
  7. G

Just a few updates (no pics till next weekend): Added my clean up crew, they are doing well. Water parameters are still looking good (testing PH, Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate with API tests). I had a small bloom of diatoms on the sand, but the cerith snails have mostly tamed that. I added...
  8. G

No plans for mechanical filtration right now, but who knows, my outlook on that may change :)
  9. G

Hi everyone. I thought it would be fun to document setting up my 10 gallon nano. For just a bit of back ground information, this is my first ever saltwater tank. For that mater, this is really my first tank of any kind. We had a freshwater tank growing up, but my Dad did most of the...
  10. G

T8 lighting?

Not that I am a lighting expert...I have questions of my own at the moment :) But I am 99.9% certain that T5's are by definition HO at least. They can be overdriven, and are then considered VHO, but they are never NO (Does that mean they are always yes?).
  11. G

My new BABY Plane!

I want one of those giant turbine powered F-4 replicas they guy in Florida sells for an outrageous amount of money. Anything that can fly 300 mph has to be novice friendly right? Just kidding. What I liked most about RC is crashing things, which has kept my away from the flying end of...
  12. G

Gun Collectors?

I enjoy target shooting. I hate skeet shooting for some reason though I currently own the following guns: Uzi Eagle Semi Compact in 40 S&W (for non gun people, this isn't an Uzi Uzi. This handgun is an Israeli Military Industry pistol based on the CZ 75. Called the Jericho for export...
  13. G

OT: tonights Recipe

Well, since I am traveling this week, I am eating poorly, out of my hotel room. But last week I made some fantastic Chicken Provencal (recipe from Mark Bittman's "How to Cook Everything", which I highly reccomend). It is a whole chicken cut and browned. Then simmered in a sauce made with...
  14. G

My first question

I travel for work, can't really be avoided. I will basically never be home more than nine days in a row. Luckily I have a wife at home to take care of things while I am away (although I was jealous when she reported seeing a small worm burrowing through the substrate). I am mostly...
  15. G

My first question

I am sure there will be more, but here is the first I have. I set up a small 10g on Sunday. I added 20 LB of live sand, a bit over 10 pounds of live rock, a heater and a two powerheads... Then I flew across the country to Portland so my wife gets all the fun of watching the tank and...
  16. G

Good starter guitars?

Are you looking for electric or acoustic? If acoustic, I don't think you can beat a Seagull S6 for the money. Great quality (hand-made in Quebec). Great sound. Finish of the top can look a bit rough after a while, but that is the only con. They run for around $400 new, but you can...
  17. G

29g biocube all set up...few questions

Who-hoo something I feel qualified to comment on ( as a Saltwater noob, this is the first time that has happened). If you look at the fine print on almost every supermarket shrimp you will find they are frozen and thawed. To reliably get fresh, you need to go to a dedicated fish market or...
  18. G

Hello

Hi everyone. After thinking about starting a nano since last June, I finally took the plunge. I figured Since I actually have the beginnings of a tank, I would pop in and say hi. My name is Jay, I live in central FL. I just started a 10g nano, right now it is just sand and rock...