OT: tonights Recipe

ReefLady

Staff member
Tonight stuffed bell peppers!

Yumm! I wish someone in my family liked Bell peppers besides me. ;-)

Tonight is chicken parm. Sauce is simmering, and the chicken is "marinating" in buttermilk right now.
I also have a whole pork shoulder sitting in an herb brine. It'll brine for about 8-9 hours total, then will get a nice sweet/spicy dry rub, and will go into a 225f degree oven overnight until it gets to about 200f (internal temp). It will then be fork-shredded to become the yummiest pulled pork sandwiches ever. That and cole slaw is tomorrow night's dinner.
Oh, and my kids have been bugging me to make this "Cookies and Cream" cake they saw on the cover of a magazine, so that may be on tonight's agenda also. ;-)

Hi Teri! I'm waiting on my son to come back from his dad's Friday, then I will be making that chinese chicken, cant wait! I never make chicken when he's not here b/c he doesnt eat much except chicken so I get tired of it often. I think he will love it!

It's nice to hear someone else uses a brine for pork! Everyone thinks I'm crazy when I mention it, lol. Anytime I cook pork, any kind even just pork chops I brine it first. Not bad with chicken either!

ReefLady

Staff member
It's nice to hear someone else uses a brine for pork! Everyone thinks I'm crazy when I mention it, lol. Anytime I cook pork, any kind even just pork chops I brine it first. Not bad with chicken either!

I can't eat pork that's not brined -- it's too tough for me. We brined our whole 24lb turkey for Thanksgiving this year - it was awesome!

ReefLady

Staff member
It's basically a salt-water-sugar solution that you submerse the meat in for a long time (6-24 hours). It tenderizes meat and retains moisture. You can add fresh/dried herbs and other stuff. Try googling for pork brine or poultry brine and you'll find quite a bit of information.
I'll post a couple links later (I'm on my work pc right now and don't have access).

I cant wait to see Teri's recipe for brine, I just love trying new things & getting ideas from people.

Here's how I do it:
1 gal water
4 cups of apple juice/cider
1/2 cup of kosher salt
1/2 cup of brown sugar
herbs- just usually depends on what I have on hand or preference or sometimes none at all

Mix together until dissolved, put pork in, cover & leave in fridge up to 24 hours. This is only for pork!!! For chicken, omit apple juice & only let it sit for a couple of hours.

It really makes a big difference in taste & texture. I did it once & am now hooked!!

And I can use measurements sometimes, lol.

vdituri

It's basically a salt-water-sugar solution that you submerse the meat in for a long time (6-24 hours). It tenderizes meat and retains moisture. You can add fresh/dried herbs and other stuff. Try googling for pork brine or poultry brine and you'll find quite a bit of information.
I'll post a couple links later (I'm on my work pc right now and don't have access).

This is what my dad recommended for Turkey. 1/2 cup salt and 1 cup sugar.
Soak overnight with water covering bird. Then bake.
I did this with an uncovered bird with no stuffing inside and it was THE juiciest tureky I've ever had.

Tonight I'm having corn dogs. lol :ignore:

This is what my dad recommended for Turkey. 1/2 cup salt and 1 cup sugar.
Soak overnight with water covering bird. Then bake.
I did this with an uncovered bird with no stuffing inside and it was THE juiciest tureky I've ever had.

I never thought about doing a turkey that way. If I could only convince my hubby's family to do that!! We actually deep-fried just a turkey breast last year & everyone was fighting over it rather than the old turkey in the oven that no one wanted. But does anyone stick up to mother-n-law, dont think so, it must be cooked in the oven (& stick in your throat) or it's not tradition, lol. Thank you so much for the idea Teri, this year I'm gonna "prepare" it for them then happy oven cooking!!!

ReefLady

Staff member
I cant wait to see Teri's recipe for brine, I just love trying new things & getting ideas from people.

Sorry for the delayed reply - I had whacky connectivity issues last night.

Okay - this one is for pork and I use it primarily when I am going to slow roast a pork shoulder for pulled pork. I tend to use one more similar to Michelle's when I do a pork tenderloin roast or chops.

1/2c salt (I use kosher)
1/2c brown sugar
2 quarts cool-cold water
1 Tbsp blackstrap molasses
4 gloves garlic - rough chop
2 (dried) bay leaves
1 tsp black peppercorns
1 tsp allspice berries
2-3 sprigs fresh rosemary

Dissolve salt in water completely, then add other ingredients. Make sure brine solution completely covers pork. Keep cold - this brine is a little more "concentrated", so I aim for about 8 hours of brining. I wouldn't go too much over that.

This is the recipe I used to brine our turkey this year.

Good Eats Roast Turkey Recipe : Alton Brown : Food Network

I omitted the ginger, and added some sliced fruits (apples and oranges) in the brine itself. I doubled the recipe because our bird was big (24lbs) - we brined it right in a cooler. Just make sure to add ziploc bags of ice to keep cool (and replace if needed).

Oh, yeah, and there's nothing better than eating a good meal out! :)

sambrinar

We had, Fried chicken, french fries... Just to make sure we got enough cholesterol on top of the protein :snowski:

Goannaman

Well, since I am traveling this week, I am eating poorly, out of my hotel room.

But last week I made some fantastic Chicken Provencal (recipe from Mark Bittman's "How to Cook Everything", which I highly reccomend). It is a whole chicken cut and browned. Then simmered in a sauce made with onion, tomato, white wine, and olives. I serve over staled slices of french bread. Very tasty.

ReefLady

Staff member
Ohhh... that sounds very good.

Tonight I'm making roast beef. I really wanted to cook something in the oven - it's so horribly cold outside, having the oven keep my kitchen warm and toasty will be good. And I'll use the same "logic" for the chocolate cake I am baking right now for the cookies and cream cake. :)

Last edited: