Few questions about lighting and a skimmer

kospaintball

Which is better a 58 watt T5 or a 65 watt PC. and then i have a Current fission nano skimmer, and i HATE it HATE it HATE it.

sooo my tank is only 14 gallons, i have no sump or fuge that you could put a skimmer in... my fuge is a HOB filter but you couldn't support a skimmer in it. So i need a skimmer that can be out of the tank and anything that is in tank needs to have a small foot print.

I have been lookin at the seaclone 100 but i don't know about it and have heard that you have to get the water level jusstttt right.

Zack33

The T5 are you talking about T5HO or normal T5 if it is T5HO then get the T5s for sure PCs are TERRIBLE!!! For the skimmer i would see if you could get a AC REMORA skimmer, i've never had one before but i have heard nothing but good things about them for nano reefers. For your 14 gallon it should do very well.

Zack

kospaintball

The t5 im talkin about is the nova extreme

so which ever that is lol

i already have pc lighting and i know that when time comes around to replace the bulb i might want to upgrade and my LFS sells 24 inch t5 nova extremes for $65

DaveK

T5 lighting is generally preferred over PC lighting. The big advantage T5s have is that it is pissible to position a much more effective reflector behind them. With PCs the "double bulb" makes this almost impossible.

As for skimmers, on a 14 gal tank you could use an AquaC Remora as recommended above, but I'd consider it optional on a tank your size. I do use one on my 30 gal reef and it is effective.

Having owned a SeaClone, I find that I can not say enough bad things about it. Avoid it.

Keep in mind that if you make a 5 gal water change, you change almost 1/2 the water. (remember to subtract space taken up by live rock and sand and so on) The money you would spend on a skimmer, might be a lot better spent on salt and/or an RO/DI unit.

Jeremy0322

take if from someone that uses PC, they suck plain and simple. 58 watt of quality T5 over a 14 gallon tank will run probably close to anything, but I am no light expert. As for the skimmer, a tank that size coupled with the right maintenance schedule and the right rock to gallons ratio you probably dont need one, but if you are looking around I saw this one today...

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums...-simmer-sale-price-includes-shipping-wow.html

The RO units that I have seen that are small enough to run tanks this size usually just screw onto the faucet. There is a little metal ring that can unscrew and from there it just spins right on and you are good to go. Something like this...

http://www.crystalquest.com/images/Countertop reverse osmosis-undersink-.jpg

Hope it helps!

kospaintball

hahaha that picture of the RO unit is soooo photo shopped hahaha

i have pc lighting right now and i HAtE iTtTtT

Goannaman

I just got an Aqua C Remora.

I haven't been running it long enough to comment either way, but the build quality is excellent, instructions are easy to read, and it sets up in about a minute.

Jeremy0322

Oh yea it was, and it wasnt even a good job at it, but it served its purpose of showing him how they hook up.