Search results

1. kapu

MH ballast amperage draw???

I recently replaced my dead 250W mag ballast on my Current USA Sunpod with a Lumatek adjustable e-ballast. I made some measurements using a Kill-a-watt, running a single Phoenix HQI bulb (de). The ballast alone draws 2.58A for a power consumption of 312W. That's in HQI mode. Regular 250W...
  2. kapu

Troubleshooting Metal Halide Problem

Thanks for the prompt Frankie. Here's an update. I learned a thing or two about HID ballasts in my research that may be of use to others - probably more than my troubleshooting report in fact. The upshot is I decided I needed to replace my ballast. My fixture is a 3 yr. old 250W Sunpod...
  3. kapu

It isn't the bulb. As I said, I tried a brand new bulb. It doesn't light, and it isn't blown. I get a faint, pale blue glow only. I have also tried another, used but known good bulb - same result. It isn't heat. As I said, I let everything cool completely. No change. Both the fan in the...
  4. kapu

No, no breaker or reset button, just a fuse, which is good. I've taken the remote ballast box apart, gone through a full cool down, changed outlets. The only components in the box are the transformer, the HID ballast itself, and a big capacitor. The lamp is clearly powering up, but it either...
  5. kapu

It happened this afternoon. I left the power on for an hour or so to see if things would heat up, but nothing doing. Any ideas?
  6. kapu

Does anybody have advice for troubleshooting my metal halide lighting? I have a 250W Current Sunpod HQI hanging over my reef tank. Today, I was adjusting the mechanical timer, and inadvertently turned the lamp on then off rapidly. After this momentary surge, the lamp would not light. All I...
  7. kapu

34 gal. Solana cube by kapu

Way past time I posted an update, so here it is: Livestock: 2x B&W clowns (Amphiprion oscellaris) Starry blenny (Salarias ramosus) Blue chromis (Chromis viridis) Blue Maxima clam Peppermint shrimp 2x Emerald Mithrax crabs 3x dwarf redtip hermits Sand sifting seastar Assorted...
  8. kapu

Rapid decline of plate coral

Urgh. I really hate making posts like this. About 3 weeks ago, I added a LT plate to my tank. It seemed to acclimate pretty well, was frequently extending tentacles and changing shape, and was accepting spot feedings of minced clam meat. Here is a photo I took last Wed, July 9: On...
  9. kapu

Light suggestions?

I recently bought a 34g Solana cube with a 20" 250W Sunpod. I just started a chronicle thread for this tank: http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/reef-chronicles/33072-34-gal-solana-cube-kapu.html The tank is open, and my only cooling is a back-mounted fan on a temp controller. Heat is no...
  10. kapu

34 gal. Solana cube by kapu

I purchased an established nano tank a couple of weeks ago. I moved everything to my place, and all is going well. Everything was moved in 5 gal buckets, and I brought all the water along, to minimize stress. No apparent losses from the move. All the water parameters checked out the day...
  11. kapu's reef tank

kapu's reef tank

Solana 34g nano
  12. kapu

Tips on Moving Reef Tank?

Greetings all. I'm a long time salt water enthusiast. I first dabbled in reef tanks 15 years ago, but suffered from many typical rookie mistakes - inadequate lighting, inadequate water quality control and monitoring, too many jury-rigged compromises. I built my own light fixtures, filters...
  13. kapu

Nano 28G or? for beginner

Longtime lurker here. I have a lot of experience with FOWLR setups, and have dabbled in reef tanks, but never really optimized my setup for one. I think there is much wisdom in what Rcpilot says, but why not look for easy and inexpensive ways to modify the nano system to make it more stable...