34 gal. Solana cube by kapu

kapu

I purchased an established nano tank a couple of weeks ago. I moved everything to my place, and all is going well. Everything was moved in 5 gal buckets, and I brought all the water along, to minimize stress. No apparent losses from the move. All the water parameters checked out the day after the move, and are rock solid. I have many years of SW experience, and have dabbled in reef tanks, but most were FOWLR. This is by far the smallest tank I have ever attempted. So far I'm very happy with it. I'll post more here as things progress.

Equipment:
34g Solana cube (20x20x20)
250W Sunpod HQI 14,000K
Deltec MCE600 hang on back skimmer
Tunze Osmolator ATO
Ranco dual temp controller w/ 50W submersible heater and back-mounted fan
Tunze Turbelle Nanostream 6025 in-tank flow pump
5 stage RODI feedwater filtration system

Livestock:
2x B&W clowns (Amphiprion oscellaris)
Redlip algae blenny (Ophioblennius atlanticus)

Blue Maxima clam
2x Peppermint shrimp
2x Emerald Mithrax crabs
5x dwarf redtip hermits
Sand sifting seastar
Assorted Astrea, Trochus, and Nassaurius snails

Pumping Xenia
Blue-tipped tortuosa frag
Rose millepora frag
Scripps greentip Acropora sp. frag
Unknown Acropora sp. frag
Single Caulastrea sp. polyp
Hairy green mushrooms
Small pink Zoanthus cluster
~40 lbs. Marshall Islands LR

Setup Notes:
I bought this tank turnkey, 5 months after the original owner set it up with cured sand and LR, and have modified nothing so far. Everything listed above except the blenny came with the tank.

I'm running this tank open, and relying on evaporative cooling for now. The fan really works, though I do go through some ATO water. With the set point on the Ranco at 80deg, the temp never dips below 79 or above 82. Note that I live in Seattle, where Summer starts in late July, and even then people start committing suicide when it gets above 80deg. June was mostly in the 50s. I may need to add a small chiller if it gets too hot in August (no AC in my house).

The Solana comes with a rudimentary skimmer and ATO in the integrated back sump, but they aren't too great. The previous owner upgraded both. The MCE600 may be overkill for a 34 g tank, but you can't have too much skimmer. It works beautifully and hangs neatly on the back. The Tunze ATO is similarly a thing of beauty. I keep a 5 gal bucket of DI water in the base cabinet as a source tank.

Some Pix:

aquarium.jpg

aquarium2.jpg

blenny1.jpg

shrimp.jpg

justbob

Hello-
I'm new to the forum, and I thought I'd ask a Solana question. My Solana has been running for a few months now, and I have a bit of everything in there. All small frags. Monipora, flower pot, pipe organ, blue sponge, clam, zoes, sea fan. The circulation seems strong. I've got a lot of turnover in there. My question is, do I need to, or would I benefit from upgrading from the 150watt HQI disco ball to a Current, outer orbit with 150w hqi +T5 bulbs, or a 250w with T5 bulbs. Is this over kill, or a good move?

kapu

Way past time I posted an update, so here it is:

Livestock:
2x B&W clowns (Amphiprion oscellaris)
Starry blenny (Salarias ramosus)
Blue chromis (Chromis viridis)

Blue Maxima clam
Peppermint shrimp
2x Emerald Mithrax crabs
3x dwarf redtip hermits
Sand sifting seastar
Assorted Astrea, Trochus, and Nassaurius snails

Blue-tipped tortuosa frag
Rose millepora frag
Scripps greentip Acropora sp. frag
Unknown Acropora sp. frag
Green Pocillopora sp. frag
Single Caulastrea sp. polyp

Pumping Xenia
Young blushing finger leather (Cladiella sp.)
Hairy green mushrooms
Pink Zoanthus
Yellow Zoanthus
Large green button polyps
Green star polyps
~40 lbs. Marshall Islands LR

Notes:
Everything has generally gone very well. I've added a cultured Pocillopora frag, the finger leather, and several colonies of zooanthids. The original cluster of pink zooas has gone from 8 polyps to over 30. The star polyps have doubled in size and the Xenia is insane. It keeps dividing, and I have started training the new offshoots onto the back plastic. I know some people consider this a weed species, but I like it. Makes a nice backdrop. I'm getting good SPS growth too, particularly with the Tort. and the larger Acropora frag in the center of the tank. Lots of coraline growth too.

My one big failure was a LT plate that suddenly died 3 weeks after I bought it. Read the sad tale here: http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/aquarium-corals/33925-rapid-decline-plate-coral.html. It was too big for the tank anyway. Definitely a mistake. I lost my red-lipped blenny too, and replaced him with the starry. Other than losing a couple of the original hermits, everything else is fat and happy.

No problems with the setup or water quality. I just started using daily two part Ca and Alk additive from Bulk Reef Supply. The Alk demand in particular was getting way too high to meet it with the expensive pre-mixed additives. I'm doing 10% water changes every 10 days.

aquarium-1.jpg