Search results

1. G

Moving up in tank - how much to transfer?

Upgrading from 55 to 75. I've read several threads about crashes after a move and obviously want to avoid that. (good thing I read those too b/c it appears you can't transfer sandbed - I had every intention of doing that!!) I want this to go as quick as possible, so I'm thinking I'll speed up...
  2. G

New tank - have questions - need ideas

Well, I'm making the big step up from my 55g to a 75g. I know, almost certainly not worth the hassle, but the tank was free and I know my fish won't complain about the extra room. It also gives me a chance to fix some things that I didn't know about when setting up the 55 that really bother me -...
  3. G

What are these?

I haven't taken a pic yet, but will if it's deemed necessary. They're about 1/4 - 1/2" long and pink in color. Some sort of hard, tube-like growth. Very small in diameter - 1/8" or so. They are all over rocks, powerheads and even the underside of my open brain coral. 99% of them are in...
  4. G

Need recommendations on new setup & how to transfer

Have a 55g reef tank now. I was just given a 75g today for free and although it's not much of an upgrade, the price was right and it gives me an opportunity to change some of the things I don't like about my current setup, but not too large that I have to buy a ton of new equipment (skimmer...
  5. G

How to frag???

Okay, tank has been setup a year now and some of my corals are spreading a lil more than I'd like. I love my green star polyps, but they've taken over the rock I put them on and are starting to spread to the one next to it - I don't want that. I read that they will grow on glass, overflow, etc...
  6. G

Blue Xenia and clownfish not good bed buddies??

My tank is a year old now and the clown has been in for 10 months or so and the xenia around 8. There was a period when the Xenia had randomly died off completely, but I left the shell that it was attached to in the tank and after about a month, it started reappearing. It is now everywhere! I...
  7. G

Safe to add Strawberry Basslet??

I currently have a Ocellaris Clownfish, Yellow Watchman Goby, Banded Coral Shrimp & Yellow Tang. I also have a mix of soft corals, few blue leg hermits, snails, etc that I don't think will be an issue. I'm looking for just one more fish and a Strawberry Basslet (or Fridmani Pseudochromis - which...
  8. G

Coral dying?? Please help

55g display tank, Algal scrubber, Remora pro skimmer, T5 (4 bulbs) Okay, first let me start this off by saying that I'm not even 100% sure what my coral even is (I know, I know). I believe it's a blue xenia. There were about 50 or so blue "tentacles" attached to what appears to be a clam shell...
  9. G

AquaC Remora Pro skimming...

I originally had bought a Red Sea Prizm deluxe without reading any reviews / criticism on here. It worked (only have a 55g), but I felt that it could be better. So, based on reviews, I bought a Remora Pro (MJ 1200) 2 weeks ago. I know it's "adjustment free", but I'm curious if it's working...
  10. G

Please help me out w/ new plans

Okay, current setup is 55g display w/ HOB overflow that drains into a 10g sump (all that would fit under custom stand) that only houses a protein skimmer (HOB Red Sea Prizm deluxe at that). I did install a bubble trap on the tank, so it's not even 10g of capacity. I also have a nice (and large)...
  11. G

Suggestions for T5 bulb configuration

I have a standard 55g and a 4x54W t5 fixture over it. The fixture came w/ two Actinics and two 10k daylight bulbs when I bought it. When just the actinics are on, the tank looks great - colors really pop, but it is visibly blue - just a tad more than I'd like. Once the two daylights are on...
  12. G

Yellow watchman goby

I really want one of these fish, but have heard that they are prone to jumping out of tanks or sometimes getting into filtration systems. My tank is uncovered and I have a HOB fuge and a HOB overflow (goes to sump). It is only a 55g tank, but I have a nice sand bed and 75lbs of rock, so plenty...
  13. G

Microbubbles!!!

I got rid of my wet/dry setup b/c I'm switching from fish only to a reef setup, but now I have mircrobubbles like crazy!! I've been battling it for weeks and just can't get them to go away. I have a 55g DT and am using a 10g as a sump (all I could fit under my custom stand). Anyway, at first...
  14. G

WTB - Brightly colored Zoos and blue mushroom

Only one LFS that sells coral around here and I paid $45 for my first piece (zoos - about 25 polyps on the rock). Anyway, I'm sure someone on here has some they're looking to thin out and I'm sure we could get away w/ Priority two day shipping so that it is still worthwhile for me. I'd love to...
  15. G

WTB - Live rock rubble

I have a HOB fuge that has a small compartment filled w/ bio balls - I'm looking to replace them w/ rubble. Since I only need enough to fill the area that's underwater, I'd need around 10-15 golf ball size pieces (or slightly smaller). My local LFS doesn't sell rubble
  16. G

Koralia placement on a 55

Okay, just received my two Koralia Ones today. Up to this point, I've only had my sump return pump and my HOB fuge for flow. My sump return is dead center of the tank aimed at the front wall and creates decent surface agitation when combined w/ the HOB fuge intake and HOB overflow for the sump -...
  17. G

Need Nitrite help w/ a qt/ hospital tank

I have a 10g setup for a clownfish that I'm eventually going to treat w/ Cupramine. I had an ich outbreak (I think) in DT - the tang died, so just this guy left. I understand this is too small for a clown, but it's only temporary - 6wks or so. Anyway, I started it off w/ water from my DT...
  18. G

Do corals need to be quarantined?

Straight forward question - I have fish only right now, but am ready to make the plunge into softies, etc w/ my ultimate goal of keeping a clam. Is it necessary to quarantine? Really the only thing I'm worried about is the fact that I'm halfway through a battle of ich and although I know inverts...
  19. G

Help me convert FO to Reef setup & quick electrical question

I have a 55 that I setup a few months ago. As of right now, it's holding 45lbs live rock and 60lbs of sand. I have 2 damsels and 1 clownfish, but am getting rid of the domino damsel b/c although he looks cool, he is aggressive. Now, as for my transformation, I've slowly pieced it together. I...
  20. G

Does this look like a good HOB fuge??

I want to get a fuge for my 55 DT. I like the HOB idea. I've narrowed it down to two and this company is close to me, within $5 of the other brand, BUT it also includes mud, chaeto and pods. It looks like a good design, but I'm not sure about the bio balls in it. There aren't many, but I know...