Search results

1. SJS

Ordering livestock from liveaquaria - any input?

I recently ordered 2 juvenile clowns, a 6 line wrasse and 8 peppermint shrimp from liveaquaria. All arrived healthy and acclimated well. Seem to still be doing well. I have now placed an order for dwarf angels. I decided to go this route after reading their qt practices. I like that they...
  2. SJS

Mixing Angels and dwarf angels

I'm slowly stocking my 300 gallon, in researching different fish, many resources say to have only one angel and one dwarf angel per tank. I would really like several angels and several dwarf angels. I have read articles showing multiple angels (and tangs) in a reef community. The possible...
  3. SJS

New RBTA and light needs

Brought home a RBTA - put it in the tank, it attached to the side of a large rock. Woke up this morning and it had moved itself to part of the rock that is under a ledge. It was fully opened this morning, however has closed up now. The ledge is a large flat rock and would be very difficult to...
  4. SJS

OT: my dog was bit by a rattlesnake

He is doing OK at the animal hospital - guarded prognosis. I have questions - especially for Western US people. Anyone else had a rattlesnake in their yard and what do you look for to make sure it was just visiting and not living there? Anyone else have a dog who was bit by any type of...
  5. SJS

Anyone have experience with this chiller??

Aquatic Discoveries It is a Peltech brand, I have never seen this around, but a LFS carries them. They are supposed to be energy efficient. Any information would be greatly appreciated - It's getting REALLY hot and I'm tired of putting bags of ice in the sump!
  6. SJS

How do you get fish to eat frozen instead of fresh?

Bought a clown sweetlips (bad impulse buy I did not research enough - but he's here and I'm going to do everything to keep him happy) I got him to eat FRESH bloodworms but before I feel comfortable putting him in the DT i want him to eat frozen bloodworms, formula 1, etc... Does anyone have...
  7. SJS

Sweetlips - Help -anyone have success??

On an impulse and without proper research - we purchased a sweetlips. While at the LFS, usually a reliable source of info, I talked to the husband about this guy, (I usually deal with wife...) and was told he'd get to 8" and was reef safe. My further research says he'll get to 2' 6" and is not...
  8. SJS

Need Help with a Chiller

It's time to get a chiller - question is WHICH ONE? I'd really appreciate your input about brand, performance, size etc... System is 450 gallons. The last few days temps outside have been low 100's and tank went from 79 to 84, that was with us home to open the garage in the evening to let...
  9. SJS

Need input - Helfrich's firefish

My LFS has had one for 3 weeks now - it is eating well and looks great. Any input from those of you who have one, or have had one would be appreciated. From what i have read this is a good reef fish. Needs peaceful community (which I have) Needs rubble - got it. This is an expensive fish...
  10. SJS

Can you change too much water???

I've been using the waste water instead of the RO/DI (yeah I know - but the hoses were mixed up at the manufacturer) resulting in diatom issues (not too bad, but I want them gone!). I changed 40 gallons this morning (System is 300 dt, 90 fuge, 35 fuge and 35 sump). Readings are: Salinity...
  11. SJS

Here's a DUH!! I hope others can learn from!

Several months back - just as I was setting up my new system I bought an RO/DI unit. Hooked it up with a Y to the washing machine outlet read the directions and figured I was good to go. I've been making water etc... I've noticed that I have a brownish colored algae issue - could be diatoms -...
  12. SJS

Disaster?? Will they be OK???

Came home about 9 p.m. tonight and the tank (and system) was 87+ degrees - the temp probe had come out of the tank so the heater just kept heating - lights were off already, turned heater off - aded as much made up water as I had and even dumped in 4 liter bottles of water I had in the fridge...
  13. SJS

amphipods or copepods and where to buy

I've seen both mentioned as supplemental food for reef inhabitants. Is one better than the other? Where to buy and how easy to maintain a healthy supply?? I have 2 fuges - both fairly low flow. One has msb (medium sand bed) base/live rock and a small bit of chaeto. The other has dsb...
  14. SJS

OT: How much is gas in your area??

Just curious as to what the price is around the country. Here in Rancho Cucamonga - (think east of LA, just North of the lovely Ontario-LAX airport) Unleaded was $3.39 at a Shell Station...
  15. SJS

Steph's long odyssey - 300 gallon build

A little over a year ago I bought a tank that came with a house. Previous owners said - it's easy - just add some water (tap is ok) and food. Didn't go well. Called a lfs to have them come out and service it regularly (couldn't get them to show up regularly) then the power went out when we...
  16. SJS

Where to Buy captive bred Banggai Cardinals??

My first thread!! 300 gallon tank is almost ready for fish. I have 3 chromis (Huey, Dewey and Louie) in QT and am looking to find captive bred Bangaii's. Anyone have any suggestions as to a reputable place to find captive bred??