What type of clam is this?

fellers

I was told this is a bursa clam but can not find much info on it.
Hoping you guys might be able to help.
I can get a much better pic when the lights come on tomorrow.
005-1.jpg
[/IMG]

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
I can't see on my phone but the most common clams are dersa, corcea, maxima.

fellers

In fact I can't find any info on a bursa clam... A bursa trigger, but clam no sir.
The guy at my LFS sold it to me out of his display tank and said that you cannot get them any longer. There is a law against harvesting anymore he said.
So, uh, I don't he knew what he was talking about. That is what I am gathering on my own research. However I like the clam but is the 125 worth it? I guess cause I like it:)
But would love to know what it really is then go back there and him again what it is see the bs pile up...

michael_cb_125

The blue clam to the left of the tank under the bluejaw?

If so, that looks like a T. crocea to me. I have never heard of a bursa clam, and I believe that the salesperson was blowing smoke.

As for the clam being worth 125, if you like it then yes it is worth it.
Typically these clams sell for $50 to $150 depending on the size, collection point and coloration.

~Michael

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
No such thing as a bursa clam that I'm aware of, you have two options if it's a blue clam corcea or maxima.

michael_cb_125

you have two options if it's a blue clam corcea or maxima.

Not entirely true. There are solid blue Gigas and Squamosa clams. While these are very rare, they do exist.

I am 99% sure that you have a T. crocea.

~Michael

fellers

You're probably right it does look like a T. crocea. Looks similar to several google images .
Looking at the maxima and the crocea's byssal openings. And after seeing my clam when I was putting it in the DT the byssal opeing is a bigger opening compared to shell size than the maxima's. Maxima, larger clam shell size but same size or a bit smaller byssal opening than the smaller crocea shelled clam.

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
Michael you are correct but if you bought one of those you would know the name $$$$$ lol

I was just going with the commonly availible clams.

michael_cb_125

The only way to determine the species of a clam with near 100% accuracy is by examining the scutes on the shell.

~Michael

michael_cb_125

A picture will help.

But I am VERY sure that your clam is a crocea. The mantle is very indicative of T. crocea. ;)

~Michael