Nobby's S-650

Pancho75

I am sorry for your loss, sometimes this happens and we cannot explain it, I hope the rest of the tank is ok.

My peppermint is always hidden and I rarely see him, but I see him every month or so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nobbygas

Just got my latest ICP test results back, and I'm delighted ! Nothing is really out of sync nor needs correction. I have slightly low Boron, and my Phos is slightly up. My levels of Iodine are at zero though, so I've bought some to dose. Only two or three drops per day.
I'm quite pleased with the latest results.

saintsreturn

Just got my latest ICP test results back, and I'm delighted ! Nothing is really out of sync nor needs correction. I have slightly low Boron, and my Phos is slightly up. My levels of Iodine are at zero though, so I've bought some to dose. Only two or three drops per day.
Good to hear!

Pancho75

Nice job my friend! [emoji41]

Reactions: SPR

emvanburen

That’s awesome! I’ve enjoyed the icp process, every 2-3 months. It showed high chromium and I searched till I found some metal in the tank. Good peace of mind.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nobbygas

That’s awesome! I’ve enjoyed the icp process, every 2-3 months. It showed high chromium and I searched till I found some metal in the tank. Good peace of mind.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I get regular ICP tests, every three or four months. They provide a very good indication of the water quality. I dose the Red Sea Colours ABC&D, and the dosage is based on the Calc uptake. However, I'm always worried that I dose enough/not enough. So it's nice to get regular checks that nothing is going wrong. Yes, I know that our No.1 point of observation is out MK1 Eyeballs, but it's still nice to possibly get some advanced warning if there are problems brewing.
At the end of the day, we're just glorified water keepers :)

Nobbygas

I've had a bit of fun over the weekend. Now, I've been thinking (yes, it does hurt a bit). Many of our fish are singlies, in that we keep many single fish. Some have pairings, some have groups, but I think the majority of our fish are on their own.
So, as fish pass away I've decided to try and make pair's wherever possible when I get replacements. Now we know that some fish are almost impossible to sex, but some are easy.
On Friday, I had the first opportunity to start doing this. I already have a Female Leopard Wrasse. She is peaceful, lovely, and doesn't cause problems in the tank. So, I was in the LFS on Friday, and lo and behold, they had a Male Leopard fish. So with my new experimental method in the back of my mind, I thought it would be a good idea to bring him home. Let's try and have lots of loving couples n the tank.

So, in he goes. The first half an hour he was fine swimming around, then he headed for the sand. Good start and no problems. Saturday morning, he reappeared again, swam around for half an hour, then went back into the sand. Nice. Sunday morning, and up he gets, only to get chased completely around the tank by the Canary Wrasse and the Tamarin Wrasse....so back into the sand he went. Monday morning was carnage! Luckily I was home as I am working the late shift this week (4pm till midnight). The Canary and Tamarin were chasing the poor Male Leopard all over the tank. They just wouldn't leave him alone. Eventually, he was gasping for air near the surface, and he didn't look as though he had anything left. The poor bugger was knackered. I needed to do something. So, I put the fish trap into the tank, and to show how knackered the Leopard was, I was able to put the net into the tank and pick him up first time. I had the feeling that he practically jumped into the net to get away ! I got him into the fish trap and shut the door. At least he has a safe area. The Canary and Tamarin were both trying to get into the trap to get at him. Eventually, the Female Leopard started swimming around the trap as well. That was the situation when I left for work. Tonight, when the Canary and Tamarin have gone to bed, She Who Casts No Shadow has instructions to open the trap to let the Leopard out so he can sleep in the sand. Let's see what happens tomorrow. The Canary and Tamarin have been model citizen's, but they have turned into Torpedo Killing Machines. They do nothing to the Female Leopard, everything is fine there, but the Male.......that's a different story !
Male Leopard in the fish trap.
Leo1.jpg

Female Leopard swimming outside the trap having a look at her new hunk.Leo2.jpg

Female Leopard on her own.
Leo3.jpg

SPR

As we were talking Wrasse the other week, you could get a pair of these and still have plenty of change for the one Labout's Wrasse. These go for about 40 or 50 quid each (?).
Your just trying to feed my addiction now aren’t you!! Lol

I’m not buying anymore fish, well today anyway!

Although, they do look quite nice.........

Pancho75

I've had a bit of fun over the weekend. Now, I've been thinking (yes, it does hurt a bit). Many of our fish are singlies, in that we keep many single fish. Some have pairings, some have groups, but I think the majority of our fish are on their own.
So, as fish pass away I've decided to try and make pair's wherever possible when I get replacements. Now we know that some fish are almost impossible to sex, but some are easy.
On Friday, I had the first opportunity to start doing this. I already have a Female Leopard Wrasse. She is peaceful, lovely, and doesn't cause problems in the tank. So, I was in the LFS on Friday, and lo and behold, they had a Male Leopard fish. So with my new experimental method in the back of my mind, I thought it would be a good idea to bring him home. Let's try and have lots of loving couples n the tank.

So, in he goes. The first half an hour he was fine swimming around, then he headed for the sand. Good start and no problems. Saturday morning, he reappeared again, swam around for half an hour, then went back into the sand. Nice. Sunday morning, and up he gets, only to get chased completely around the tank by the Canary Wrasse and the Tamarin Wrasse....so back into the sand he went. Monday morning was carnage! Luckily I was home as I am working the late shift this week (4pm till midnight). The Canary and Tamarin were chasing the poor Male Leopard all over the tank. They just wouldn't leave him alone. Eventually, he was gasping for air near the surface, and he didn't look as though he had anything left. The poor bugger was knackered. I needed to do something. So, I put the fish trap into the tank, and to show how knackered the Leopard was, I was able to put the net into the tank and pick him up first time. I had the feeling that he practically jumped into the net to get away ! I got him into the fish trap and shut the door. At least he has a safe area. The Canary and Tamarin were both trying to get into the trap to get at him. Eventually, the Female Leopard started swimming around the trap as well. That was the situation when I left for work. Tonight, when the Canary and Tamarin have gone to bed, She Who Casts No Shadow has instructions to open the trap to let the Leopard out so he can sleep in the sand. Let's see what happens tomorrow. The Canary and Tamarin have been model citizen's, but they have turned into Torpedo Killing Machines. They do nothing to the Female Leopard, everything is fine there, but the Male.......that's a different story !
Male Leopard in the fish trap.
View attachment 48738

Female Leopard swimming outside the trap having a look at her new hunk.View attachment 48739

Female Leopard on her own.
View attachment 48740
What can I know about love in fish world????? I don’t even understand human love!

Reactions: SPR

Nobbygas

It's not looking good. Last night the Male Leopard was released from the safe area, and he went straight into the sand. This morning, he was the first fish awake, which is unusual for a Wrasse. He looked stressed, and was swimming near the surface. Eventually, he ended up just laying on a rock. I was able to put my hand in and pick him up, and I put him back into the trap, but he is just laying there. He is still breathing and is still alive. I can either take him out and finish it, or leave him be and maybe he'll pull through, but it's not looking good at the moment.

Pancho75

I am sorry for your Leopard Wrasse, I hope he can make it and perhaps make it back to the LFS? I don’t know just saying.

Nobbygas

I think I have found the problem with the aggressive yellow wrasse. When I bought it, it was labeled as a Canary Wrasse, but I now believe that it is in fact a female Banana Wrasse. The difference?
Canary Wrasse are described as 'peaceful' and grow to a max of 5 inches.
The Banana Wrasse is described as 'aggressive' and can grow to 12 inches ! This thing could well outgrow the tank !

I'm not sure what to do now.

SPR

I think I have found the problem with the aggressive yellow wrasse. When I bought it, it was labeled as a Canary Wrasse, but I now believe that it is in fact a female Banana Wrasse. The difference?
Canary Wrasse are described as 'peaceful' and grow to a max of 5 inches.
The Banana Wrasse is described as 'aggressive' and can grow to 12 inches ! This thing could well outgrow the tank !

I'm not sure what to do now.
Well if you can catch it maybe take it back or you could well have problems in the future?

And I appreciate ‘if you can catch it’!

Pancho75

Sorry for the fish, how to be sure? those two a very similar.

I have also a Canary Wrasse (Coris or Yellow) he is a curious but timid fish.

Nobbygas

Sorry for the fish, how to be sure? those two a very similar.

I have also a Canary Wrasse (Coris or Yellow) he is a curious but timid fish.

You can tell by the mark on it's back for one. The Canary has what can only be described as a 'false eye' on it's dorsal fin. It is a definite spot. The Banana doesn't have this, although it does have a black mark on it's back. Also, the face of the growing Banana Wrasse is quite distinctive. It has some lovely orange and yellow stripes on it's face.To be fair, when they are small it is difficult to notice any difference, and the shop did say it was a Canary Wrasse.
My problem now is that I think if I put any other Wrasse into the tank, this monster will kill them.