Nobby's S-650

SPR

Somedays....somedays........

My Orange Spotted Goby popped it's mortal coil. There didn't appear to be anything wrong, no marks or anything, so I am assuming it was just an age thing, as he was a bit of a chunky long monster. I have had him for just under two years.

So, off I pop to the LFS to get another one, as in my opinion they are essential for the aquarium. I get a nice little one with plenty of growth left in him. Do all the normal acclimatization stuff, and pop him in. He was swimming around and sucking on the sand like a good little chap. I then had to go to work........I came home just after midnight to find him on the floor in front of the tank, even though I have a Red Sea Mesh cover with not a single gap ! How...what!!!!
Are you sure you put the mesh in the cover!

I don’t know how they can get through the mesh, short of a very high velocity launch and perfect angle! Lol

Nobbygas

Problems, problems........

For the last few weeks I have had a growing problem with Cyano/Diatoms. My sand is normally pristine, but a horrid red gunge has been growing, and getting worse. I tested and tested and found my Nitrates and Phos were creeping up. I upped the dosage of NOPOX, and still they were climbing. I upped the dosage again, but it had no effect. I've been scratching my head in true Stan Laurel fashion. I checked my RODI water, and that was fine. I have never had a problem with gunge on my sand since starting the tank.

However, today, I found the culprit. It was the hose connecting the NOPOX container to the Dosing Pump. The nipple part on the container had 'broken off', but it was difficult to see as there was only a tiny gap, so there was no NOPOX being fed from the container. I only noticed because my 'housekeeping diary' informed me that I should top up the NOPOX container, but when I looked there was a full litre in there.......that led me to look even more closely, whereupon I found the problem.

So, it will be easy to fix the problem. Re-establish the NOPOX dosing regime, syphon up the gunge a bit, and wait. The positive point though is that it demonstrates what a good job that NOPOX does! I think there hasn't been any NOPOX dosed in at least four weeks (could be longer), which is why the Nitrates and Phos were climbing out of control.

So, it's Huzzah all round for NOPOX.

SPR

Problems, problems........

For the last few weeks I have had a growing problem with Cyano/Diatoms. My sand is normally pristine, but a horrid red gunge has been growing, and getting worse. I tested and tested and found my Nitrates and Phos were creeping up. I upped the dosage of NOPOX, and still they were climbing. I upped the dosage again, but it had no effect. I've been scratching my head in true Stan Laurel fashion. I checked my RODI water, and that was fine. I have never had a problem with gunge on my sand since starting the tank.

However, today, I found the culprit. It was the hose connecting the NOPOX container to the Dosing Pump. The nipple part on the container had 'broken off', but it was difficult to see as there was only a tiny gap, so there was no NOPOX being fed from the container. I only noticed because my 'housekeeping diary' informed me that I should top up the NOPOX container, but when I looked there was a full litre in there.......that led me to look even more closely, whereupon I found the problem.

So, it will be easy to fix the problem. Re-establish the NOPOX dosing regime, syphon up the gunge a bit, and wait. The positive point though is that it demonstrates what a good job that NOPOX does! I think there hasn't been any NOPOX dosed in at least four weeks (could be longer), which is why the Nitrates and Phos were climbing out of control.

So, it's Huzzah all round for NOPOX.
It’s good stuff then obviously!

Glad you got that one sorted out

Nobbygas

I've calculated that there was no NOPOX dosed for at least fifty days ! It will take some time for the sand to recover, but that's not a problem. The corals have certainly enjoyed the extra Phos and Nitrate.

Nobbygas

Unbelievable. Yesterday I got yet another Orange Spotted Goby, and this morning I find him on top of the mesh. Two in two weeks! I have been offered a pair of Jam Sandwich Gobies. Anyone know what they are like?

Nobbygas

I love my Filefish! My Aips problem has basically gone away. I can only see two very small Aips that are difficult for the Filefish to reach as they are at the base of SPS. I was getting worried as they were beginning to spread but the filefish has sorted them out.

Nobbygas

I lost my beloved Orange Spotted Goby recently, and as mentioned in previous posts, on two occasions I bought a new one, only for them both to get through me Red Sea mesh cover. The first one I found on the floor in front of the tank, and the second was actually on top of the mesh. Now, I have a theory. Both times, I tried to see if the dead fish would fit back through the net, and both times it appeared that they couldn't, but they obviously did. I think what they did was to get their head through the net, and then thrash frantically until they pushed their whole body through. The first one still had the strength to wriggle and fall off onto the floor, and the second one just dies where he had come through.
The interesting point here (if you're still awake) is that I think that the mesh actually killed them! Maybe, on both occasions, they might have just been in mid air for a second, before plopping back into the water and settling down. By going through the net, there was no chance to get back into the water.

Which begs the question, if I get another one, will it pay to remove the mesh cover for a few day?

SPR

I lost my beloved Orange Spotted Goby recently, and as mentioned in previous posts, on two occasions I bought a new one, only for them both to get through me Red Sea mesh cover. The first one I found on the floor in front of the tank, and the second was actually on top of the mesh. Now, I have a theory. Both times, I tried to see if the dead fish would fit back through the net, and both times it appeared that they couldn't, but they obviously did. I think what they did was to get their head through the net, and then thrash frantically until they pushed their whole body through. The first one still had the strength to wriggle and fall off onto the floor, and the second one just dies where he had come through.
The interesting point here (if you're still awake) is that I think that the mesh actually killed them! Maybe, on both occasions, they might have just been in mid air for a second, before plopping back into the water and settling down. By going through the net, there was no chance to get back into the water.

Which begs the question, if I get another one, will it pay to remove the mesh cover for a few day?
Is there something that’s making them want to jump to their death ?

Don’t you have a couple of psychotic wrasse in there, I think you told me, that are maybe scaring them

I can see what you say about the mesh killing them, but then again if it wasn’t there, although not for certain, they would be dead on the floor instead.

Or maybe they just don’t want to live with you! Lol

Nobbygas

The second one seemed fine. He spent ages digging out a nice hole for himself, but at some point after lights out...the other fish don't bother them at all.

You may have something there......what if the fish only speak German, and there am I wittering on in English?

Nobbygas

OK, so I am going to pop into a LFS on my way home from work to see if I can get yet another Orange Spotted Goby. The last two I got from a different store and I just cannot face the shame of going back there and buying a third. If there is not one available then tomorrow I shall go to a different store where they have some Jam Sandwich Gobies (Valenciennea Helsdingenii) that I want to have a look at. I know that have have a pair, and my new tactic is to buy fish in pairs if possible.

If I manage to get an OSG I think I will leave the mesh cover off for a couple of nights. If he jumps, then he jumps. It is a chance game then whether he falls back into the water, or not. With the mesh cover on, the experience is that he will die.

Nobbygas

In other news, I reported recently that my NOPOX dosing regime had failed for about fifty days. This resulted in a large rise of Nitrates and Phos which led to a Cyano outbreak. I used Chemiclean to get rid of it, and it worked beautifully within 48 hours. I would recommend using it if you have a need. Be warned though, it sends your skimmer crazy !

Pancho75

OK, so I am going to pop into a LFS on my way home from work to see if I can get yet another Orange Spotted Goby. The last two I got from a different store and I just cannot face the shame of going back there and buying a third. If there is not one available then tomorrow I shall go to a different store where they have some Jam Sandwich Gobies (Valenciennea Helsdingenii) that I want to have a look at. I know that have have a pair, and my new tactic is to buy fish in pairs if possible.

If I manage to get an OSG I think I will leave the mesh cover off for a couple of nights. If he jumps, then he jumps. It is a chance game then whether he falls back into the water, or not. With the mesh cover on, the experience is that he will die.
Another approach could be to buy a large OSG, then hopefully will resist the bullying better and may not go through the mesh, good luck!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nobbygas

Another approach could be to buy a large OSG, then hopefully will resist the bullying better and may not go through the mesh, good luck!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's finding a bigger one though! Bullying is not the issue. I've just been to one LFS and they didn't have one.

Nobbygas

OK, so I gave up on finding a decent sized Orange Spotted Goby. I did find some small ones, but as the last two have escaped, and died, through the mesh cover I didn't think it worthwhile to try the same thing again.
So......I bought a pair of Jam Sandwich Gobies, or two-striped Gobies (why do fish have so many different names?). They came as a pair and spend most of their time together. When they dig a hole, they do it in tandem. As one comes to the surface to spit out the sand, the other dives in to get the next mouthful. It's very synchronized ! They are doing a great job of cleaning up the sand after the Cyano outbreak.
As they were a pair it also fitted in with my new policy of buying fish in pairs whenever possible. They are also a bit bigger than the OSG's on offer, so can't escape through the mesh.