Mayja's RSR 450 Reef Adventure!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mayja

Social Media Moderator
RS STAFF
That is great! But not the smartest fish -- is that your intake? New fry don't have a chance :doh:
Yeah, it's the flatest surface and it gets awesome flow! Lol! But, at least they finally laid eggs.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Mayja

Social Media Moderator
RS STAFF
Hey all!

I wanted to give you the head's up as to where I've been. Life gets busy and then you realize how long since you've updated your tank thread. @Hutch and I are doing well, and so is the tank. But, we're facing a new challenge together, and here's your warning: it's a long story.

We rent a house and we have lived there for the past four years. When I my RSR 450 was delivered in a crate, @StirCrayzy helped us move it into the house. Last year when we renewed our lease, we discussed the possibility of buying the house with the landlord. The landlord was eager and said "no rush" as we wanted to save more for the down payment.

Well, the week before Labor Day, we get a letter from the landlord stating that our lease is over in 60 days and he's not going to renew it. We're stunned. So, we call him up and asked about the purchase. After a lot of back and forth reviewing the comparative prices for houses in the area and the current market rate, we made an offer and he flat out rejected it. He wanted $100k more than what we offered!

So, we realized that we needed to move in 60 days. I noticed that there was a house in our subdivision that's around the corner from us that was just put on the market the same day we got the letter from the landlord.. We walked over to check it out, and it's the same exact layout of our current house, but with a walkout basement and newer updates to the roof, furnace, etc. We called the realtor, viewed the house, made an offer, and the sellers accepted it -- all within two days! I used to work in the mortgage industry, and I called my friend who is a broker and asked him to get me a mortgage stat. We just cleared underwriting this week, and should be closing by the end of the month. Whew!

Now, I have to move my tank. :concern: I am dreading this so much. I cannot lift heavy things due to my back. I've been calling/emailing local companies in the area that do custom tank builds and are used to moving large tanks to see if they could break down, move, and setup the tank at the new house. I'm still waiting for responses, and I'm starting to get nervous. I still have time. We won't be able to start moving in until October, but I want to get an estimate in the meantime.

There have been a couple changes to the inhabitants of the tank. We had to say goodbye to the wrasse and the dwarf angel. I had purchased them from a fellow reefer who moved out of state and he had them for years, so it must have been their time. The clownfish are still laying eggs, and now my bangaai cardinals are doing the same!

Hope everyone is doing well and that your tanks are healthy.
Mayja

StirCrayzy

Wow!
i hate moving, sucks that you got stiffed by your landlord, but probably works out better, since its a good market for buying right now. Id offer to help, but at this point im putting off moving myself because of (kids)school, soccer , work, and general fall chaos. I would love to grab a beer with you guys once things settle down.

Mayja

Social Media Moderator
RS STAFF
Wow!
i hate moving, sucks that you got stiffed by your landlord, but probably works out better, since its a good market for buying right now. Id offer to help, but at this point im putting off moving myself because of (kids)school, soccer , work, and general fall chaos. I would love to grab a beer with you guys once things settle down.
No worries! I'm looking for local companies to help us move this time. Aqua FX is my first choice, but they haven't called me back yet.

Mayja

Social Media Moderator
RS STAFF
No worries! I'm looking for local companies to help us move this time. Aqua FX is my first choice, but they haven't called me back yet.

Moby Dick Pet Store in Waterford will do the move! We're scheduled for 10/9.

Mayja

Social Media Moderator
RS STAFF
Greetings fellow reefers,

Here is the update on my tank move for my Red Sea Reefer 450:

TLDR version: they dropped the sump. And then they dropped the main tank. Both shattered. I'm heartbroken. They're buying me a new tank and sump. Continue reading for the in-depth saga.

When I booked this appointment two weeks ago, I gave the dimensions of my tank, sump and stand as well as the fact that they are both glass and their approximate weight. The main tank without water, rock and sand is 220lbs. I let them know in advance this would take a lot to move. They estimated about 4-5 hours of labor for $100/hour.

Two gentlemen arrived at 11:30am this morning. I shook their hands, welcomed them inside, and showed them my tank.

They looked at the tank as I explained how my husband would handle the disassembly of the electronics (Reef Angel controller), that the live rock was stacked (not glued) and easy to remove, and that most of my corals were not fixed to the rocks yet so they were also easy to move. These guys just stood there, not saying a word.

Finally, the first guy says to the other guy, who's standing there with his arms crossed, grimacing, "So, are you ready?" "No," he answers. My husband and I give a nervous laugh as they head into their truck to get their equipment. I'm already thinking that this second grumpy guy is really negative and not customer service minded, but whatever. I let it go.

They set-up and start removing the corals and rock. They offer to also clean the tank glass, which I graciously accept. Everything is off to a good start. I'm chatting away, offering fresh towels if they need them, and helping out where I can. My husband clears out the contoller and its parts. They catch all the fish, and clean out the sand.

Finally, it's time to move the main tank. The first guy's hands are slipping off the glass, so my husband offers him work gloves, which he happily accepted (why didn't he have his own???). The grumpy guy has his own gloves, except he can't find one of them, so he's pulling a Michael Jackson one-glove routine. My husband offers him work gloves as well, but this guy declines.

They manage to lift the tank and move it out the front door and are almost to the truck, when one glove guy says his hand is slipping. My husband assists by holding up the middle, and rescues the tank. It safely makes it into the truck. Barely.

They return for the stand. They were going to leave the sump and all the equipment in the stand and carry it that way, but grumpy guy said it's too heavy and they should remove the sump. We agree.

As they are removing the sump, grumpy guy's hand slips again. This time, the corner of the sump hits the tile floor and shatters. What little water was left begins to flow from the sump onto the floor. It's toast. Thankfully, the tile survives.

I immediately get on the phone to Red Sea customer service to see if they can ship me a replacement sump, which is tricky since they no longer make the Reefer 450. They upgraded the Reefer line recently. Amanda answers and confirms they have one in stock, and they'll freight ship it from Texas. I tell the guys that they must pay for it, and they call their store manager. Yup, they'll pay for it.

I then say to the guys that s**t happens, and we'll get the stand and the main tank to the house. Then they will take my fish, live rock, and corals to board them at their shop (pet store) while we wait for the sump to arrive. They'll finish the job then. They agree, with many apologies.

We drive to the house. They unload the stand - no problem. This time for the main tank, grumpy guy accepts the offer of a second glove. My husband also volunteers to hold the middle all the way to help with the weight.

They walk the main tank to the front steps, which are not tall. I'm standing on the porch holding the screen door wide open so I can see everything that happens next.

The first guy goes backwards up the first step. Before he can get his footing up the second step, grumpy guy moves forward. The first guy falls and drops the tank on its corner. Glass goes everywhere. My husband tried to catch the tank, but there was no way. He injured his wrist in the process.

I ask the first guy if he's injured, and he says no. Grumpy guy hangs his head while leaning on the tank now resting on the ground. My husband walks away to cool his temper for a moment. I say, "I better call Red Sea back and see if they have a main replacement tank."

I call Red Sea, and I'm able to speak with the same customer service agent, which was a comfort considering I was heartbroken and needed a familiar voice.

You see, I was the first person in North America to get the Reefer 450. It was serial #39 off the line. I remember having to wait weeks to receive it after ordering due to a California dock worker strike, which delayed the unloading of my tank off an oceanliner. It was just hitting me that my tank was ruined, but I kept my cool.

"Hi, it's me again. You're not going to believe this..." "Oh no!" Amanda exclaimed. She already knew what I was going to say. She immediately started clacking away on her keyboard, looking for another Reefer 450. They have one. And they can combine the shipping with the sump too. And they can ship it tomorrow. Red Sea and Amanda are awesome.

The two guys are standing in the garage with my husband as he instructed them to move the damaged tanks there for now. I let them know that there is a replacement available, and they breathed a sigh of relief. They had just spoken with their manager again to let him know they dropped the main tank, and they would have to replace that one too. My husband tells them that we'll hold onto the damaged tanks until the new ones arrive, and they will take them for disposal at that time. They agreed, with many apologies.

So, now we must wait for a new main tank and sump to be delivered. My fish, corals, and live rock are being boarded at the store. We'll visit them tomorrow and meet with the store manager then.

I didn't cry until after they left. I managed to keep my cool and hold it together until then, but the floodgates opened after that. That tank was my 40th birthday present from my husband. My poor fish! Who knows if they'll survive all this stress, not to mention the corals.

But, there is a happy note to add to this tale. I got a call back from Red Sea. They told me that since I was practically completely replacing my entire tank setup, why not upgrade to their latest model?

The Reefer 525 XL is the same length as the 450, but it's 2.6 inches deeper. My main tank would increase from 92 to 105 gallons, and my sump from 24 to 33 gallons. It has their newly redesigned sump, which has separate skimmer, return pump, and refugium chambers, and the plumbing is easier to access. The ATO that comes with it is also larger, and the filter socks are upgraded too. When I asked why, they said because they understood the pain I must be experiencing, and they wanted to help with a new housewarming gift.

The floodgates have reopened.

I'll keep you posted on the continuation of this saga. I will say that the store has so far been very reasonable with no arguments or pushback over replacing the tanks, or boarding my fish. I will not make any final judgements until everything is resolved.

Until then,
Mayja

Reactions: SPR

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Crazy !!! Best of luck, let us know how it sorts !

Very nice of Red Sea to offer 525XL and quick shipment ! Red Sea always has Superior Customer Service !!! Cheers Amanda !!! Look forward to pics !

@RedSeaKev

Mayja

Social Media Moderator
RS STAFF
We visited the fish at the store on Wednesday. They all made it, and are happy and eating. The corals and live rock are fine as well. It's allowing me to breathe a bit easier. The new tank shipped yesterday.

Mayja

Social Media Moderator
RS STAFF
I am happy to report that my new tank was successfully moved this past Wednesday. Moby Dick Pet Store showed up with a crew of five guys, including Gary, one of the co-owners, to move the tank. They used dollys, ramps, and specially purchased four of those suction glass handles to lift the tank.

The two guys who originally did the failed move, then stayed to plumb the new tank, and set up the live rock, new sand, and fill with water. No leaks.

The store continues to host my fish and corals so the tank can stabilize a bit before introducing them back to their new home. They said that my torch and toadstool leather did not survive, and they will be replacing them.

I was very impressed with how the store handled this situation, and will be visiting them again in the future for coral and fish purchases.

Mayja

Social Media Moderator
RS STAFF
Introducing the RSR 525XL. This marks the end of my RSR 450 thread, as I am starting over again. I'll be starting a new thread soon.
799d035db24813a87ed5546ec6b0d32f.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.