Mayja's RSR 450 Reef Adventure!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
I got halfway through typing a response at 4am this morning while waiting at the vet then forgot by the time we got home so I'll try again now that I'm awake lol

Growth looks really good Mayja :) and the tank is looking really healthy :D Nice pair of hell-freaky firefish too :p

In terms of the mirulina, it could be a flow issue. Is the centre getting enough flow to keep particulate matter from settling on top of it? Because that would be my immediate guess as to why the tissue is dying off like that. It's not in great shape so if you can, try and trim the healthy pieces off and try different locations in the tank. I also wouldn't throw him out either as if you really like it there's a chance once it's happy and settled again it'll all come back over time :)
Hopefully we can get it growing and healthy again :)

MatroxD

Liking good M! And hmm, I don't have that coral, in particular, so I'm following along, as I'm interested also.. But I think wrangy said light and flow.. I tend to agree with that, because my blue chalice, it did something similar at one point when it wasn't getting enough light and flow to it.. But it's so hard to say.. But maybe, try increasing your blue levels maybe 20% or so.. This tank I have had my blues cranked to 100 with the colors lower.. See what happens if you try that over a week or so..

Sent from my SM-N920F using Tapatalk

Mayja

Social Media Moderator
RS STAFF
I need an ID.

Woke up to this thing engulfing a snail. Never seen this one before.

???

bd22486c5ba4ee87989107d1aad94af9.jpg

9f012b4073e9245d409232f4fdf6bb77.jpg

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

MatroxD

I need an ID.

???

What the Heck?! I've never seen anything like this.. But if it's eating snails, it's probably not good.. If nothing else, grab it, put it in some kind of container in the sump after replies, in case others suggest the same..

Weird.. Hmmnnn..

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Mayja

Social Media Moderator
RS STAFF
8a8a535aeed25f7fa6acf849d466753f.jpg

Already out. It looks like a giant flatworm, or a nudibranch. Not sure, and now I gotta get to work! [emoji15]

MatroxD

4f1737ab2002dbc22705bedcf4413699.jpg

In other news, we installed my new reactor yesterday.

06cbbe3beb23b08864ae36eed3beff8c.jpg

And I now have a skimmer neck cleaner.

Productive tank weekend.

Clever! Is that an AVAST swabbie? I've been thinking about one for a long time, but my slimer is so crazy big now..

And that's gfo?

MatroxD

8a8a535aeed25f7fa6acf849d466753f.jpg

Already out. It looks like a giant flatworm, or a nudibranch. Not sure, and now I gotta get to work! [emoji15]

I hear you.. That thing looks nasty.. Almost as bad as that worm I had when I set up my 50 a year and a half ago.. I can't remember what they are called, but it was about a foot long.. Nasty, and they eat fish..

But what you have there my friend is definitely a Tropi call, if no one else can figure it out.. Lol, I'm sure those goofballs can..

Last edited:

Mayja

Social Media Moderator
RS STAFF
Clever! Is that an AVAST swabbie? I've been thinking about one for a long time, but my slimer is so crazy big now..

And that's gfo?

It's a BRS deluxe reactor with both carbon and GFO... not tumbling.

The skimmer is a Vertex Omega 150 with the special neck cleaner attachment. It really helps remove crud so I don't have to clean it as often.

mtsully71

I need an ID.

???

Dang, I would absolutely soil my pullups if I had that in my tank. Think I saw that thing in a horror movie. Pulling anything that big out is a good thing, ID later!

Mayja

Social Media Moderator
RS STAFF
Dang, I would absolutely soil my pullups if I had that in my tank. Think I saw that thing in a horror movie. Pulling anything that big out is a good thing, ID later!
Riiiight?!?! If anyone knows wtf this thing is, it's @Oxylebius. It looks like a mushroom that decided to become a roving monster.

MatroxD

It's a BRS deluxe reactor with both carbon and GFO... not tumbling.

The skimmer is a Vertex Omega 150 with the special neck cleaner attachment. It really helps remove crud so I don't have to clean it as often.

And that's the thing.. I have to clean mine at least once every two weeks(I'm bad about cleaning skimmers).. So a neck cleaner would be very helpful.. How often do you have it wipe? Details, details, educate me on this one! [emoji4] [emoji4] [emoji4]

Mayja

Social Media Moderator
RS STAFF
And that's the thing.. I have to clean mine at least once every two weeks(I'm bad about cleaning skimmers).. So a neck cleaner would be very helpful.. How often do you have it wipe? Details, details, educate me on this one! [emoji4] [emoji4] [emoji4]

It only cleans the inner neck, so you still have to drain and clean the outer cup. But this saves you from having to get the inner neck where the bubbles first come up. It really lengthens the time I need to clean the outer cup. I can drain it more often before I need to disassemble the whole thing for a true cleaning.

@Hutch currently set it to automatically swipe the neck once every four hours for two minutes a session. You have to make sure that the blade is wet by wet skimming otherwise it will stick to the side of the cup and not turn.

MatroxD

It only cleans the inner neck, so you still have to drain and clean the outer cup. But this saves you from having to get the inner neck where the bubbles first come up. It really lengthens the time I need to clean the outer cup. I can drain it more often before I need to disassemble the whole thing for a true cleaning.

@Hutch currently set it to automatically swipe the neck once every four hours for two minutes a session. You have to make sure that the blade is wet by wet skimming otherwise it will stick to the side of the cup and not turn.

I will have to bug AVAST then and try to obtain one.. And I wet skim anyhow(have to with the pellets), so I wouldn't have to change much.. But cool, thanks for the info! It's on my list..

MatroxD

I was thinking the same thing. [emoji20]

I bet you it was.. Especially the way you described it. It just sounded strange and I had never heard of that(if you recall).. I bet you now that, that jerk is gone, you might have better success.. But.. Do they shoot offspring?

Status
Not open for further replies.