Tank turned 49 this year

DaveK

At least you did find the problem and fixed it/ There is a certain satisfaction to that, even if you find the problem 10 years later. Sort of that I finally got it kind of feeling.

Paul B

It was a great feeling even though it was such a simple problem and I fixed it in like 30 seconds. I am glad it wasn't a huge crack in the hull . I don't like those problems.
Especially since today I ordered a new mooring cover which set me back two grand. :confused:

Yesterday I went to a party on a rooftop of one of the oldest hotels in Manhattan,
(Not my Idea) But they had a raw bar and if they have a raw bar, I am there. This was a birthday party for my Son N Laws Mother.
There was maybe 60 people there and I got to meet some artists and show off some pictures of my Steam Punk stuff. My Grand Kids were also there. I don't know what this thing costs but they charge you $57.00 "extra" per person to have raw oysters there.
An oyster costs about two bucks so I am not sure how they figure that ridiculous price and I don't think most people even eat raw oysters which is fine for me because that is one of my favorite foods.
My Daughter of course was there and she is actually shorter than me.
Here she is wearing 8" shoes. No, I am not kidding, it looked like she had cinder blocks taped to her feet. The soles were about 2" and the heels were 8".
Like Duh, how do you walk in such things?

cracker

You need to return to Florida where the oysters are reasonable and so salty good !
When is your next trip south planned?

Paul B

I just came back from my boat and am thrilled because not only is the bilge bone dry, but it is spider web bone dry, and not just any bone dry, because bones can get wet, but bones from a Tyrannosaurus Rex that died of thirst in the middle of the Sahara desert on a Tuesday.

Paul B

I am looking for a new (or used) outboard for my 7 1/2' dinghy. I bought one two years ago but it is from China and a piece of garbage. It is a 2 1/2hp 2 stroke something I can't pronounce but the main problem is that it is air cooled. Air cooled anything run by gas is silly. I want a water cooled, 2 stroke 3 1/2 or 4 hp motor not from China because I want it to actually run without blowing up after one season.
I will probably get a used one because I only use it maybe 2 or 3 hours a year so I don't want to spend over $1,000.00 for it. I can probably get a used 2 stroke for 3 or 4 hundred.
I want a 2 stroke because they are lighter and smaller as I am not interested in gas economy when I am using less than one gallon a year. I can go for the extra fifty cents in gas a year.
2 stroke motors are so simple a 5 year old girl could pull it apart in ten minutes with a pliers and a comb from a Barbie Doll. Maybe Airline Hostess Barbie or Supermodel Barbie.
On my first boat I had a 140hp 2 stroke motor but one day it blew up.

We were out with some old people (who at that time were much younger than I am now). It was a beautiful night and all of a sudden I heard this "Pop". The engine stopped. I tried to start it but there was no sound.
I took off the engine cover and saw all these parts fall into the ocean. The connecting rod came right through the side of the block knocking the starter off the engine and I could see daylight coming right through the cylinder.
I had a pliers and maybe a screwdriver with me and my wife said to me, "Can you fix it?"
I said, Yes I can, after I buy a new power head for about $5,000.00 and spend a few days installing it.
That is exactly what I did but it took all summer to get the new power head.
Of course I had to buy new pistons, rings, reed valves and everything else except for maybe the propeller.

yungreefer2410

I like 4 strokes because they are 1000x quieter. So I always vote 4 stroke Yamaha or honda. Super solid will start up for years and years,

You could find an older model for sub $1k, here in Florida anyway!

Paul B

Yungreefer, you are totally correct that a 4 stroke is much better, quieter and will last longer. But they are also bigger, heavier and cost a lot more.
I need to take it off my tiny Zodiac while it is in the water and store it in a tiny compartment in the back of my boat. The tiny, air cooled, 2 stroke motor I have now just about fits in there and I can easily pick it up with one hand which is necessary because I need to steady myself and hold on with one hand as I remove the motor and put it on my swim platform.
I will also probably have to get a Yamaha or Honda because American made motors are very hard to find, but I don't normally buy Japanese or Chinese if I can help it, but I don't think I can in this case.

Paul B

My new pair of Janss Pipefish seem to be doing fine. I needed to really step up my brine shrimp hatching operation and I am probably still woefully to short to provide enough food for all the planktavores I have
If I get time (and that won't happen until the winter) I will build another shrimp hatchery that I can fill in between the times I fill this one now, which is every day. But the shrimp take about 36 hours to hatch so I play RAP music near their hatchery which cracks their eggs and they get out faster. Then they cram themselves as far from the music as they can so I can easily get them.

Paul B

I will tell you about a Jiboni. A few years ago I went to an optometrist, or optomoligist, I forget, but it is the one who tests your eyes for glasses so I guess they have to go to about as much schooling as a guy who takes up the hem on a Supermodels dress.
But I don't really know.
Anyway when I would look to the side, I would see double. That was fine if I was looking at a beautiful woman, because I would see two of them, but if I was trying to change lanes, I would see two tractor trailers coming at me and I wouldn't know which one to get out of the way of.
So this "Jiboni" is examining me and he notices this so he turns to my wife and says. Your husband has a Brain Tumor.
This coming from an eye glass guy.
My wife immediately goes into panic mode and gets the horrors calling my life insurance company and sizing me up for a suit.

So he says I have to go for an MRI of my head.
I go for the MRI, then a brain tumor test where you look into this black box and you have to push the button when you see little Supermodels running across the screen like comets.
I did all that and what do you know, No brain tumor (Thank God)
Not that I got upset anyway because like I said he was "Jiboni" eye glass guy.

It turned out to be a slight weak muscle in my eye and I needed eye muscle surgery.

So I go to Manhattan to the Eye hospital and this normally only happens to little children so the doctor comes in with one of those flashlights on his head with a "Big Bird puppet" hanging on to it.
I go in for the surgery and of course I have to get naked, I ask if they are sure they are working on the right end of me and they assured me they were.

So they wheel me into the operating room and stick me on this aluminum table which I think they just removed a case of Bud Light from because it was ice cold. Then the nurse sticks me with the IV which she just took out of the same place they stored the Bud Light so I am shaking because I am freezing as there are parts of me that are not used to being on such a cold table.

(I know I told this story on here but I am not sure if it was last week or last decade so if I just posted it, go and watch Oprah, I think she is giving away cat chow to homeless bowlegged cats on welfare)

The nurse (who of course has her face covered with the surgical mask) sees me shivering and she comes over to hold my hand. She says "Oh Honey, don't be nervous, this is a simple procedure"

I said "Nervous!" how could I be nervous? I am laying on a table naked, surrounded by 7 beautiful Babes!

They all laughed so hard they almost lost their masks.

Then the Dr. comes in and he says, "you have him on the table backwards" which didn't give me a lot of confidence. Now I was shaking because I figured they would mistakenly remove my gall bladder through my nose or some other "important" part that I may need.

Paul B

We took the boat to the Bronx last night for dinner to my favorite clam place and on the way back to Long Island as I was driving I held the phone behind me and without looking I took this. I think it was kind of cool.
To make this post about fish (because I know I don't do that a lot) There were a lot of fish jumping but I doubt they were copperband butterflies.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
I am looking for a new (or used) outboard for my 7 1/2' dinghy

Honda 2.3 HP Weight 29 lbs $927 and free shipping - would this work? Honda from overseas but makes a quality engine. This one is the worlds lightest four-stroke outboard... they say, is 29 lbs too heavy for the back or the Zodiac ? Five (5) Year Factory Warranty

BF2.3DKSCH__1.jpg

http://www.electricgeneratordepot.c...u8qXS1ej19-mssY-CCMPOK6YnEE57OIUaAuuAEALw_wcB

Last edited:

Paul B

Not to heavy, but too weak. I already have a 2/1/2hp motor but it is to slow so I wanted like a 4hp.
I would rather it not be Japanese but I realize my options are extremely limited unless I get a used one.

That does seem nice and light though.

Paul B

These Purple Queen Anthias are extremely cool and colorful but they do require a little different care than say a tang or manta ray. Well, actually Manta Rays do kind of eat in a similar way, kind of but these Anthias require tiny food and although they will eat it when there is no current they seem to really enjoy eating in a swift current.

I feed them new born brine shrimp every day but I also add either frozen new born brine shrimp, cyclopeze, fish eggs or really anything tiny. I am not sure how they can see the food moving so fast but there are tiny things they won't eat. At first they will only eat live food but they eventually get the idea and I am certain that in time they will sit at the table with me and eat linguini and clams.

I need to hatch shrimp every day because I have about 10 fish that depend on that diet including mandarins and five pipefish.

I don't have a picture of the Manta Ray.

Paul B

Cracker, I forget how many there are but I think I have 5 or 6, There are three different kinds so it gets confusing. I never know how many fish I have as some I don't see for weeks as my tank is built in a wall and I can't see most of the back. Some fish like possum wrasses rarely come out and I know a yellow wrasse and 2 flasher wrasses jumped out last month.
You can see in that picture that two of them have a yellow stripe and one doesn't, there is also one (or two) that are more orange.