Skimmer not making its way into the cup RSM 130

Jax

Purchased a used, up and running RSM 130.
Have had it up and running at my house now for 2 weeks and Skimmer is bubbling trying to make its way up but just cant seem to get out of the neck into the cup. (I have read that you can adjust the neck but the neck is built into the skimmer cup and cannot be adjusted?)
I have checked all lines, inspected pump, Open valve, closed valve, half way valve... No difference. I have the valve all the way open now for the last 3 days and still not making it into the cup.
I have read that checking the water level on the side of the unit to make sure it is spot on or just below but my RSM 130 does not have windows on the side to check. Must be an older model?
Anyway, I can hear the skimmer bubbling and see the bubbles trying to make it up, just not enough to make it to the cup. Does the "Adjustable grate" have anything to do with it?
Any help would gladly be appreciated.
Cheers!

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
yes - you have the original RSM 130 the tips you have researched well, as mostly about the RSM 130D (deluxe)

having said this... water level is the key and the adjustable grate determines the water level in the back area, you will have to play with that, opening it up more allows more water into the back and the skimmer - most of these tanks need to be topped off daily for reliable skimming - around a bit less than 1/2 gallon a day of plain ro/di is common - hope this helps !

welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members

Start a tank thread & share your tank with us so we can follow along, we love pics :nessie:

Jax

yes - you have the original RSM 130 the tips you have researched well, as mostly about the RSM 130D (deluxe)

having said this... water level is the key and the adjustable grate determines the water level in the back area, you will have to play with that, opening it up more allows more water into the back and the skimmer - most of these tanks need to be topped off daily for reliable skimming - around a bit less than 1/2 gallon a day of plain ro/di is common - hope this helps !

welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members

Start a tank thread & share your tank with us so we can follow along, we love pics :nessie:
Thanks for the response!
And yes you are correct, the top off must be the key for the skimmer.
Yesterday I topped off all the way to the top and the skimmer started getting stronger.
Still not into the cup but its at the verge, much closer than when the water was not to the tip top in the tank.
And yes the top off must be close to 1/2 gal a day, that is crazy.
I'll keep her filled to the rim and keep an eye on her for a few days and see if I can get some bubbles in the cup.

I have another question regarding the hood. I'm trying to take it off to use a kessil with goose neck.
I pulled the hinges out and the hood was about to come rite off but the timer is hard wired into the hood and to the internal power strip. I cant seem to find a way to detach either end of the timer cable to release the hood. This cable is the only thing keeping my hood from coming completely off, any ideas?