Eshopps PF-nano oveflow on my RSM130

tinctorus

Hey guy's I was looking at the eshopps pf nano overflow for my RSM130 since I am going to be putting a refugium/sump under the tank and I need to know

1) does it actually fit the back of the RSM and if so does anyone have any pictures of where it goes and how much space does it take up inside the back chamber as well as outside the tank

2) have you had any issues with it?

3) does it flow well?

My only other option would be the LIFEREEF unit but that is almost triple the price since I get tha Eshopps at wholesale price and I wont go with the glassholes unit "not because they arent probably the best unit on the market but this is an already established reef tanka nd I REFUSE to tear it down to drill the holes for the tank

tnwillia

I've never used it and I'm one of those who feel you get what you pay for in this hobby. I've used the lifereef RSM nano prefilter for 3 years with out a single fail. IMHO it is the BEST hang-on overflow in the market for the Red Sea tanks. It was designed by Jeff to "fit" the back chambers of the RSM tanks which need a longer inside box length to reach the water level. I'm sure other are using yours, hoping they will jump in here to help you! Good luck which ever way you go!

FCatCH76

I don't have the nano, but my PF-300 has never done me wrong. I did look into lifereef but overpriced and takes too long as he is a smaller establishment and builds to order. I didn't want to wait 3 months for something 1/3 of the price and available now. I would look for craftsmanship like that in my car's engine or when I built my house, not an acrylic box. I could be wrong and Jeff has ample amount in stock, but still the price.

reefer gladness

Looking at the LR overflow in my RSM I can see it was built specifically to reach over the high rim in the back of the RSM tank. Standard overflows like the Eshopps don't look like they would drop the box low enough in the water, it might work but that lookes to be the reason Lifereef built a specific overflow for the RSM. 3 month order time is for sump systems, etc. I would expect the overflow box to ship within a week or two.

tnwillia

+1^, Jeff normally keeps everything other than custom build sumps and systems in stock. Send him an E-mail or call, he'll tell you if he has them or how fast he can get one out to you. Good luck which ever way you go!

RogerDiver

Sorry to bring back an one old thread, but i prefer do that than start a fresh one with same subject.

It maybe a silly question... How do you start running the Lifereef overflow, or better how it restart after a power failure.

reefer gladness

You need to re-start the siphon on the U-tube. Insert a narrow hose line into one end and thread it up to the top of the -U- where there should be an air bubble. Sucking the air bubble out re-starts the siphon in the U-tube. Should be safe to start your return pump at this point, just watch it to make sure it's flowing and doesn't overflow.

Edit: These instructions are assuming you lost siphon somehow while doing maintenance, etc. The Lifereef overflow does not lose siphon after a power outtage, it starts right back up everytime.

tnwillia

+1^ in 3 years use and more power outages than I can count my LR never lost siphon or failed to restart... ever!

Kevz71

Ok I'm new to the whole overflow and return on the 130 but what I see in very very few pics the overflow box Appears to be on the left hand side of the stock skimmer? Where's the return??? And how do I get my chiller plumbed back in after I take up that space, would have to be a large sump to have enough water to feed chiller but yet not some much that it overflows the tank on the return. Who has a overflow with a chiller? I plan to do a overflow down to a DIY algae scrubber then to my chiller then back to the ( back) of the tank out of site. One wouldn't think you would place the return on the right of the skimmer only to the be mixed and sucked back up again on the left?? Would u? U wouldn't be maken the best use of the chiller or scrubber?

Kevz71

If it helps any... here one way several members have gone... nano sumps, nano prefilter, nano refugium, lifereefugiums

RSM pics at the bottom of this page

Sure some RSM Club members summing sumps can advise ... same with the chiller

Sorry I can't make heads or tails of the pics other then where the overflow is going , but where is the return line? How's the sump/ chiller getting tied in? I'd like to DIY a algae scrubber to my tank while keeping my chiller and my stock skimmer . I have to have my chiller because I've lost a tank in the past to over heating due to my homes dual A/C's not working at one time! The power went off so the window ac didn't power back on and the main unit had a part crap out after the outage so my tank fried!! Oh and the tanks only pump didn't prime back up neither so Much for theses all in one deals, pump/ filter/Surface skimmer in protein skimmer! Work well other then u having to prim it every time the power went of or it lost Its Suction not risking anything on this 4$ tank setup. I would like to do the LED lighting to cut down on the heat but I wanna make sure the LEDs I put in there gets light coverage to the whole tank and looks nice while cutting power cost and cutting down on the heat maybe the AI LEDs ? I'd like to control from my iPhone and be able to do the whole lighting storm effect lol if I'm going to upgrade I want it all its not like it's going to be cheap . But for now algae scrubber. Need some help hooking everything up thanks

reefer gladness

Sorry I can't make heads or tails of the pics other then where the overflow is going , but where is the return line? How's the sump/ chiller getting tied in? I'd like to DIY a algae scrubber to my tank while keeping my chiller and my stock skimmer . I have to have my chiller because I've lost a tank in the past to over heating due to my homes dual A/C's not working at one time! The power went off so the window ac didn't power back on and the main unit had a part crap out after the outage so my tank fried!! Oh and the tanks only pump didn't prime back up neither so Much for theses all in one deals, pump/ filter/Surface skimmer in protein skimmer! Work well other then u having to prim it every time the power went of or it lost Its Suction not risking anything on this 4$ tank setup. I would like to do the LED lighting to cut down on the heat but I wanna make sure the LEDs I put in there gets light coverage to the whole tank and looks nice while cutting power cost and cutting down on the heat maybe the AI LEDs ? I'd like to control from my iPhone and be able to do the whole lighting storm effect lol if I'm going to upgrade I want it all its not like it's going to be cheap . But for now algae scrubber. Need some help hooking everything up thanks

You have different goals in mind but I did run an external sump and chiller on my 130D before taking it down. Here's my build thread showing the sump area:
http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/red-sea-max-owners-club/70605-seans-rsm-130d-3.html

Two of the reasons I tried an external sump is that I wanted a better skimmer than the stock one, and I also couldn't fit a large enough return pump to match the recommended flow for my chiller inside the back sump area of the 130D.

That said, the return question is pretty easy. There's an accessory kit that should have come with your tank that goes right next to the cooling fan on the left side. My return came up to the accessory kit and a short lenth of tube puts the return water in the heater area. You want a 'siphon break' on the tube that goes into the back sump area which is nothing more than a 1/4" hole drilled in the tube about an inch below the normal water line.

Not sure where your return pump is located but it needs to be below the water level to prime itself and restart. Can't speak to what happens if you have a return pump up in the 130D sump area but I never had a problem with the return pump restarting in the sump.

So the basic flow is an overflow on the back of the 130D down to the sump, the return pump located in the sump area goes out to the chiller and from the chiller up to the accessory kit I mentioned earlier.

Algae scrubbers just look like more messy work to me but I don't see any reason you couldn't put your return pump down in that tank provided you have some mechanical filtration to keep algae and detritus from going through your pump and chiller. I used an Eheim Compact+ for the return pump because it has adjustable flow but you can just as easily put a ball or gate valve to restrict the flow if needed.

Honestly, dealing with two sump areas was a lot more pain than it was worth to me. My 130D is a nice acclimation tank now but I've gone to drilled tanks and never looking back.