Recent content by Saltwater Sarge

1. S

The River Flows to the Sea

Well, you do realize that brackish water just means that its halfway between freshwater and salt water. It came from fresh water at some point.
  2. S

The River Flows to the Sea

I was discussing sump designs and an odd idea occurred to me. I've heard more than a few keepers say that we're trying to replicate "real reef conditions" in our tanks, so when I needed a new ATO system I wondered... I have a spare 10g tank that'll fit nicely in my stand. Could I set up...
  3. S

Grey Sand

So adding sand sifters to my CUC might do the trick?
  4. S

Grey Sand

I noticed something when I was cleaning my tank this morning. I was under the tank looking up and noticed strange coloring. One particularly large area of the tank has sand thats turned grey, and there are smaller areas doing the same thing Can anyone tell me why this happened? Or is it...
  5. S

how much flow is to much?

Rule of thumb I've used so far... 7-10 x Volume external flow (tank to sump) 25-30 x Volume internal flow (powerheads)
  6. S

Pumps and noise in general

I've tried everything to get my Mag 5 to be quiet enough to bear... Even as an external ATO pump, I can hear it across the house when it kicks on. I'll be changing to a MJ1200 so that its not a jackhammer.
  7. S

Lighting Question

Misunderstanding, the 125 is out of the question. 93 gallon rimless is more attractive anyways. And given the 30" odd-ball size I might have to go with a 24" fixture.
  8. S

Lighting Question

Plan changed to a 93 gallon (30x30x24) so now Im leaning more toward the Kessil A150W Special Blend LED Aquarium Light Two should be sufficient right? Thinking 10k / 15k...
  9. S

Are you willing to pay more!?

I've begun setting up a gorgeous 93 gallon (30"x30"x24") rimless w/ overflow. I dropped a whopping $800 for this at my LFS... Petsmart has a 150g package deal for $750... So I started pricing lights. The LFS sells Coralife 30" T5 ballasts for $169, Marinedepot sells the same for $127 and you...
  10. S

My first SW Tank - Fluval Edge 6 Gallon

I really like to see people getting into nano reefs. :drown:
  11. S

how do you acclimatise your livestock?

I have a smaller "new guy" 1 gallon. I put them in the tank with the water they were living in, and add a piece of air tubing thats been made to allow about 1-2 drips per second. Slowly but surely they're adjusted to the DT conditions. You still need to monitor them carefully for the first hour...
  12. S

Lighting Question

So I've been looking at setting up a 125 gallon reef, as I've decided that 55 gallons isnt big enough. Problem is that Metal Halide fixtures for a 72" tank would ruin my budget... Could I get away with a 48" fixture to cover the majority of the tank? Or should I just do it with T5s? Oh...
  13. S

Video!! 20g high SPS Dominant

Looks great! Looking forward to seeing more
  14. S

DIY Filter Crisis

I've started looking around for a larger tank to work with, before I try to transition into Fish Only SW. Any advice for cutting glass for an overflow drain?
  15. S

DIY Filter Crisis

Don't judge me on the current theme of the tank. I got it back from my ex-wife this way. Right off the bat, ignore the returns... I'm still in the proof of concept phase. I had cut a lid to fit the bucket, but the vibration from the pump made it sound like a diesel engine. Its quiet(er)...