Recent content by Rye_84

1. R

55g Reef beginner

you might want to switch out your filter system. Some carbons can leach phosphate into the water. I don't think it will have an affect on the rock too much (don't quote me on that) but I know coral doesn't like it. Good luck with everything and be patient!! Patience is one of the toughest...
  2. R

aquaeuro ps250 or coralife 220??

Was looking in the 200$ price range. I found a G3 used for 200 or a octo 150 recirc for 150, so I was looking more at those then brand new.
  3. R

The tank is only a 75 gallon, but I have always been told to go with what my budget allows. Plus, I don't plan on having the 75 forever and figured go big now and then when I upgrade the tank I won't have to upgrade the skimmer as well. I could possibly do in sump but would prefer not to, just...
  4. R

anyone have any input?
  5. R

so I've done some more research and have changed my mind completely. I am now looking at one of the octopus recirculating skimmers or have found a used asm g-3 that has the recirc mod, gate valve and mesh mod added to it. I am so confused by all of this. What I do know is the skimmer I have...
  6. R

I have limited my search of skimmers down to these two models and can't decide which one to get. I have found the 250 for 190$ and the 220 for 150$. Can anyone tell me which would be the best skimmer/value. I have a 75g mixed reef, medium bioload. (5 fish, 1 purple tang- 3" 2 clowns 1 gramma...
  7. R

Are these really nassarius snails?

Is Ilyanassa obsoleta or Ilyanassarius obsoleta really considered a nassarius snail? They both burrow and do the whole cleaning of the sand, but will the obsoleta snails be safe in my reef? Does anyone have any experience? Here is a google search on the snail Ilyanassa obsoleta - Google...
  8. R

Ebay aragonite sand?

Has anyone ordered aragonite sand from sellers on ebay? These are the two that I was looking at...
  9. R

DIY LED Lighting... is it worth the effort?

I've been studying the whole LED thing for almost 2 years now. It is not cheap and you have to do it right the first time or you will blow all of the LEDs. My system cost around 900 for a 4 footer and about 60 shipped for all of the parts. If you are really interested in doing this, check out...
  10. R

Great price for koralia 4's $33.99

no problem!
  11. R

Great price for koralia 4's $33.99

Just ordered two. Shipping was 13.99, plus they have a coupon code "TEN" which gave me another 10% off. Koralia Koralia Pump Power Head Aquarium Water Pumps
  12. R

MJ mod 1200 Too much flow??

Does anyone know where I can just get the prop and not the whole kit?
  13. R

I have two koralia 3's in my tank right now. Cant I just pop two of the MJ 1200 propellers in it, instead of getting the whole mod?
  14. R

I was looking at modding to of my MJ 1200's. Does anyone have experience with them on a 4 foot tank? (75 gallons to be exact) I was planning on mounting one on each end of the tank. I am worried that 2000ish gallons flowing from each of them will kick up all of my sand. Its a tiny bit...
  15. R

chicagoland

Do you have pictures of the frogspawn and rose anemones? Also what equipment do you have for sale?