aquaeuro ps250 or coralife 220??

which skimmer?

• Modded ASM G3

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • octo recirc 110 or 150

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters

Rye_84

I have limited my search of skimmers down to these two models and can't decide which one to get. I have found the 250 for 190$ and the 220 for 150$. Can anyone tell me which would be the best skimmer/value. I have a 75g mixed reef, medium bioload. (5 fish, 1 purple tang- 3" 2 clowns 1 gramma 1 flame angel.)

IME Coralife Super Skimmers and not very good. The AquaEuro would be a better skimmer. I used a Super Skimmer 65 for about 2 years. They are sensitive and hard to adjust, if I did check it 30 mins after an adjustment it would likely overflow. For $150-$200 get an Octopus skimmer it will out perform both a Super skimmer and an AquaEuro. I have a Octopus NW110 and I love it, I will be getting another when I build my 120 gallon.

Rye_84

so I've done some more research and have changed my mind completely. I am now looking at one of the octopus recirculating skimmers or have found a used asm g-3 that has the recirc mod, gate valve and mesh mod added to it. I am so confused by all of this. What I do know is the skimmer I have is crap and is doing nothing for my tank so anything would be an upgrade but I would like to get the best upgrade right now instead of upgrading again later. Anyone have any thoughts? Input is greatly appreciated.

How big is your tank? An ASM G3 is a big skimmer, plus all the mobs. It can handle a 300g reef. If your tank is 210-350g I would get the ASM. If you go with an Octo you will not regret it.

Clownfish518

Razorback
PREMIUM
Have you looked at the in sump models? IMO recirc skimmers are a bit touchy, and if the adjustment is slightly off the floor gets wet. I have a Reef Octo DNWB 150 Recirc, and I have learned to be very attentive when fiddling with the settings.

The in-sump models have the same tendencies, but if they foam over the top its going back into the sump. So if you have room, I would think about an in sump model - maybe a Reef Octo Extreme 160; has a smaller footprint

But my Octo Recirc does an amazing job of skimming

Rye_84

The tank is only a 75 gallon, but I have always been told to go with what my budget allows. Plus, I don't plan on having the 75 forever and figured go big now and then when I upgrade the tank I won't have to upgrade the skimmer as well. I could possibly do in sump but would prefer not to, just because I am worried about available space. However, if I do some rearranging I am sure that I could make it work.

Basile

I voted Octo because mine did some skimming of my while it was only 2 days old and with a 1 micron sock it still found something to skimm . Now thats performance. Think of it; the overflow goes through that 1 micron sock and the skimmer pick up something after on a tank less than 2 days old. For the value and the octo give you more quality performance.

Basile

Have you looked at the in sump models? IMO recirc skimmers are a bit touchy, and if the adjustment is slightly off the floor gets wet. I have a Reef Octo DNWB 150 Recirc, and I have learned to be very attentive when fiddling with the settings.

The in-sump models have the same tendencies, but if they foam over the top its going back into the sump. So if you have room, I would think about an in sump model - maybe a Reef Octo Extreme 160; has a smaller footprint

But my Octo Recirc does an amazing job of skimming

I found the same observation ; however i see it as a precision and total control. Some skimmer don't offer that much precision nor control So its very precise and at the limit touchy, but once set its super efficient, and thats what your looking for. You just have to go slow when ajusting thats all. And the price is right too. You don't pay for the name like Tunze.

Clownfish518

Razorback
PREMIUM
I found the same observation ; however i see it as a precision and total control. Some skimmer don't offer that much precision nor control So its very precise and at the limit touchy, but once set its super efficient, and thats what your looking for. You just have to go slow when ajusting thats all. And the price is right too. You don't pay for the name like Tunze.

No, I agree with you. I love mine and would buy it again. Just thinking that for someone new to skimmers might be advised to go with one a little more forgiving. Sorry if I did not make that clear.

Rye_84

Was looking in the 200$ price range. I found a G3 used for 200 or a octo 150 recirc for 150, so I was looking more at those then brand new.