Recent content by Rhyne

1. R

Running an ASM out of sump?

I've heard the same about them leaking.
  2. R

Lighting

I have heard a 'rule of thumb' about wattage for hard corals, 2 - 3 watts per gallon. I'm setting up a 20 long. I wasn't planning on keeping the 'fancy' stuff (sps, lps) but the LFS (acronym heaven huh?) has some nice stuff and well..you know how it goes. I'm planning on running a 55 watt...
  3. R

H&S skimmer

I was up at the LFS to get my skimmer...ASM mini...been told nothing but good stuff about it, good price, will really do up to about 40 -60 gallons. Then I get referred to the H&S..owner LOVES because it's a little less expensive than the Deltec line, but close performance wise. I bought the...
  4. R

Surface agitation and skimmers

thanx for the input! I'll let you know if anything stange occurs... :meeting: R
  5. R

Just starting out

Hey there! I was just reading the thread and thought about everything the folks here have been saying...and they are right...this is the place to be for good opinions. You'll get several opinions on any given question, and all of them are good, valuable input. The one thing this place has...
  6. R

Surface agitation and skimmers

I'm probably going to put a Koraline 1 circ pump on a 20 long. I'd like to aim toward the middle - top of the tank. Will this impact surface skimming? I'll be using an ASM mini in a 10 gal sump for a 20 L with a corner box surface skimmer:dummy: . R
  7. R

AGA 10 gallon w/ false wall -- suggestions?

Late arrival on the thread...yor surface skimmer is nice, but you could also use weirs (v's). I have used them and they are great if your water level drops unexpectedly. The reduced width means increased flow to keep up drainage...just a thought R
  8. R

Too much flow?

Thanx for all the input...it is really appreciated. I've got a rio 50 with the hydor deflector already, so maybe I'll use the Koralia to bounce the surface light around for the cool wavy look on the bottom. R:scram:
  9. R

My 120 to 300 upgrade...it begins!

Do you need a son? I clean tanks....and I'm SCUBA certified for the deep-end of the tank....I can't wait to see this! Rhyne:tongue:
  10. DSCN0617

DSCN0617

the sump, showing so little room
  11. DSCN0620

DSCN0620

the sump for the 20 long
  12. Tank, hood and stand

Tank, hood and stand

the 20 long...without the 20 long....
  13. R

Refuge or not?

Thanx much for the input and the pix help...as soon as I get it ready, I'll be uploading pics.... R
  14. R

New guy here

WOW! that is something to aspire to....me and my itty bitty 20 long....when it grows up...I'l be broke.
  15. R

Refuge or not?

After reading volumes on refugia, I am still a little iffy on the idea. As I see it, the idea is provide space for the little bugs (copopods, amphipods etc) and isolate algae so as to outcompete any alge in the show tank. My situation is that with the space I have available, I'd be able to...