Recent content by mikethebike7

1. M

need a home for sailfin tang

I have a sailfin tang, and it is not a handsome specimen. It either developed lateral line disease, or, what I think, it developed that syndrome common to it's species where it's dorsal and anal fins just shrivel up. in short, it looks like Frankenstein. The other side is, the fish is...
  2. M

Clownfish eggs!!!!!!!

It looks like the anemone is oohing and aahing over the clutch of eggs.
  3. M

'Marine Betta' altivelis calleplesiops life span?

Does anyone know the life expectancy of this species? I lost mine after about eight years, and I am feeling guilty, and hoping to find out it isn't completely my fault that he is no longer alive. Thanks for any info anyone can share.
  4. M

Does this fish look ok?

If his behavior is healthy- he is healthy as his anatomy will allow for. That's my opinion. I have a sailfin tang with the collapsed fin syndrome, but he is active, inquisitive, and has a very robust appetite. You cannot convince me that he is 'unhealthy', although I concede he is not in...
  5. M

Eyes of porcupines, puffers, triggers, and groupers

if the fish's eyes are working well, and it has acute vision, I would say- 'don't second guess the animal's creator". Just my opinion.
  6. M

sailfin tang { Zebrasoma veliferum} fins 'collapse'

I have a sailfin tang and his dorsal and anal fins just disintegrated, or sort of appear to have melted and shriveled up like plastic does when it's exposed to heat. This is the second incident of this occurring in my tank, with two different individual fish. The fish store says it is a...
  7. M

Clownfish sleeping vertically - any problem?

I have a calleplesiops 'marine betta' who does that, as well as I had a trigger fish do that.
  8. M

Converting bare bottom to sand

how about sectioning the bottom, with a 'sandbox' area, and or leave a few areas bare, perhaps by using some type of border framework to keep the sand out of that area. then you have both sandy and bare areas.
  9. M

identifying fish species

I am able to copy the photo, but I cannot paste it here without a URL, AND THE IMAGE IS EMBEDDED IN AN E-MAIL MESSAGE TO ME, AND WHOEVER ELSE, WITHOUT A URL. Sorry about the caps- I keep hitting the caps-lock key without realizing- because of the primitive typing style I use. Anyway, if I...
  10. M

Advice on a Hippo Tang vs Blue throat Trigger conflict

how about a temporary partition in the tank, to kind of let the fishes get used to the other fishes, and also let each fish get used to it's own area of the tank. Just a thought. I suppose when you remove the partition either peace or strife will ensue.
  11. M

identifying fish species

On the Drs. Foster/Smith e-mail circular which is dated 22dec12, there is a front view head-on photograph of a grouper-type fish which I am trying to identify. The fish resembles a 'jack dempsey' cichlid in facial structure and coloration. It is a pretty fish, and it definitely has a...
  12. M

porcupine fish starved?

I had a porcupine puffer- perfect health- excellent gluttonous appetite, active as a four year old child, etc. Then one day he stopped eating, and never ate again, finally he was on the substrate for two or three days, and then deceased. I asked the fish store if his four fused teeth could be...
  13. M

porcupine puffer not eating

I can't believe how upsetting it is to watch a fish get sick and fade away.
  14. M

porcupine puffer not eating

thanks for the advice. The puffer is now on the substrate, he is breathing rapidly, and I fear the worst. I really hate this ****. The fish is healthy and happy one day and then he is acting like he can't ingest food even though he seemingly wants to. I am truly starting to form the...
  15. M

Bow front vs a regular tank

I have a corner tank, and it is very difficult to access the back for servicing the tank equipment. Also- you have only one viewing side, instead of three or four with a classic shaped tank.