Recent content by MikeSpike

1. M

New Reefer Build

Hi everyone I'm sure this topic has been hacked to death...but here goes. I've just purchased a reefer 250 (have had a C130 for a couple of years). ATM I keep a couple of corals mainly softies\LPS and plan on staying that way (but we all know how things work...!) I need to purchase lighting -...
  2. M

Help With Identification - please!

Thanks for that both. As I said the pretty sure original source was the low water quality while I was away. But can someone please identify what specifically these are?
  3. M

Help With Identification - please!

Hi all Thanks in advance for your help. I was away with work so missed my regular WC...and this has caused me havoc! My tank is a RSM C130, run as stock with an additional powerhead. Been going fine for over a year. First i had what looked like red slime...I've had it once before and it went...
  4. M

PowerHead - RSM C130

Thanks. Anyone use a tune nanostream 6025/6045 and or what flow would you recommend?
  5. M

PowerHead - RSM C130

Just wondered if anyone could help with suggestions for a powerhead for my C130? Have Cyano building up - and think its due to some dead spots. Obviously would love an MP10 but its out of my budget. What would you recommend? thanks
  6. M

HELP! Coral Issues!!

unfortunately i don't have an alkalinity test. Pending getting one over the next few days anything else you can suggest? Ive just added some Kent Nano reef stuff that's meant o keep stable alkalinity in case that is a the issue, any other ideas?
  7. M

HELP! Coral Issues!!

Water parameters are: PH 8 Nitrite 0.00 Nitrate 12ppm Phosphate 0.00 Salinity 1.025 Temp 78.9F that was tested today, my tank is normally very stable.
  8. M

HELP! Coral Issues!!

Hi all,. My tanks been running for around 8 months, all gone well so far....until about 5-7 days ago. I moved the trachyphyllia by about an inch (sideways) as it was near a kenya tree frag and since then its gone very down hill....although it maybe totally unrelated. The trachyphyllia coral...
  9. M

HI I have just bought a C130 and have also noticed the black foam in the pump chamber - did you...

HI I have just bought a C130 and have also noticed the black foam in the pump chamber - did you work out how the pump sits with this? The only way i can get the pump in is if i rip it out?? TIA
  10. M

Mikes C130 Journery

Ok so someone told see if I can scrape it off and that will help work out what it is. So I've checked it does come straight off the rock with my nail only problem is I can't remember if that means to cyano or not!!! Any help?
  11. M

Mikes C130 Journery

Thanks all for your comments. Like I said it took a while on the rock work!! The tank is brand new so suspect not a light issue. Anyone any ideas exactly what it is and more importantly how to get rid off it? Maybe red turf algae? Also what do you think about my stocking level?
  12. M

Mikes C130 Journery

So that takes me to today...admittedy looking back i have fallen into the newbie (i am one) trap of going to quick and it looks like i am praying the price. My LR was growing really nice coraline all over but have just noticed this purple growing all over my LR is this cyano bacteria? hard to...
  13. M

Mikes C130 Journery

Anyway so tank has now been running for 4 months and tank looks like this: c. 11KG LR 9Kg LS stuck together with Fluvial Epoxy Purigen and Rowaphos Fish: 2 baby clowns (can't not have nemo! both about 1/2 inch) Valentino Puffer ( i absolutely love this fish always keeps me entertained)...
  14. M

Mikes C130 Journery

Stock at that point was a Valentino Puffer, royal gramma, 2 tiny baby clowns, Chalk Goby and a small CUC. Am running the RSM stock with Purigen and Rowaphos in the back I then went away for 5 days - assumed all would be ok upon my return but unfortunately i lost the gramma was very upset -...
  15. M

Mikes C130 Journery

So after that brief introduction - I spent a good few hours escaping my rock in the new tank (the old tank had been running about 2 months) - took me a while but i finally got something i was really happy with. I think its about 11Kg in total but given that some of the water s displaced by the...