Help With Identification - please!

MikeSpike

Hi all

Thanks in advance for your help. I was away with work so missed my regular WC...and this has caused me havoc!

My tank is a RSM C130, run as stock with an additional powerhead. Been going fine for over a year.

First i had what looked like red slime...I've had it once before and it went away a charm with Mycosidol, so tried it again (twice) - but it didn't just go away like last time.

I went and bought an bought an additional powerhead to give me an additional 4000LPH turnover, but it still hasn't gone - although a lot of it that was red, is now brown and their is a lot of green and even some green plants/weeds that have started to grow!!

please can you help me identify what all ofIMG_4635.JPG IMG_4636.JPG IMG_4637.JPG IMG_4638.JPG IMG_4639.JPG this is - is it Cyano, GHA both?!? Besides whats in the pics there is definitely some (small) patches of red/brown on the sand bed

thanks

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
If you can take a turkey baster & blow it off the sand or rock, it's cyano, the other looks like like it may be gha - both are likely a result of high nutrients - usually from over feeding - adding some more snails may help, keep up the water changes.

see what others think...

DaveK

Generally using a chemical product to destroy cyano is not a good idea. Yes, the products do work, but unless you correct the underlying problems, about all you'll do is exchange one problem algae for another problem algae that isn't killed by the product you happen to be using.

I have posted this before but it's worth repeating -

DaveK's Standard Lecture #2 - Algae Control

Algae control comes down to controlling nitrates and phosphates. If you have a problem with algae it is because these two nutrients are out of control. Do not think that just because your test kits read zero or low values that you do not have a problem. In many cases the algae is removing the nutrients and growing. This is why there is a problem.

Here are possible sources of nitrates and phosphates -

Feeding, especially flake food and not rinsing frozen foods before feeding.
Using tap water to mix salt. Always use RO/DI water for this.
"Dirt traps" and "nitrate factories" in the system.
Low quality carbon can leach nutrients.
Low quality salt can sometimes add nutrients. This is unusual today.
Livestock load on the system

Here are possible ways to remove nitrates and phosphates -

Water changes. Change 1/2 the water and you reduce the nutrients by 1/2.
Skimming. Remove the waste products before the biological filtration need to break then down.
Nitrate and phosphate removal products.
Deep sand beds.
Refugiums.
Algae Scrubbers.

Each of these has advantages and disadvantages. Most people that control algae well use many of the above methods.

There are also other items that can effect algae growth rates.

Good clean up crew.
Other livestock that eats algae.
Low general water quality, especially when the readings are off.

Lighting, sometimes you can reduce it, especially in FO or FOWLR systems.
Old light bulbs. Colors change as they age and this can be a factor.
Water flow. More flow will often help keep algae down.
Manual removal. Very important, especially when there is a big problem.

MikeSpike

Thanks for that both. As I said the pretty sure original source was the low water quality while I was away. But can someone please identify what specifically these are?