Recent content by Michiana

1. Michiana

Fish Names

I named my son "Marlin"....... Does that count ? ;)
  2. Michiana

Hydrated lime vs. Kalkwasser

Can Hydrated lime from your local garden center be used in place of Kalkwasser / Mrs. Wages lime ????? I'm tired of paying $20 for Kalk, and can't find Mrs. Wages locally. Seems the ingredients (Calcium/Magnesium) are the same, just a different package. Thoughts ??????
  3. Michiana

Has anyone dealt with ReefCleaners.org ???

I was checking out their prices on snails, and it seems too good to be true !!! I'm going to place an order real soon I think !
  4. Michiana

Reefkeeping w/signifigant others Donts

NEVER........... EVER........... Let the SO "help" you arrange your liverock when putting up a new tank........... I spent 5 hours on a stepladder with both arms in the tank up to my elbows while she had me spin each rock to find which side had the best "charachter", and the decide where it...
  5. Michiana

protein skimmer question

Put your skimmer on a timer....... That way you won't forget to turn it back on and have anything go haywire...... 2-3 hrs a day won't hurt.
  6. Michiana

Chicagoland Reefers

So far, it looks like I'm the lone Hoosier to check in....... Best place I've found for corals so far is Midwest Corals in Osceola, Indiana.... Count me in if you get a group thing going :)
  7. Michiana

It's all in the packaging.............

Friday, I used up the last of my Calcium chloride that I use for dosing....... Sunday, I made the 35 mile trek to my "local" fish store...... (at least the only one with marine supplies.........) They had a 800g jar of Kent Calcium on the shelf for the low.... LOW price of only $39.99...
  8. Michiana

$6 wave maker!!!!

Mine didn't work so well..........
  9. Michiana

Help with fitting placement for water inlet on RC skimmer.....

I'm building an RC skimmer using 6 inch acrylic tube. The main body (reaction chamber) is 18" tall with about a 3 inch high tapering cone leading to a 2 inch I.D. neck which is about 6 inches long in total. Overall, the height of the chamber is then about 21". I plan on using an Eheim 1060 (600...
  10. Michiana

Where can I find a 6" I.D. rubber pipe cap ????

Woodstock, the first link you gave seems to be for a nominal size 6" PVC pipe which is actually 6 5/8ths O.D...... That would make the I.D. of the cap 6 5/8ths which is kinda sloppy....... The second link looks like they only sell in quantity.........
  11. Michiana

Where can I find a 6" I.D. rubber pipe cap ????

I just built my first DIY skimmer using 6" O.D. acrylic tube, and I thought finding a 6" I.D. cap would be no problem. I want to use it at the skimmer base so it's removeable in case I have to "go back in"....... But for the life of me, I cant seem to locate a snug fitting cap. The closest...
  12. Michiana

WTB...... DAS EX-2 Skimmer

PM with what you got !!!!!:jumprope:
  13. Michiana

Frogspawn growth

Mine has started growing a bubble too........ What was the outcome of the coral in this post ?
  14. Michiana

High Alk, Low CA..... What to do ???

Aragonite / live sand substrate........ No dead spots, rock is off substrate with pvc / eggcrate & hidden powerheads to eliminate dead spots..... I'm thinking it has to be Ph / Co2 giving me grief......... I'm thinking 20 gal water change & Kalkwasser drip....... Any ideas ?
  15. Michiana

High Alk, Low CA..... What to do ???

I wouldn't think I have a CO2 problem as I have 2 powerheads pointed up agitating the tank surface (makes nice ripple lines with MH's), and 2 cooling fans in my hood which is eggcrate top & back. I add 1 1/2 - 2 gallons top-off water everyday. But it's possible I guess........ What can I...