Recent content by kmdrysdale

1. K

algae turf scrubber verses protein skimmer

Definitely an interesting thread! I'm tagging along. :)
  2. K

Lowest cost and easiest way to eliminate green hair, bubble, turf and slime algae

My first read on algae scrubbers and it has really peaked my interest!!
  3. K

Air Bubbles

Tank was setup Feb 22, so close to a month.
  4. K

Air Bubbles

I have a 2-3" sand bed and can see air bubbles in the sand along the glass. As crabs are doing their thing they will release these air bubbles. Is this the exchange of nitrates to nitrogen gas that I have read can happen in the lower air flow areas of a tank? Kevin
  5. K

Tank Cycle

I did use treated tap water, but all levels were zero for 2 weeks then after adding the shrimp the ammonia started to go up, but went back down to zero. Retested everything again and got those numbers.
  6. K

Tank Cycle

I think I may be cycled!! I've been waiting for an ammonia spike and it never made it past 0.50 (after putting in a shrimp) but my nitrates are at 5.0 right now. I wasn't testing them because I was waiting for ammonia to spike. This is only about the third nitrate test I've done and the first...
  7. K

Tap water

Anyone know where to purchase RO/DI units for a good price? I live in Canada, so Canadian locations would be favored as International shipping can be costly as well.
  8. K

Tap water

I know this is generally frowned upon but I'm wondering if people treat their tap water to use for their tanks? I have a charcoal filter on my house and was wondering if treating it with something like Prime would be good. I have a 30 gallon tank if that matters.
  9. K

Tank Cycle

WOW!! That's the first I've heard if that! :) I will still throw in a shrimp and see what happens. Still being patient but really wanting to get some cuc and a fish in there. Lol! I have new algae growth on my base rock already as well as some on the live rock too. I will definitely keep that in...
  10. K

Tank Cycle

Definitely being patient and won't rush this part for sure. Still curious how quickly the cycle changes between the 3 spikes.
  11. K

Tank Cycle

I have a 30 gallon tank with 20lbs of live rock, 10lbs base rock, 50lbs of PFS with an AC50 running. I have a skimmer, but was recommended not to run it until its cycled and I add some fish. I just started testing a few days ago and ammonia is still VERY low. Between 0 and 0.25. Just wondering...
  12. K

Water testing

I have an API test kit. So far just testing PH, Ammonia, Nitrites and Nitrates. Seems OK so far but just started testing.
  13. K

Hanging LEDs

A closer pic would be great if you don't mind. I have yet to get my light yet, but would it hurt to have it set towards the back of the tank/canopy?
  14. K

Canopy

I'm at the same stage as you. Trying to plan a canopy. I've heard of just creating a canopy and hanging it above the tank (which I could do) but then there is the problem of covering the tank to keep jumpers in the tank. My LED fixture is 24" long x 8" wide so it doesn't leave a lot of room for...
  15. K

Hanging LEDs

Not a question about a DIY LED, but was wondering if people could post a pic of how they hung their LED fixtures? I have a 30 gallon and have an LED fixture on order right now. Trying to figure out how to hang them and I I can put them in a DIY canopy. My only help so far says to hang the light...