Canopy

So am build one to hold a led system, so here my question any one know were i can find blue prints to build one? and yes i googled it with no luck thanks for the help

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
I don't have blueprints yet I framed the top of the tank in 2x2s and made a box. Glued n screwed em to the oak boards. One 12" tall another 16"

The tall tank, the front panel flips up the 12" has 3 doors. Its an easy build. Last one took 2 hrs not counting staining.

....... I'm Matt n i love u pavona

dmatt88

Just gotta get a way for it to set on the tank. That's where the 2x2 boards came into play.

sk8rdn

its time for a trip to my local hardware store for some wood

Personally I go to.... Oh, you meant lumber... Lol...

And the reason you don't find blue prints is because every tank and system are unique. Your equipment you need to house may be a totally different size than Matt's. Or, you may like a taller/shorter canopy...

But essentially it's just a box. With one side open (bottom) and an adjacent side with a hinge (the access panel).

I understand why i could not find one but i was kinda hope to get a basic plan out on one is more or less what i was looking for

dmatt88

I think what they n i r getting at is decide the height of the canopy say 12" take 12" boards n cut to size. Measure the height of the rim u r going to cover n use a 1"x2 to hold the canopy on the lip. Glue n nail into place. I did the same at the top to keep the thing square. Id pm gareeferman for specifics. He's a wood god. If ya ask nice he may even draw ya a pic. Matt

so i was think its going to need to be tall for i can hang the led fixture anywhere form 14" to 12" so i was think 16" tall front doors and what not may be doing that soon if he any spare time to help a new builder out, i tend its a lot cheaper just to build something then to buy it straight out

Luukosian

Ever thought about doing pendants? I like hanging lights and might be easier if you're not handy with woodworking. If you go the canopy route should be pretty simple just keep feeding, access for maintenance, and heat in mind during the build. Keep us posted with pics of the progress.

am handy with woodworking but in the planing stages of it all is where i lack in skill, pendants are out f question as my girlfriend is very against me hanging anything form the roof, and as dad always says the best cooking comes form a very happy wife, so a canopy or maybe even maybe a a side mount may work but my girlfriend cat jumps onto anything and may even jumped into the tank i watch it jump into her goldfish tank so am kinda stuck going the canopy way.

reeferman

awww Matt,im blushing!thanks man.
i am really the worst drawer in the world and i cant use any of those CAD thingies but i could help you out any other way you would need.

so what do you think i kinda wanted to 16" tall, i really want it to open in the front more like a door for i could just open in and do what i need to do inside, but other then that am lost tank is L 30"x w 12.5"x h 18"

dmatt88

16" tall is perfect. Leaves plenty of room for lights n arms. U can buy boards precut at 16" too. 10" doors r an option too. Those as well u can buy already cut. Here's how my stand is supported on the tank lid.

2012-06-02_12-06-20_22.jpg

dmatt88

View from the front.

2012-06-02_12-06-09_201.jpg

Just glue n nail from the inside keeps it looking clean. PS have clamps it helps.

kmdrysdale

so what do you think i kinda wanted to 16" tall, i really want it to open in the front more like a door for i could just open in and do what i need to do inside, but other then that am lost tank is L 30"x w 12.5"x h 18"
I'm at the same stage as you. Trying to plan a canopy. I've heard of just creating a canopy and hanging it above the tank (which I could do) but then there is the problem of covering the tank to keep jumpers in the tank. My LED fixture is 24" long x 8" wide so it doesn't leave a lot of room for a hinged lid area, unless I can place the LEDs near the back of the canopy. If I can it would leave a bit more wood to hinge and open up for larger access. Still waiting for my light so I can really get planning how to do it all.