Recent content by fiveldsp

1. F

What to do in a Heat Wave?

With my 125 gallon thank, with a surface area at the top of almost 12 feet, a box fan blowing across the top causes about 3 gallons of evaporation a day, up from 2 gallons without the fan. Needless to say I am definitely getting my money worth on my RO/DI unit, lol. Best thing is to try...
  2. F

What to do in a Heat Wave?

I don't have air conditioning in my house either and here in Ohio have been above 90 degrees the entire summer with the exception of a few days. When my Metal Halides come on for 6 hours during the day, they pump out a lot of heat and can easily raise the temperature in my dining room alone by...
  3. F

White growth on Live Rock

It could also be the coralline algae dying off for a number of reasons... If it's raised up though I would guess it's sponge.
  4. F

Pustulate Cowry?

I have come into possession of what I have tentatively identified online as a Pustulate Cowry. The pic below is not of the one I actually have but is a representative picture of what I am looking at. There just isn't a good way of me getting a picture right now and wanted to move along with my...
  5. F

HELP Corals dying

I just now came across this thread and was curious how the situation played out. I have a reef tank that's been set up for 7 years and have a flame angel in there that is about 18 months old. I have personally seen him nip at my hawaiian featherdusters, frogspawn and zoas. No matter what I...
  6. F

Getting rid of bubbles

I have a similar issue now that I redid all of my plumbing today - also using 1" drain line. The pump in my refugium is pumping up a lot faster than the original did and the drain water back into the fuge is creating a lot of bubbles... from regular size, big and even the teeny tiny ones that...
  7. F

Plumbing Problems

I just redid my plumbing today using 1" pvp pipe and 1" tube. The hardest thing to find was the pvp-to-tube adapters. At Lowes at least, they are in the section where they sell sump and well pumps. The thing I did notice after redoing my plumbing is that my pump is pumping back into the tank...
  8. F

Fuge(s) + Nitrate Inquiries

Well the process has begun so we'll see how this goes... I shut down the circulation between my display tank and fuges today and started picking out the live rock rubble from the left tank of my system. Had to go slow because I knew there were bristleworms in there so it took awhile to pick...
  9. F

I actually have a Hydor Koralia sitting on my kitchen counter partially dissected trying to fix it. I had the thing for 2 weeks and it tied up it would seem. That's happened to me twice now on that brand and so it's failed to impress me so far. I wouldn't say that I am in the range of dirt...
  10. F

Wouldn't any sponge growth on the rocks that would be exposed die off from exposure to air? Other than sponge growth, I could drain half of the water from the display tank with only exposing leather corals and a zoo colony. What kind of leeway do I have on time with this? I use a 1/2"...
  11. F

I have a 125g tank which was set up 7 years ago with a complete drain and move about 2 years ago. I have always had higher then desired nitrates and I want to finally put it all out there to get feedback from the experts to make sure that what I think I know is what it really correct. Some of...
  12. F

Live Rock Estimating...

So, i've had my tank set up for about 5 years now and have recently noticed a nitrate spike that I plan on mitigating with water changes. However, I've recently decided that I was going to start documenting the life and activity involved with my tank and was curious if anyone had any ideas on...
  13. F

Basic Photography Class

Any suggestions on night photography using just the tanks blue LED (moonlights)? The pictures I have managed to take a night are visible, but the colors I see in the picture aren't a good representation of the colors I can see by looking into the tank. I'm using a Canon EOS Rebel XS
  14. F

battle of the ick

I understand the only cure is to remove the fish... my problem is I don't know how to catch the fish without completely destroying the reef we have spent over six months assembling piece by piece. We have corals that have fused themselves into seams of rocks and so on. As soon as a net is even...
  15. F

battle of the ick

In a reef tank with a live stock including, skunk shrimp, sebae anemone, mithrax crab, hermit crabs, serpent star fish, sand sifting star fish, along with damsels, triggers, clownfish, gobies and corals... how is treatment of ICK effective? Catching the fish is not an option unless if the...