Recent content by Fin

1. Fin

Plumbing Question, Manifold?

It is easier to do it in the beginning, rather than try to retrofit it later. I feed my carbon and GFO reactors and frag section of my sump with a manifold. Just makes it easier than having individual pumps driving single reactors. Not really a necessity to have one, but it does make it...
  2. Fin

Tank turned 49 this year

Beautiful display!
  3. Fin

New build

Really like the Synergy tank! I prefer the sump route also. More water volume and you can put equipment like skimmer, heater, reactors down there. Give you more room to add to your filtration. Tagging along to watch it mature.
  4. Fin

Battery powered Air Pump install

If you can't afford a generator or the VorTech options, those little air pumps can get you by. I will tell you that I have a friend that had a fully stocked 135. He had one or two of those automatic air pumps incorporated in his system. In 2005, our area was devastated by Hurricane Rita...
  5. Fin

Shallow Rimless Build

I am a noob to Reef Sanctuary and just found this thread. Great skills and the sump looks awesome. That's one heck of a frag tank! I freaked when the sump broke and then the pump. That's the kind of stuff that happens to me. The only problem with DIY folks is - in a lot of cases - it is...
  6. Fin

New Guy

Thanks for the welcome! Nice to meet reefers from other places. I am more of a lurker though. :-)
  7. Fin

New Guy

Thank you. I have been looking at your scrubbers on-line.
  8. Fin

Fin's Reef Savvy 125 Odyssey Begins

Thank you!
  9. Fin

This is my 40B sump that I finished last year. I will probably use this sump in the new build. While I know this sump looks like a nightmare to work on, it is the exact opposite. Note that everything is easily accessible from the front of the sump. Filter socks, skimmer cup, waste collector...
  10. Fin

Might as well start this build thread at the very beginning. It's going to take me forever, no matter when I start it anyway. :) I currently have an Oceanic 140 that is now nine years old. Some features of this tank that I never cared for, (but did not want to spend extra money at the time to...
  11. Fin

New Guy

Thank you for the warm welcome and comments. I will start a build thread soon. I also presently have a rather unique nano under construction. Not what you would ordinarily expect and I know I won't be starting any fads with it. Just something I did for fun, with a lot of equipment that I...
  12. Fin

Siporax

Has anyone here actually used Siporax though? Some pretty high end reefs out of Brazil are using this stuff (in conjunction with live rock) and their tanks certainly look awfully nice. I did buy a small box of this stuff to have a look at it. It is quite different than the old Efimech clay...
  13. Fin

New Guy

Thanks. I am getting stuff together for my new system. Tank is still in line to be built and months away. I will start a build thread when I get closer. So far, this is what I have in mind ... Plans so far (luckily, I already have most of the equipment, either in use, or purchased): • 125...
  14. Fin

New Guy

New guy from SW Louisiana. I have maintained numerous saltwater aquaria since the early 80s. Began my first reef in 1999. Current tank is an Oceanic 140 (9 years old), which is soon to be upgraded with a Reef Savvy 125. Getting away from the massive center brace and the two huge MegaFlow...