Recent content by DeepBlue

1. DeepBlue

overflow box vs. drilling hole in tank

Kurt, I wish I had an answer to your drill bit question, but I don't. I have never drilled a tank and I have heard bad things about tank failure when drilled. So I opted for the overflow and in the past 4 years, I have never had a single incident of broken siphon or poor performance. When I...
  2. DeepBlue

Giant clams feeding early humans

They eat just about everything in Japan! Do we all remember that one post last year of "Sushi" from UTube? That still gives me chills...
  3. DeepBlue

Bodianus Sanguenis , sunset wrasse

Tim, I was just picking up on what BigJay had mentioned in his post when he said "Some people will pay and pay dearly to have a one of a kind. I really want that black angler they have there but the wife would kill me." So, I am not "completely wrong" in what I was saying. There are species...
  4. DeepBlue

$9 toadstools, or 2 for $15

I am still waiting for mine to stop pouting. Had him since Thursday and he extends only a couple of his tenticles on one side (almost looks like they are hyper extended) and his stalk remains deflated. I have him under my halides, about 1/2 way up in the rocks, moderate flow and of course my...
  5. DeepBlue

Cant seem to keep my sand clean!.... Helppp

That sounds good Salty, keep at it and before you know it, no more brown/purple sand! It takes a while (weeks), but it will pay off.
  6. DeepBlue

2 return pumps in the sump

The other issue also is that your overflow needs to be able to keep up with the output of your pump. If your overflow is rated for 800 gal/hour, then having 1200 gal/hour of output would create a serious problem.
  7. DeepBlue

removing bioballs

Some years ago, some very wise people on this site gave me the advice to remove the bioballs. Miller - I used to think like you, but then I got smart and listened to the voices of those that had many years of experience on me. I'm not sure what type of tank you are running, but, if you are...
  8. DeepBlue

Re: Cant seem to keeo my sand clean!.... Helppp Also, in doing this, you will notice more and more coraline growth and then it is harder for the nasty green to grow.
  9. DeepBlue

Re: Cant seem to keeo my sand clean!.... Helppp For now, the best thing to do is to scrape the green algae off the glass, and yes, some of the coraline will come off as well, but it is better to get rid of the bad algae. But, like I said about the diatoms, just keeping consistant with water...
  10. DeepBlue

Re: Cant seem to keeo my sand clean!.... Helppp Well, that does not sound like coraline. With your tank being brand new, it is going through it's cycle. This sounds like diatoms to me. This will in time clear up with water changes of 20% every two weeks and with good flow throughout the...
  11. DeepBlue

New to Group

:welcomera You have definately come to the right place. Lots of good knowledge and some jokesters here also, so you will have fun. I like your varied interests with the frogs and lizards and snakes, oh my! One thing of key importance here is to post pics of your tank and there are even...
  12. DeepBlue

My yellow tang looks sick

Sorry for your loss. It is always sad when we lose anything and is amazing how attached we get to them. It sounds like it was his time. Just make sure your water params are good just to make sure it wasn't anything in the water.
  13. DeepBlue

new here

Welcome! Sorry to hear that you have an ailing tang. If you can post some images, we might be able to tell if it is afflicted with HLLE. But, like blue_eyes53813 said, nutritional supplements can help. My Yellow Tang had lateral line errosion when I first bought him about 2 1/2 years ago...
  14. DeepBlue

Toadstool

I also received my TS from rustysreef on Thursday and it is still pouting, but it's tenticles are extended, so I think he is getting ready to perk up! I have mine placed about halfway up on the rockwork (which is about 12" under the surface of the water and 16" under the light) and just to the...
  15. DeepBlue

Sonic's Adventures

WHAT? Who would just kill off 20 cleaner shrimp? There is something wrong with that. From your pictures, it looks like you have a little coraline, but the most of the rock itself in your images does not look porous, it looks more like base rock which is not live rock. This could be the...