new here

dulk

my husband and i have a 100 gal saltwater tank with 3 tangs 2 clowns and some damsles. we also have a few small corals. i think our newest tang might have hole in the head but i cant find any good pictures of hole in the head on a yellow tang.

i would love to post a pic of him for you guys to see but i can seem to get a clear picture. i have a digital kodak easyshare. advice?

blue_eyes53813

Hello Welcome to RS, With out a picture it will be hard to tell . Tangs are very suseptible to Head and Lateral Line Erosion (HLLE). Do a google search on the web and it will pull up tons of info for you. My hippo tang started to get that and to help minimize the erosion I soaked all food in a vitamin like selcon ( many varieties on the market). Feed a wide variety of meats and Algae- like dried seaweed strip . Most of these good varieties can be found at any petstore or on the web. I always tried to get the frozen meat cubes with vitamins added in the mix. I would still soak them in selcon too.

How long have you had the tang?

DeepBlue

Welcome! Sorry to hear that you have an ailing tang. If you can post some images, we might be able to tell if it is afflicted with HLLE. But, like blue_eyes53813 said, nutritional supplements can help. My Yellow Tang had lateral line errosion when I first bought him about 2 1/2 years ago, and with proper care and nutrition, he healed up and is still with me and thriving. Good luck!

dulk

i would like to post a picture but they all come out blurry. there must be some trick?

we just got him saterday. it wasnt untill we got him home that i noticed his face looked weird. has what looks like tiny holes around his eyes. my husband thought it might be normal but when i look at pics online i dont notice this in any other yellow tangs. we feed the tangs seaweed. my husband also feeds frozen brine and some flake food for the other fish.

thank you for the suggestion of vitamins. i was unsure if we should take him back to the store or try to treat him. he probably has a better chance of survival here with us.

will he make the others sick?

blue_eyes53813

NO He wont make the others sick... I would def. look into some vitamins and a good mixture of meats for him. Brine shrimp doesnt have any nutritional value. The fish love it but look for a good reef blend frozen food.. The seaweed is a good thing, I would also put some vitamins on that before feeding. Good luck and keep us posted..

dulk

thank you so much for your help.we are fairly new to saltwater. what types of meats would you suggest?

blue_eyes53813

krill ,mysis, squid, oysters, shrimp. clam, some names of the frozen packages are prime reef, formula one, formula 2, emerald tree... Ask at your pet store im sure they have a freezer with some of these foods.. There are probably many more out there but Im drawing a blank now, lol. All packages usually have a list of the blend on them.. Also be careful not to over feed these foods. You can run into an algae issue. Only feed what the fish will eat in a 5 minute time frame..