DIY Siphon Surger

Jackalope

You are correct on that, I will begin planning positioning over the tank, I have a 20 gallon high tank, will it be enough?

do you have something like a small stout trashcan you could mutilate instead of possibly wasting a good tank Juan? even those plastic rubbermaid containers are like 17 gallon-ish range and way cheaper. although my wife always asks me why i need drain holes in all my rubbermaid containers rofl.

jpsika08

how many gallom tank is your DT Juan? mines a 180 and 5 gallons didnt make a single difference lol. it was like turning on a mag9.5 for 15 seconds. wasnt much happening. i need somewhere along the lines of 5000 gallons per hour of dump, w/in a 15 second time. so... math: 5000gal / 60min. = 83gal per min. / 60sec. = 1.39 gallons per second.

an mp40 moves up to 3200gal/hour so it actually moves .88gallons per second
an mp60 moves up to 7500g/hour which ends up to 2.08

simple math on this and a little thinking tells me im going to need something much much bigger to be effective.
for Juan's case i think he has what a 2K liter? thats about 530gallon tank. that much volume of water to be disturbed by the surge would be more than double what i have/need. im going to do more math on it and some guestimations on pipe-size and what not.

do you have something like a small stout trashcan you could mutilate instead of possibly wasting a good tank Juan? even those plastic rubbermaid containers are like 17 gallon-ish range and way cheaper. although my wife always asks me why i need drain holes in all my rubbermaid containers rofl.

Thanks James,
The DT is 400 Gallons.

Problem I have is the fishroom's height, which there isn't much, so cramping a rubbermaid up there is not possible, the 20gal is not expensive here so I can basically use it, also, I got lying around some Bulkheads which go with glass so I can use them too.
I already got 2 MP60's but if I can increase the amount of flow with the actual return, It would be great!

Jackalope

ooooh i see where you are going on this. its actually going to be part of the return feed From the sump and not just a closed loop? this is interesting. i like it

Jackalope

the higher the fall, the higher the velocity coming out of the pipe Juan. it may not be feisable (spelling?). other words, you may not get that strong a surge. what size bulkheads you have avail? lol i would say something like 1.25 to 1.5 inch. of course the larger the pipe the more GPH you have to feed it to create the vacuum to make that thing dump.

Willie McDaries

The only Surge Device I've seen in action was much more "forceful" than the ones posted above. Maybe it was because it was on a larger system but it acted more like.... well a DUMPING action. I didn't see the final mechanicals on it (never saw inside the canopy once it was finished) but when it surged it looked like a 5g bucket of water fell over all at once as opposed to "running" into the tank.

I really like the concept and LOVE the look of it. I'd try it on a larger tank if it would be more of a DUMP rather than flow.

all of the surge devices that I posted links to needed the surge reservoir mounted higher and with larger PVC outputs and bigger reservoirs to have a better surge for a large system....those are good starting points for smaller tanks though....

the ideal concept would be to dump a 5g bucket all at once and every few seconds and in different locations of the tank to have an awesome surge but it would be difficult to implement over a tank in most homes....

the cantilever design like in sas's post could be built using a 5g bucket instead of bamboo,it would require some neat mechanics to make it function properly,but as the bucket filled,it would get top heavy,dump,then a counter weight would return it to start position to refill....I'm sure someone has already tried it somewhere in the world :D

Re: Bubbles - Most coral can take micro bubbles and as noted in the wild the waves & surf do create them. The problem is when something collects air (say under a monti plate) the coral can die from the constant air exposure in the general area.

good point Al,I didn't think about the trapped air.......Jaun,you'd still need flow from other sources to force any trapped air out from under the coral

Jackalope

45 gallon plastic drum with a 3 inch bulkhead on top? that would seriously do some cool stuff.... Juan, prepair for .... BB!

Jackalope

ah yes. you are good at that! i'm the type that has it all up in my head... of course attention deficite dissorder gets the best of me and then i forget something critical... like pvc or a pump... or even "what was i talking about?" hehehehe

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
ah yes. you are good at that! i'm the type that has it all up in my head... of course attention deficite dissorder gets the best of me and then i forget something critical... like pvc or a pump... or even "what was i talking about?" hehehehe
aMEN~

Today I got up to go to the restroom, got distracted (easily done) and it took me 30 minutes to remember where I was going :LOL:

Jackalope

no juan i think you wont want those mp60's anymore. send them my way and i'll take very good care of them! lol

-omg Al, thasts me all over rofl. stupid thing about this is. i have stratera to take, you know... to remember things. now its the remembering to take the pills to remember things during the day that are the kick in the pants hahahah

Willie McDaries

:LOL: I hadn't noticed that Juan has 2 MP60s,what more do you want Juan ? crank them bad boyz up on short pulse and let the waves rock that tank...

I only have 1 MP60,I couldn't imagine what 2 would do for a tank....or what they'd do to a tank in my case,I don't think my plywood could take that much abuse :D

Robzilla

Willie your plywood would bounce back. ACTUALLY....I would trust the strength of your tank over any glass tank any day! You could drop your tank. I wouldn't want to see Juan drop his.

Jackalope

Willie your plywood would bounce back. ACTUALLY....I would trust the strength of your tank over any glass tank any day! You could drop your tank. I wouldn't want to see Juan drop his.

ditto. plywood doesnt shatter in this case, it flexes. now the framing and screws... more the screws/nails i would be concerned on over anything else. of course with our glass tank we cant just reframe or rescrew it for more rigidity lol.