Mangrove Forest Brackish Riparium

I have a concept in mind for a new setup. I want to do mangrove trees and other brackish-adaptable plants as a brackish riparium.

Most of the information that I run into on the Internet regarding brackish planted tanks describes certain aquarium plants that seem to be able to withstand brackish water, such as Java fern, Anubias, Valisneria and certain others. However, I see scant references to these sorts of plants actually growing in estuaries or mangrove swamps out in nature, so it might be possible that many of them are not such good representations of that sort of habitat. In contrast, there are several riparium plants that could be grown above water in a brackish riparium that might make a more authentic representation of a mangrove swamp or estuary. I already have several such plants established in riparium planters...

• black mangrove (Avicennia germinans)
  • white mangrove (Laguncularia racemosa)
  • leather fern (Acrostichum danaeifolium)

I had all three of these going in my 50-gallon tank, but I have since moved them around. Here is a quick shot showing the black mangrove and the leather fern pretty well in the 50.

4-i-11-tank-ii-m.jpg

These specimens that I have are all currently growing in freshwater, and I imagine that for best results I would need to slowly adapt them to brackish water. Several of the plants in that setup, including the Caladium (with white-spotted leaves) are strictly freshwater and would not survive in brackish water.

Here is a list of additional brackish species that I can get ahold of to try in riparium planters...

• red mangrove (Rhizophora mangle)
  • buttonwood (Conocarpus erectus)
  • ciliata crypt (Cryptocoryne ciliata)

There is a common aquarium plant, Bacopa monnieri, for which I have run into several references as growing in brackish water. I don't know how accurate this is, but once I did see some in Florida growing pretty close to the beach. I have some of that one and I will plan to try it too.

I have my already-established mangrove plants scattered around in various tanks. I just need to shuffle around a few things to make room in the 40 breeder where I plan to set this thing up.

There is also some fun research to do on fish selection. I don't have any fish yet for this project.

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
I don't know that there are any plants that thrive in brackish water but the mangove will do ok if you keep the salt washed off them.

Welcome to Rs noice looking tank!

Thanks Eric!

There most definitely are some mangrove plants that will grow well in brackish. I have seen dense mangrove swamps in brackish areas down in FLorida.

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
Yeah they will grow in many conditions, the trick when having them in saltwater is to spray them off regularly if not the salt will clog the pores and the plants will die, I believe this is why there are no underwater plants that are specifially brackish.

Curious to see your progress and trial and error, I love tanks setup like this they just add so much more to the common aquarium IMO

Eric, Yes I plan to spray all of the plants down from time to time with RO. These mangroves that I have in freshwater already accumulate some salt on their leaves from the little bit that is in our hard tapwater and from the ferts that I use.

Here is a fun observation for my little black mangrove trees that I have, still growing in fresh water.

Black mangrove trees do not develop stilt roots the way that red mangroves (Rhizophora mangle) do, but they do grow these pneumatophores.

27-iii-11-avicennia-germinans-ii-m.jpg

Pneumatophores probably help the mangrove trees to improve oxygen uptake in strongly anoxic substrates. Cypress knees might have a similar function.

It takes a while for the pneumatophores to develop. I only began to see them a few months ago on my plants, but I have been growing them in riparium planters for a couple of years. You can see that the tree has a pretty substantial little trunk about 5/16" thick. At first I thought that they were just wayward roots, but they kept growing and it was clear that they were the pneumatophores.

Frankie

RS STAFF
Very cool :thumbup:
You may want to think about an auto spray setup kinda like the one you see in the grocery store in the produce sections.
I live in brackish water country and see all kinds of plants growing on the banks.

Where do you live Frankie if you don't mind my asking? I hope to track down some other possibilities. I'd really like to get some buttonwood.

Does anybody have any fish suggestions? There are a lot of cool possibilities for brackish water. I have thought that it would be cool to push the envelope a bit and shoot for some kind of true marine fish that could live (happily) in brackish water. I was reading a while back about three spot damselfish as a potential choice for a brackish tank.

Frankie

RS STAFF
Mollies do well in brackish water and poop small ;)
I am in Charleston SC. Once it warms up a bit more I will be starting my fishing again and will keep an eye out for some plants. Shoot me a pm with some links to what your looking for.

Luukosian

If it helps any I had a brackish tank with java fern and java moss. It lived until I tore the tank down(couple years)....but never really grew much. The ferns started to kind of deteriorate towards the end when I started raising salinity up to about .018

Yeah like I mention above I am mainly interested in the mangrove species that grow up above the water. I think this tank won't have any underwater plants at all.

Last night I moved some more things around to make room in the 40 breeder. I can start getting the mangroves into there soon. I am not going to start adding salt right away because I want to spend some time conditioning some livebearers in the first, but I cn awork on growing up the mangroves some more.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Best wishes on getting the livebearers acclimated to SW. Let us know how it all develops.

Thanks reefmack!

Finally after a couple of weeks I cleared some space and got the tank set up. This is a 30 breeder.

23-iv-11-tank-i-m.jpg

I have these really great manzanita stumps that I am going to use in here. I started them soaking to leach some of the organics out and get them to sink. I need to go get some aragaonite sand for the bottom of the tank.

This is going to be a nice simple setup with a few pretty cool fish and plants.

Here is another really great mangrove that I plan to use in the tank, white mangrove (Laguncularia racemosa). I currently have it going in my 11-4G riparium setup but it is growing fast and getting too big for that tank. It has these great paddle-shaped rubbery leaves.

13-v-11-laguncularia-racemosa-i-m.jpg

I have been growing it all along in freshwater. It will need an adaptation period to grow in brackish conditions.

QuentinB

Sorry, I've been silently lurking, but this is some cool stuff! Are freshwater ripariums hard to keep? I may have to look into this. Great pics, also!

Thanks! I need to get some more picture updates. I meant to tonight but we were p late watching a movie.

Ripariums are pretty easy. Unlike regular planted aquariums you can have really lush foliage without having to add extra CO2 and the plants also have it easier because they grow algae-free. There is an article about ripariums in the July Aquarium Fish International magazine. There is also an online article right here...

Aqua Botanic's Aqua Bloggin » Planted Ripariums: A New Dimension in Aquarium Plant Care

I haven't been back here in a while. I just ordered some fish for this setup--might get here Monday--and I plant to post updates soon.