Our 37 Gallon Display with 10 Gallon Fuge.

Uslanja

The Paly frag that we placed down on the substrate is doing good.

IMG_5609_edited-1.jpg

IMG_5726_edited-1.jpg

The monti cap is growing at a very fast rate. It is starting to have some interesting topography.

IMG_5718-copy_edited-2.jpg

IMG_5658_edited-1.jpg

IMG_5724_edited-1.jpg

Uslanja

And now to introduce our new chalice. This chalice has been aquacultured. We have no idea if it has a name but it displays a very interesting change in colour depending on what lighting it is viewed under. It goes from orange under daylights to green under actinics. It has been in our tank for 1 1/2 weeks now.

Some skeleton showing when we picked it up and has not receded anymore.

IMG_5673_edited-1.jpg

IMG_5667_edited-1.jpg

It is rather difficult to get a full shot and have all the different areas in focus.

IMG_5671_edited-1.jpg

IMG_5672_edited-1.jpg

We are monitoring water parameters daily.

Uslanja

Hi Everyone! The water paramters are proving to be quite the challenge!! we are able to slowly get our numbers up but we are doing that with 25% daily water changes. This is proving to be a little on the annoying side!!

We are still trying to figure out the two part dosing. As soon as we stop 25% daily water changes our alk, pH and calcium drop quickly. Let me give an example of my complete lack of understanding the use of this product.

The alkalinity is at 5.4 dKH and the target we want to acquire is 8.1 dKH. According to the online calculators; using the B-Ionic Alkalinity (Calcium Buffer System) Part #1 we will need to add 208.4 ml to our 40 gallon aquarium. However, the manufacturers instructions state to never exceed more than 1 ml per gallon in 24 hours. At this application rate we will never achieve the target. The alkalinity will constantly deplete faster than we can catch up.

The calcium is at 380 ppm and we would like to achieve a target of 440 ppm. According to the online calculators we will need to add 150 ml of B-Ionic Calcium (Calcium Buffer System) Part #2. However, the manufacturer states to never add more than 1 ml. per gallon in a 24 hour period. The calcium will never catch up.

And so there is our dilemma! We haven't even stocked our tank with a number of stony corals yet and we can't get the calcium and alkalinity right. I'm not turning my living room into something that looks like the backroom of a restaurant with calcium reactors bubbling away and co2 cylinders chained to the wall. Guppies are starting to look like a real nice alternative!!

On the serious side though, we do not seem to be able to achieve the numbers that are supposed to be realistic targets with the B-Ionic two part system. Should we just switch to Baking Soda and Kent Turbo Calcium?

GlassMunky

Wow, thats really odd..... I only have to add 10ml each day to my 40G system to keep the numbers up, and my tank is FILLED with nothing but SPS and LPS....... hope you guys get this figured out

Uslanja

News flash!! We just ordered two tanker trucks of the two part system. A couple of 5/8" natural rubber hoses running to the 37 gallon tank and we should be all set for a few weeks!!

Just kidding!! The driveway isn't big enough for two trucks!!

As occasionally happens around our house; Tracy and I were talking about house renovations, what room to do next, summer is coming what are we going to do in the yard, what new animals do we want to raise and of course, our aquariums. And as has been the topic on a few occasions, we decided that we probably should wait (actually Tracy decided!!) and complete a tank upgrade sometime in the next year before we add anything more to THE 37. And I must agree with that logic! We have shoe horned a 37 gallon tall cube tank into a space just big enough to get it in. Viewing from the sides is next to impossible. We placed it on a low table that we picked up at a junk store and there is absolutely no place for any additional equipment. So logic dictates that we let the things that we have grow, enjoy the experience and not add anything more until we have the right setup!!

So here is what Tracy brought home this past weekend for THE 37!!!!

A new Zoa frag complete with some type of mollusk.

IMG_5761_edited-1.jpg

IMG_5763_edited-1.jpg

A three head, down to two and maybe just one head if it doesn't pick up Blastomussa Merletti (this fella really does need some TLC, but we're hopeful that it will pull through)

IMG_5755_edited-1.jpg

Uslanja

And, the best news that we have to share????? Well guess what? I'm not letting you see that here!!!!! You will just need to go over to THE 23 chronicle and see what GlassMunky has been busy creating!! Thanks Glass!!!

QuentinB

Sweet corals! The zoas on the mollusk is interesting, I wonder if that would happen in the ocean? A tank upgrade?! I'll be watching for that!

QuentinB

For sure! Plan the tank, hit your favorite saltwater stores, maybe work in some Mighty Taco sometime in there... We're set!

crespeto

can't wait to see the new setup. The pics are really nice the colors you all have on the corals is just insane. Thanks for sharing, good luck with the 2 head getting stronger.

glampka

Did I hear someone call my name & say we're going to Mighty Taco??? I'm in! Just be sure it's before boating season.

Uslanja

Hi Gary! Nope, you'll be on the water then. We're looking at mid August when Quentin and Shell will be visiting. But swing in close to shore and we'll fire a few "Mighty's" across your bow! But we're going to give them a taste of the "Mighty Niagara" on the "Whirlpool Jet Boats". That should get those mid-western prairie people a little wet!! Tracy has already wimped out but Quentin says he's game and I haven't heard from Shell yet!!

Uslanja

Hi Chris! We've been rather busy lately and haven't had time to hang out on RS. We did pick up a hurting Blasto and a zoa frag. The zoa's had some very intense colour and a clam of some kind in it. We thought the clam was a nice addition and so we brought it home. But by the next day the crabs had devoured the clam and set a few clumps of zoas free to blow around the tank. We're letting the zoa clumps go wherever they go and see if they can establish themselves. We still have a rather large frag of them right where we wanted them and they look to be doing well.

All that is left of the poor clam. Not sure if something was wrong with the clam or not, we didn't have time to really watch it. However, not wanting to sound callous, but we rather enjoy the look of the zoas growing on the clam shell. We haven't decided where to place it yet.

Clam inside it's shell.

IMG_5784_edited-1.jpg

Not much left.

IMG_5788_edited-1.jpg

And, the shell just about to tumble off the reef to the sand bed.

IMG_5790.jpg

The Blasto was not looking real good when we bought it. We had hoped that one head would survive and then regenerate, but we have had such great luck with it. By the next day both heads had plumped up and were moving in the current. Our impression is that it is enjoying it's new home.

IMG_5785_edited-1.jpg

IMG_5786_edited-1.jpg

I'm still trying to get time to learn how to use this camera. Some areas of the photos are washed out and overexposed. I've tried to correct it in photoshop but that is another thing that I still haven't learned how to use. I need to get time and read my "Dummies" book. Who would have thought that someone would write a book just for me!! Here is an attempt to correct the overexposed area.

Before

IMG_5786_edited-1.jpg

After

IMG_5786_edited-2-1.jpg

Oh well, it's a hobby, I'm not supposed to have time, just desire!!

glampka

Hi Gary! Nope, you'll be on the water then. We're looking at mid August when Quentin and Shell will be visiting. But swing in close to shore and we'll fire a few "Mighty's" across your bow! But we're going to give them a taste of the "Mighty Niagara" on the "Whirlpool Jet Boats". That should get those mid-western prairie people a little wet!! Tracy has already wimped out but Quentin says he's game and I haven't heard from Shell yet!!

Oh yeah - The mighty Jet Boat ride! Have ridden it a few times. Make sure they ride the open top one rather than the glass covered one. Now if you want to really make the ride interesting do it early in the year when the water hasn't warmed up yet.