RSM (Red Sea Max) Owners Club

Arreola

bryceK - Have you figured what type of algae you had?

Here it is the pic of the type of algae that not noticed until I read your message.
Does anyone know what it is?

IMG_0005.jpg

grandy

Arreola: I can't identify what that is in your photo. I'm not sure that it's an algae, though. Could it be aiptasia anemones? Try 'googling' that & see if you can find some pics that might help. If it is aiptasia ... you want to get rid of it pronto!! Maybe someone else will have the answer for you. good luck!

Arreola

Grandy - I already reomove that thing.
I took out the rock and remove ir with am old tooth brush.
I also rinse the rock with salt water (from the water change) and put it back in its place.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
If only I could still see pictures at work :(

Arreola/bryceK - I've always found this site great for a first search at identifying unknown critters and algae:

Melev's ID Site

Maybe you'll see them in there.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Arreola - thanks for emailing the picture of your "algae" to me. I'll agree with grandy - it doesn't quite look like an algae. The pictures are difficult to see much detail, so I'm not sure if it's Aiptasia either. It almost looks like a pale star polyp based on what might be a small light colored dot in the middle of the tentacles (or I'm just imagining I see that!). It might even be a dead and bleached out algae of some sort. Did this stuff have any base under the growth? Star polyps usually spread via a mat type base underneath the polyps. It'll be interesting to see if any reappear. I'm just making a lot of guesses as to what it might have been. :)

Arreola

Reefmack - I will keep a close look to the RSM if it does reapear, I will move the rock closer to the galss and try to take a better picture.

I'm not 100% sure that I got all of that "thing" out.

One question to all those who have Duncans.
Does the Duncan change color? Mine is not a colorful as I saw it in the LFS.
Also, the Polyps are opening upward, insted of opening to the sides but they look full extended. Current Maybe? too close to the bottom?

On the other hand, I change the Kenya Tree to a higer place and finally started to open.

The Plate, has not open yet, It only shows its tentacles, I move that one to place will less current to try make it open.

My Alkalinity, is at 7 dKH, and the phosphates are on the rise (0.25)
BUT, NO2, NO3 and Ammonia are at 0.
PH looking good at 8.4
SG, 1.024
CA: 480 ppm.

The Sailfin is gowing like a pig, The Sixline, is not gorwing too fast, but looks good, and the 2 Clowns (Ocellaris), are looking more colorfull and growing.

The Banded Coral Shrimp, has change twice its Shell /Skin (is it a shell or skin?) :hammerhea, but it spend most of his time hiding.

No Snails have died, and they keep the DT very cleen!

Should I get a Goby to cleen the Sand? lateley I'v been having some brown spots on the sand, but does not look like algae.

Arreola

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Arreola - yes, keep an eye on the spot where that life was that you scraped off. Also the rest of the tank in case it shows up somewhere else. It could be Aiptasia and may very well reappear if it was.

On the Duncans, give them a while to get used to your conditions. Even then corals can look different under different lights (RSM vs the LFS), so it's very possible they may not look the same color in your tank. I wouldn't worry too much if they're opening upward. Corals can at times take a week or more to return to normal after being moved.

Your alkalinity is a bit low, and phosphates higher than recommended, but the tank is still pretty new and things may be adjusting. There are chemical media you can put in back that will absorb the phosphates.

The proper biological term for the outside of shrimp is exoskeleton! But I think anyone would easier recognize shell or skin or just say the shrimp molted LOL!

I'm not sure what to recommend on the goby and the brown spots. The brown may be diatom or maybe a type of cyano? Maybe a sand sifting goby like a Diamond Watchman Goby would help, as long as there was enough of the things it needs to eat in the substrate. Otherwise they might starve.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
arh - my apologies - I just saw your tank picture (they have Photobucket and similar pictures now blocked where I work). The tank looks great! That brain is awesome too! Good job on the tank and nice rock too. Is that an SPS coral on the top right? It looks like the Xenia has worked it's way up the right side. Keep an eye on the SPS - when I had Xenia in my tank it killed a pink Birdsnest SPS frag by constantly flapping against it with the flow in the tank. If you see the SPS looking like it's being bothered by the Xenia I'd suggest thinking about trimming the Xenia closest to it.

Arreola

Reefmack - I wil add a Buffer ana dsee if I can increase the Alkalinity.
With the phosphates, maybe is due to overfeeding, some days they seams to eat more than others. I put Tropic Marine EWlimi-Phos Longlife.
So it must be the feeding.

Other problem tihat I have with the RSM is that the skimmer is not pulling out too much stuff.
My wife have to go next month to the US, I will order the Tunze 9002 and some replacement bulbs to some online store and ask her to get that for me.
I call one of the stores that have the Tunze in Mexico, 450.00US + 17.00 US shiping. :cursin:
But I am not that desperate to pay that money for the Skimmer.

Does any one know if the ASM Mini will fit in the RSM?

Arreola

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Arreola - $450 US is very high for the 9002! Is that the price in Mexico? Maybe your wife can pick up one in the US much cheaper. I don't think the ASM Mini will fit. Try to find the "footprint" size of the ASM and measure the back of the RSM - I think it's only about 3 inches across? Not very many alternate skimmers (that work) will fit in that space.

Anyone who loves the look of nudibranches but doesn't wanna deal with the trouble they bring in caring them should get an elephant snail like me :)

Arreola

Reefmack - Its one of the quotes I got for the Tunze 9002 Skimmer here in México.
I'm sure that I can get a better price on other stores, but no one have it on stock.
It usaly takes about 3 - 5 weeks to get here, and by that time my wife will be in the US or would be close to the dates she has to be there.

I already send an Email to Marine Depot's Customer Support, and you can't have different shipping address from you billing address on international orders ir you pay with a credit card, but you can pay via PayPal and change the shipping address.

I will ask if they have the items on stock a week before the trip to the US and try to get it then.

Arreola

Scooterman

Hey Folks, been busy fighting hurricanes here but slowly coming back!

While down with Ike we watched the weather & I did some wiring for my RSM. As you may know I recently purchased an Outer Orbit 4 lamp H.O. T5 / 250W HQI MH. Well to help with heat, I wired up a new 4" Omron A/C fan, this thing has three ball bearings, talk about an air moving machine. Then I took the outer Orbit end cap off & mounted the fan. It is plugged into the MH timer so it come on the same time. With the room at 80 the tank won't go over 80.5, this fan blows Directly across the water surface, very even with it. Doing this increased the water Evap. some so I also did some wiring for a simple timer circuit that I use to top off the tank. Rather than rely on un-reliable float switches It just uses a timer to come on a few seconds several times a day to a ph that pumps RO/DI into the tank. Not quite finished yet, I need to mount it but it works great. I hope to get some time this weekend to clean things up as far as wiring & mounting equipment. I'm behind on my stand building process also, so maybe I'll get lucky & get some of that done.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
DontXtripNfall - I had to look up the elephant snail as I never heard of it before. It looks a lot like a stomatella. One site said they get to 100mm - 4 inches - that could be one big snail! By the way, when I did a Google search on elephant snail one of the links it gave me was to your post on Manhattan Reefs - you're famous LOL!

Elephant Snail

I finally got to see that Mohawk haircut of yours!

Scooterman - sounds like a nice mod on the cooling fan in the Orbit. I'm confused though - did you replace the Orbit fan? My Orbit fan doesn't blow across the tank - mine blows through the hood, one side through the other and doesn't blow across the surface. I have the 150W hqi model, with internal ballast, and the top of my hood barely even gets warm. That's a nice mod on the ATO timer too!

Scooterman

I had 4 elephant snails in my 125g tank but they were sent with the tank, too much for the RSM.

The fan is external to the unit, easy mod & it still has the internal fan for cooling. The ballast is also External with a fan. I'll post pics when I can.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
.........The fan is external to the unit, easy mod & it still has the internal fan for cooling. The ballast is also External with a fan. I'll post pics when I can.

Thanks for the explanation! When you said you took the Orbit end cap off it sounded like you were replacing the other fan - I guess you just took the end cap off to hook up the new fan on the timer. I have a somewhat similar setup - with a 3 way timer outlet strip - when the MH light is timed to turn on my dual fan mounted on the back comes on for the same time period.

grandy

Any advice or tips on how to save this poor Coral?? It wasn't like this when I bought it, but I had kept the lights off for 2 and 1/2 days and I think that caused the damage.

P9140001-1.jpg

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Arreola - I justr got home from work and was able to see your elephant snail picture - not what I expected!:spinner:

grandy - Pretty brain coral. I agree it doesn't look good with the brain skeleton showing, and yet the part that's alive looks healthy? Is that a type of mushroom to the left of it? Maybe whatever that is to the left is having a toxic effect on the brain on that side? But then, it looks like some skeleton may be showing to the right of center? The frogspawn is pretty close too on the upper right, and I know they can sting - but I see no damage there and that wouldn't explain the damage on the left. Is the brain mounted on the rock? The typical recommendation is to put brains on the substrate as the fleshy part could be scraped by sharp rock. I'll admit I'm only making guesses on what may be going on. You might want to post the picture in the Corals section here on Reef Sanctuary and see what opinions you get. Has it improved at all since you have the lighting back on?

arh

Reefmack -- Good call on trimming the anthelia near my SPS. That stuff grows like mad! I've been fighting to keep it confined to one piece of Tonga branch LR.