RSM (Red Sea Max) Owners Club

MrsPeer

Is anyone dosing DT's live phytoplankton? If so, how is that working out for you? My friend at the LFS told me to dose it weekly to feed the bacteria and copopods that the corals need, especially SPS if I want to venture to keep them.

Scooterman

I think trying to remove scratches off glass is more difficult than acrylic. Unless you want to drain it & really get to sanding & buffing, I'd probably leave it alone, glass with care is much harder to scratch than acrylic, so it should look great for many years to come. JMO! :)

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
MrsPeer - great to see you stop in! Nice corals too! I've got a nice B wellsi also - scarlet & blue, and I noticed last week that it's got a small one growing next to it now. Good news on the clowns too. We had 10 -12" of rain from what was left of Tropical Storm Fay, got nothing at all except sunshine from Hanna, and luckily Ike is going west for now. Good to hear you had no damage from the earthquake! We even get an infrequent earthquake here in NC, but most of time you have to hear it on the news to even know we had one. I used to feed the DT's, but mine got too old to trust, and the stuff is a bit expensive, so I just put in an infrequent dose of Coral Frenzy.

I'm guessing that SWFish will feel a bit of Hurricane Ike, but hopefully the worst will pass west of Hollywood, FL. By the way, where are you SWFish, Grandy, Brent, and the rest of the refugees? We haven't heard very much in here lately from a lot of folks.

Bryce - I ordered the Lifereef overflow today for my upcoming refugium setup - they had 3 in stock. I got an extra U tube also, just in case I break one. I'll get a return pump, etc. ordered soon.

MrsPeer

Reefmack - Glad to hear that you didn't get hit too hard with the storms. I'm wondering too where all the refugees went.

Good news on the new head of B. Wellsi sprouting. I only wish I have unlimited patience with waiting for my frags to fill my tank.

bryceK

Reefmack, Glad to hear about the Lifereef overflow. I did not order the extra u-tube as I clean all of my equipment in my basement sink which has a padded rubber coating across the bottom.

I guess I am going to have to order an ATO since none of the shops around here carry them. So I will be looking at those tonight.

SeahorseBT

I updated my chronicle with pics, here is a FTS(Chronicle has more)
002.jpg

Last edited:

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
MrsPeer - patience is not easy is it? I used to constantly watch my corals for growth, but I found if I don't pay too much attention to them they all of a sudden seem to have grown or multiplied. I'm now having some aggression problems between two types of "peaceful" Montiporas (plate vs. branching)- not something I expected at all. I guess I just placed them too close to each other.

BryceK - good luck on the ATO search. I got mine quite a while ago, and plan to relocate the sensors in the sump/fuge once I get it set up.

SeahorseBT - the tank is really looking super! It look like your duncans are multiplying as fast as mine have been doing. I never realized they pop out new heads so quickly!

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Yep - I've seen your chronicle and keep up with it. My duncans are the fastest growing coral I've had!'

Arreola

HI all.
MrsPeer - Great looking corals you got there.

Reefmack - Nothing much going on in my RSM, still trying to get rid of the algae, overall everyting is pretty much the same.

The weather is real bad here, lots of rain and electrical storms, and a lot of blackouts. :cry1:

Hope things are better in th US.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Arreola - it looks like you might be getting affected by tropical storm Lowell on the Pacific side? It also looks like Hurricane Ike is currently forecast to hit Texas and Mexico. You're getting it from both sides! It looks like SWFish, Kent, has escaped the worst of Ike, but it looks like he may be getting some rain & stormy weather.

Arreola

HI all.
Yesterday the guy from the aquarium that has been helping me with the RSM (besides the great advise and tips from all you RSM Owners Club) came over to help me with the maintenance and told me that the aglae that I have is perfectly normal, and I can start adding some soft corals. :jumprope:

He also told me that there is a shippment of corals coming in next week, so I'm hoping to find someting that I can bring home.

I'll keep you all posted

Arreola

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Great news Arreola! Would you like to share a picture of your algae covered tank with us? Be sure to show us any new corals you get too! There's nothing new for me to report. When I get my new refugium going I'll post some pictures, but that may be 2 weeks.

LPSLuver

You can now add me to the Life Reef Overflow club. Got mine up and running 2 days ago. Works great. Got the gurgling resolved but want to get the other noise issues resolved. I may try to make my own Aqua Silencer or buy one and get a reducing bushing to make it work.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
You can now add me to the Life Reef Overflow club. Got mine up and running 2 days ago. Works great. Got the gurgling resolved but want to get the other noise issues resolved. I may try to make my own Aqua Silencer or buy one and get a reducing bushing to make it work.

Hi there LPSluver! Which Lifereef did you get - the regular Nano or the RSM version or ??? You'll have to let us know how you resolve(d) the noise issues. I don't have mine yet, but I'm sure they're all the same. I'm used to the noise from my Remora skimmer so the Lifereef noise may not be as big of an issue for me, but the quieter the better. I wondered why they don't offer the silencer option on the nano versions - maybe it's due to their silencer not fitting into the smaller nano versions.

LPSLuver

Hi there LPSluver! Which Lifereef did you get - the regular Nano or the RSM version or ??? You'll have to let us know how you resolve(d) the noise issues. I don't have mine yet, but I'm sure they're all the same. I'm used to the noise from my Remora skimmer so the Lifereef noise may not be as big of an issue for me, but the quieter the better. I wondered why they don't offer the silencer option on the nano versions - maybe it's due to their silencer not fitting into the smaller nano versions.
I got the RSM version. I resolved the noise issue (gurgling and flushing) by putting a long piece of tubing (about as long as the tubing to the sump) into the tubing going from the overflow. I pushed it all the way down and then slowing pulled it out until the noises went away (or got much quieter). This allows the air, that causes the gurgling and the flushing, to escape out through the tube. The tubing is about 1/4" ID. Jeff describes this method in his installation instructions as well.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
LPSLuver - thanks. I'd read somewhere about putting the tubing in and pulling it back out till the noise diminishes. I guess I'll wait for my unit to arrive and read the instructions. I'm hoping to get the baffles in my 10g tank this weekend, and hopefully get the fuge in next weekend.

Arreola
- I'll have to wait till I get home to see your picture. I hate having the pics blocked at my workplace! :(

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
It's my tanks 6 month anniversary! Busy with school but I'll post pics when I free up.

Well, Happy Anniversary DontXtripNfall's RSM!!! 6 months old! :ofr: :crowd:

Arreola - the tank looks great, and it's good to see that your algae isn't the long hair type! Good to see your 6-line is looking healthy too! Good job! :woohoo: