Althea's 90 Gallon.....

nikkipigtails

Those are fabulous trumpets Sarah. I'm sorry to hear about your lighting issues. It took us 3 months to get all of our lighting so I can sympathize.

tbittner

HUGE Colony of trumpets! WOW! It's really cool when you get a blow fish and they play the trumpets. It CAN keep you up at night though. They're rather noisy. You also need a tuna to tune the trumpets.

(just trying to get you to LAUGH and enjoy posting to your chronicle again. :) )

althea2you

thanks Lorraine!!! i split it up today so now i have trumpets spread out amongst the tank......changed the scaping (just a wee bit) because it was not coral placement friendly.. :p.. looked cool, but wasnt real great. anywho... thanks for stopping by!

althea2you

hello hello everyone... i will give a little update, then i need to go reply to some of the threads i have been lurking on! ;)

well we had a power outage about a week ago or so, and i was without power from 10:30 in the morning till 8 at night.. i was so worried about the tanks.. but everything was JUST fine.. no problems what so ever.. PHEW! so my sweet sweet husband went and got me a a huge power supply.... the whole tank is on it and tons of wattage to spare... and if the power goes out again, it will run the tank for 3 hours... so that is a nice relief to have... that last outage was the longest we have ever had at this house.....wierd weather this early spring.. !

well all my critters are doing well, i had 3 ricordia (the ones from the nano that i was trying to revive) have detached and disappeared.. one i just found on a rock ledge and the other two i have no clue!!! ??? mysterious! :p my rocks are starting to get some beautiful color on them! well.. the side that is lit anyway! :p my new ballast is on its way...darn it!! i dont recall them saying they were sending me a new bulb....grrr.. now i will hve to call them again. ok, anyways... i think i have a TON of flow in my tank and really no place that givets any reprive from it... and my xenia doesnt seem to like that very much...(oh and if i havnt mentioned it.. it is NOT blue xenia as was labled! didnt think so but thought it was still a very pretty species of xenia) i broke the colony of trumets up and spread them around the tank.. there are about 10-11 great branches with about a range of 4-10 heads on each... so they are doing well and look very nice! i will take pics tomorrow of everything.

i have noticed my tankes stages and it is sooo cool to watch... i watched the diatom stage come and go and then i got this strong yellow green dusting in the tank that covered the glass, and that lasted about 4-7 days.. but it collected so quick that i was cleaning the glass about 2 times a day!! i was like.. wth?!! but then the tank regulated itself and i only have to clean the glass about once a week. then i saw this wierdness on my sand and lower portion of the rocks...it looked like spiderwebs(green) on my sand very strange looking... that was a day before my water change that i noticed that.. i vacuumed the toip portion of the sand a little and i havnt seen it again... it was very light... strange!! i can see the bacteria developing in my sand in the lower depths of it.. that too is cool.. not pretty, but still cool... and that it so far!! i have started to see life come about o my rocks! i am glad, because the amount of time that they sat in those buckts was a long time.. the only thing i did was keep the water at 78 and have a powrerhead in the buckets.. i didnt skim anything at all so i didnt cure them properly and they lost alot of the beaurtiful color they had when i got them. but im starting to see it emerge again! yippee!!

wow, ok, that got lengthy!!! i'll stop now....oh! the RO unit... dont have it hooked up yet! need to get something else... i am thinking i will go with a self peircing thingy.. i am going to post a picture of my piping tomorrow and get some input on wether i can do that with the pipes i have... ok... thats it... thank for reading!! i know.,. what a snore!

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Glad the power outtage was "Uneventful".

On your power supply.... you want to ONLY plug in Life Support items. On mine I have the return pump and that's it. This way you can go longer without power. The heater can be plugged in later if needed but they SUCK the juice. Also you don't want any lights or excessive pumps that are not "Mission Critical"

thanks for the update. Glad to hear all the good news :)

tbittner

Power outages suck. Ours was out this evening from 3 pm until midnight. We have a generator though so I kept everything for the tanks running, including the lights. It's great to hear that everything came through for you! Have you tried looking for the rics with just the blue moonlights on? When mine split and drop babies, that's how I find them, they glow BIG time. Next evening I'll pick them up and sit them in a hole in a rock and they seem to attach there and grow out of the hole.

Craig Manoukian

The tank maturation process usually follows a pattern of brown diatoms, green algae, and cyanobacteria. You are right on schedule and time and patients is the key! Congrats on your tank journey!

Last edited:

framerguy

Sarah, Sarah, Sarah....self pircing thingy? and showing your piping?...people may get the wrong idea about us reefers after reading your chronicle!:laugh:

Nice update! You are fun to read..fo sho!

althea2you

Sarah, Sarah, Sarah....self pircing thingy? and showing your piping?...people may get the wrong idea about us reefers after reading your chronicle!:laugh:

Nice update! You are fun to read..fo sho!

HAHAHA!!! yeah i had the same thoughts when i typed it up! LOL... couldnt be helped! BAWDY i tell ya! just BAWDY! :D

thanks you all for checking in...i did not get pics today.. :p.. just didnt feel like it.. really didnt feel like doing ANYTHING at all actually! :D anyways! ttyl!

althea2you

hey terry, yeah they are unbelievable... its great! but you know whats even better? no matter if the Cubs are good or Bad, they are fun to watch! so its just all that much better when they are kickin butt! :D Husband just got back from Toronto... they went up there for Cubs games and a bachelor party! they were at friday and saturdays games up there...

althea2you

well here are some pictures from the 90.... the leather is droopy.. i think its because his side of the tank doesnt have a MH... and it always seems to be reaching for the side that does... we will see how he looks when i get the new ballast and bulb. ok, here are some pics..

FTS as of this morning

stitchedFTS6-18-08.jpg

trumpets with feeder tentacles out..

trumpetsized.jpg

My Xenia.. so pretty! didnt think i would be a xenia fan! huh.. but i do like this one! a lot!

xeniasized.jpg

here is a close up of the leathers fingers and polyps!

leathersized.jpg

here is the birdsnest...these pics are all taken with just the T-5's on... MH's have not come on yet

birdsnestsized.jpg

my Blue ricordia, doing very well!!

bluericordiasized-1.jpg

and my pink ricordia starting to get healthy i think.. i feel it has gained a lot of its color that it lost in my nano....so hopefully its getting better....

pinkricordiasized.jpg

ok, thats it for now.... i am going to go get a shot of my piping! :wink wink: and you all can let me know about the self piercing thingy! LMAO... cause i need to get this hooked up...i am SO sick of the trips to the fish store....

take care...

framerguy

The self piercing thingy is called a "saddle valve" so you'll know what to ask for when you go to the store and ask for one. They are easy to install and you do need one.
I'm sure your piping is absolutely gorgeous, so let's see it. :wink wink back atcha:

sick of the fish store??!! WTH!