[NanoCube 12 DX] what now?

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Here is what I did with my new Bio-cube and it is working great so far. .....

When you added that "Odyssea 24wt PC light" did you notice any additional heat? Or did you add the lights AND modify the cooling system all at the same time? I just flipped the lid up and I don't think there is enough room under my stock hood for another set of lights. If so, I would have to modify or remove part of the reflector because it's made to where it takes up the rest of the space after the two sets of bulbs already in this hood. Maybe I am just over looking it. I'll look more into it and see what I can come up with. Your CUBE looks amazing!!

murkywaters sorry about any confusion... I was talking about the "JBJ Filter sponges that come from the factory stuffed down inside the back chambers of my cube. Thanks for the input just the same though!! :)

Allen

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I GOOFED! LFS gave me this BEAUTIFUL Purple/yellow sea slug over the weekend. I put him into My Nano-Cube and he was amazing Saturday and Sunday. Then Monday he went missing. Monday night I did some research and apparently they are VERY toxic. So Tuesday I got looking and cant find him. Wednesday still no find so I figure he's behind the rock (Aquascapped on Saturday and did NOT want to tear it all apart yet). LAst night I noticed the water was sort of "cloudy" and brownish but figured I was comparing it to my sparkling CLEAR tank at home and being paranoid. The more I thought the more I wondered what was going on. I tested the water and it's dead on with my tests. I went ahead and did a 3 gallonw WC last night (25 %) and it looked much better. Today it just looks too cloudy and I got to thinking more and more. I decided I would go searching for the slug! Started off moving non-epoxied rock. Nothing. Then I reached way in the side of the tank around some rock and moved the water around. Up comes this almost clear glob of spooge floating around. I grabbed it and immediately recognized it as the remains of the slug (due to shape and familiar dark line around the skirt area). I pulled it out and the SMELL made me gag. I literally gagged and almost puked as I ran out of my office and across the building to an outside door (Much to the AMUZMENT of co-workers as a 6'4" muscular man runs through gagging like a school girl) and tossed the slug. I immediately did a partial change again, new filter sponges and a charcoal bag in middle chamber!

Anything ELSE I need to do? I have a Devil's Leather in there and it's looking VERY wilted (but it does this sometimes) at the moment! Other than water changes is there something I SHOULD be doing?

Allen

saltwaterfarm

I can't think of anything if you are doing W/C's and running carbon... good luck! Make sure to rinse any filter cartridges frequently... if you are vacuuming when changing water... be sure to get any of the "gunk" that was left behind. Sorry about your slug... and the effects...

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I can't think of anything if you are doing W/C's and running carbon... good luck! Make sure to rinse any filter cartridges frequently... if you are vacuuming when changing water... be sure to get any of the "gunk" that was left behind. Sorry about your slug... and the effects...

I am pretty sure it came out in it's entirety and as far as I can tell there isn't any "spooge" left over!

I am rinsing the sponges every 2- 3 hours while here in the office. Done it TWICE today and will again shortly!

Thanks for the sorry! Wish I had researched it SOONER but such as life!! Hopefully ALL will turn out GOOD!! :)

Allen

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I did a massive water change last night (They are getting easier but doing them at work really IS work)....

This morning I rinsed the filters, sponges and bags (man they were COATED with spooge). The water is so MUCh clearer this morning but still has some "work" to do before it's right. I was afraid my NH4 would be through the roof but before the WC it was barely even registering. Hopefully with all the LR and LR Rubble (in the back chambers #1 & #2) the "system" was able to adapt to this "nuke" effect.

My FrogSpawn (just got the new little guy this week) is looking AWESOME! Not sure if he LOVED whatever was happening or he's just now acclimating to the tank but WOW he looks so cool!!!

Allen

lcstorc

Awful story. Glad to hear things seem to be ok. I'm sure the water changes and carbon saved the day. Glad it didn't happen on the weekend when you were away. That is the part that scares me about an office tank. I travel a lot and would be too afraid of something going wrong while I was not there.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Haven't been there today but as of last night all looks good. Everything is open and seems to be once again THRIVING!

Yeah the weekend thing is a concern but I have trusted and experienced friends who work there and can come in and take care of things if needed. Plus me only living 2 minutes from the office unless I am really OUT OF POCKET I get by there several times over the weekend anyway.

Allen

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Did 1/3 WC last night. All tank params are looking GREAT! This morning I switched our the sponges again and washes out the filter bag with carbon in it. When I left this evening to come home the water was almost CRYSTAL clear. So I think it's back on the path to stability again!! SWEET!!

Allen :)

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Wow! Talk about letting your OWN thread slip away.... Holy Bat Cow Man!

Ok the tank has been doing AMAZING now for months and months. I do 40% W/C every week.. no dosing or anything like that. I didn't realize it's been THAT long since I updated this thread. All I have right now are some "Zoa" pics but I'll try to scrape the glass and get some update pics next week. For now check out these Zoas that are doing SO well....

Not sure what they are called... I'll have to email the seller and ask again
IMG_4750.jpg

IMG_4754.jpg

IMG_4755.jpg

and these I call "Daneil-sans" because I got them from Daniel and I don't remember the names.. :lol: Anywho... they are growing like CRAZY and look awesome! They look so much BETTER than the pic portrays...
IMG_4751.jpg

IMG_4752.jpg

IMG_4753.jpg

That's it for now. Thanks for reading... see yall again in 14 months... :LOL:

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Here are a couple shots of "Mater" hosting in the Xenia.... (Terrible quality but pics none the less)
IMG_4762.jpg

IMG_4763.jpg

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Here are some same ole same ole shots..

My Red Zoas stretching their legs/stalks first thing in the morning.. shorly after the lights came on
IMG_4788.jpg

IMG_4789.jpg

and here they are capturing some Mysis as it feel to them while feeding the tank
IMG_4790.jpg

IMG_4791.jpg

IMG_4792.jpg

and here is my Leather opened WAY up and feeding like crazy

IMG_4794.jpg

IMG_4795.jpg

IMG_4793.jpg

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Here is "Mater" (Tomato Clown) really getting "Close & Personal" with one of my Xenia stalks

vdituri

That poor clown.
Doesn't he realize that relationship will never work out?
They're from different sides of the tidal pool. :)

Grasspicker

Gonna tag a long on this one. I would consider a small tank for my office too. It looks like you have had great luck with progress.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Thanks GrassPicker! I've been VERY lucky in many respects. Honestly I don't think it would be HALF that tank it is without the help of the members here at RS!!!

:)

Grasspicker

So how is the tank today Al. It seems like its been a while since a post. I would love to see the progress. Its also good to hear that you have had a lot of advice with your build. Im looking forward to hearing from folks about our project as well.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
My tank is doing great! It's basically on Auto Pilot for the most part.

I top-off with water 2x a week (little evaopration)
I change the sponge filter out 1x week
I feed on Mon-Wed-Friday

I do a 20% water change every other week and at that time I scrape and clean.

Other than the above I just sit here and look at it for 9-11 hours a day 5 days a week. I find once it's set up and stabilized the less I touch it the better off it is!!

Thanks for droppin in.