JFK_Jr's 150 Gallon Starphire

JFK_Jr

PREMIUM
PS - If I was you I would have some graphic here, but I'm not so that is as creative as you get.

dstrokes_8001.jpg

rmlevasseur

You can use that kind of sand??? Isn't it kinda high on the silicates/phosphates? Do you vaccum it regularly? Is it mixed with anything?

It apparently works great for you. Would you change it given the option? Do you remember how much you needed for a 150 if I go that route? How deep do you keep your sand bed? Can I be any more annoying? :)

JFK_Jr

PREMIUM
You can use that kind of sand??? Isn't it kinda high on the silicates/phosphates? Do you vaccum it regularly? Is it mixed with anything?

It apparently works great for you. Would you change it given the option? Do you remember how much you needed for a 150 if I go that route? How deep do you keep your sand bed? Can I be any more annoying? :)

You have to be carefull when choosing sand as there are some that are sold at HD and Lowes that are not suitable and have the negative traits that you mention above.

The one I'm using is completely "natural" and works perfectly. I had about a 3" bed, but my pistol shrimp didn't seem to agree with me and he arranged it to his liking..

I do not vacum... stir the top occasionally to keep it groomed.

I love my sand bed... it is full of keyhole limpets and I also keep nassarius snails that bury in it. Many moons ago I had a reef with crushed coral... what a mistake that was. Now that's a detrius trapper and nitrate factory.

And you are not annoying... :)

I enjoy sharing what I know with others... :thumbup:

JFK_Jr

PREMIUM
Don't know if it's going to make a difference or not, but I just ordered a 192 watt PFO retrofit PC kit for my reef.

I currently have 942 watts and have seen spectacular growth over the past year. This upgrade will bring me up to 1134 watts. I'll be adding some more 7200k blue bulbs.

Maybe it's cause I have the space and not much left to tinker or add to my system? :dunno:

We'll see... I'll keep everyone updated on the impact... if any... on my reef.

PFO_pc_retro.JPG

I received my PFO PC retrofit kit and added it to my current lighting. I added 2 96 watt 7200K bulbs to give me a total wattage of 1134W. Definitely makes a difference visually... let's see if it does anything to my corals.

BTW... I'm very impressed with the quality of PFO products... the dual ballasts come in a really nice (solid) enclosure with dual switches. The cables are also top notch... :thumbup:

DSC01555.jpg

Techno-Vicki

Your monties are beautiful and I have read that when you frag them on the same rock next to each other, they grow faster? What are your thoughts? I have a frag from prow and soon I hope to frag his red with my green. I think I will also frag two of my greens to get a comparison on what I have read. Great job with your pics, fishes, corals and tank!

JFK_Jr

PREMIUM
Your monties are beautiful and I have read that when you frag them on the same rock next to each other, they grow faster? What are your thoughts? I have a frag from prow and soon I hope to frag his red with my green. I think I will also frag two of my greens to get a comparison on what I have read. Great job with your pics, fishes, corals and tank!

Thanks Vicki... :thumbup:

I've never heard that before... :dunno:

Make sure you document your green cap frags... I'd be interested in seeing if there is something to that claim.

If you look at my last FTS, you can see several orange cap frags all over my tank. They seem to do well anywhere I place them as long as they get direct light and good indirect flow. Give them good light, flow and provide an adequate supply of calcium and they will do fine.

michael_cb_125

Ypur tank is one of the best looking tanks I have seen in a while. I hope that mine will look half as good. I have your Name on my top reef GODS list!!:)
~Michael

framerguy

Jr., you have my favorite tank on RS! I just love it. (no offense to all the other awsome ones) I've got a long way to go.

rmlevasseur

Well I went to Lowes and Home Depot and no Bonsai American natural sand. They must have discontinued it? I can also find no referance to it on the net either.

ReefGuy69

Yeah JFK you do have the best tank on RS. I basically used it to show my wife so she would let me get back into the hobby. Whenever she says lets look at pictures of tanks. I always go to yours. She always asks will ours look like that one day and i always say i hope so... i hope so.. Sorry to get mushy at the end there.

JFK_Jr

PREMIUM
Thanks everyone for the nice comments about my reef... it really is motivating to hear...:thumbup:

Here's my FTS for today... My corraline had started to take hold again, so I did a little scraping to get it back to pristine looking condition.

DSC01581.jpg

tbittner

Hey JFK. If it's ok with you, I'd like to copy the link to this picture over to my chronicle and tell everyone "Here is my latest FTS. I've had some fantastic growth over the past few weeks."

Is that ok??? :lol:

mps9506

Is that last pic with the new PC actinics? They really make a difference, colors seem to pop more in the photo.