JFK_Jr's 150 Gallon Starphire

JFK_Jr

PREMIUM
Just got my tank delivered today!!! Yeah Baby!!!

Custom 150 Gallon 72"x18"x29" Starphire tank single overflow in center.(Starphire front and side panels) Custom stand and raised canopy.

My system's filtration is by Lifereef.

LF1-150 Lifereef Berlin System with a VS2-24 external protein skimmer,
BlueLine water pump 30 hdx for skimmer, BlueLine water pump 40 hdx for system. For circulation: 3 maxijet 1200 on a wavemaker.

LCR1 Lifereef Calcium Reactor with 10lb CO2 set up.

AquaZone Deluxe 100 - 100 mg/hr Ozonizer/Controller plus ORP Probe and 250cc Air Drier.

I also have a Hamilton retrofit lighting system 72inch 3x25OW 1OK MH with electronic ballasts and 2x96 watt PC with Electronic Ballasts. Also a set of dimmable moonlights. Four 5" speed adjustable fans mounted in the canopy.

Everything controlled by Digital Aquatics "Reefkeepr 2" controller with PH probe and two expansion sockets.

For backup: TRIPP LITE POWERVERTER APS 750 POWER INVERTER 750W 2OUT 12VDC-120V with double 12V DEEP CYCLE MARINE BATTERIES. I wanted a generator for my bacony... but my condo said absolutely NOT! Something about burning the building down... can you believe that... LOL

In case of a long term power outage... like during hurricane Wilma, I've got a battery charger in my office at the hospital where I can re-charge my marine batteries. Thank God for my job!!!

I'll be logging my adventures here... so stay tuned!

Jay:whstlr:

DSCN0442.JPG

Last edited:

JFK_Jr

PREMIUM
Thanks... I'm so excited I don't know what to do with myself:whstlr:

I think I'll call in sick tomorrow!!!

R.yumaDaddy?

arrrgghhh... you lucky sob:)
Thats an awesome setup. Love the cabinet. Are you going sps, lps, softies, mix? Can't wait to see what you create. Good luck.

Gina

RS STAFF
Beautiful set up!
Are you going to put anything under it to protect the floor?
Looking forward to it's progress.
It's always exciting when someone sets up a new system. I would call in sick too!

Dragon Wrasse

Outstanding setup!!
becareful about using natural sea water, your tank is allot smaller water column then the ocean and the pollutants may affect your water quality especally over time.

Charlie97L

Dragon Wrasse said:
Outstanding setup!!
becareful about using natural sea water, your tank is allot smaller water column then the ocean and the pollutants may affect your water quality especally over time.

ditto, there are some good threads about using it here and on nano-reef.com and the consensus is it needs to be filtered first if collected near the shore, or collected out at sea. you can't just walk down to the beach and bucket it up from the shoreline, at least in the US anyway, that stuff has some nasty parameters and other stuff in it.

JFK_Jr

PREMIUM
Well... finally got my live rock cycling my tank.:whstlr:

I just ordered a Tunze stream with magnet holder from myreefcreations. I also ordered the new Algae free magnet holders for my Maxijet 1200's... the suction cups really don't work that well.

I went snorkeling at my friend's place in Key Largo. Tons of hermit crabs and snails... will go back once my tank cycles. Florida law prohibits removing live rock but it's OK to collect snails and hermit crabs.

Dscn0457.jpg

Last edited:

JFK_Jr

PREMIUM
boozeman said:
nice rock !!!!

:winner:

I used mostly rock from Haiti 170lbs for the base (I liked the shapes)... but I also went on a scavenger hunt to my LFS's and picked up a piece here and there of the best rock they had.

I'm on a quest to have a Kick A** reef... so I've been taking my time to get it just right.

I've gotten a lot of great info from Reef Sanctuary... nice to be part of this community.:dance:

JFK_Jr

PREMIUM
Charlie97L said:
what did you decide about the water?

After the concerns brought up by some members, I did a little more reading and decided to go with IO Reef Crystals.

My total water volume is about 190 gallons... It would have meant close to 20 trips back and forth to the beach to collect the natural seawater. I purchased a good R/O de-ionization unit and mixed my water in comfort... skipping the back breaking work.

Although, I will be using live sand that I will personally collect, as soon as my tank completely cycles.

JFK_Jr

PREMIUM
pirataman said:
Nice looking rock!! great color!!! are you going for acros!!

Thanks... lost some color during the cycling process, but it's coming back nicely.

My goal is to showcase a little of everything:thumbup:

Dscn0457.jpg