Shaun's 2000 Litre (530 USG) Living Reef & Red Sea Max S 650 LED Design & Build

SPR

Thanks Glenn, nice video.

I’ve read them all already including Randy’s simple version and that’s why my head was hurting lol!

I’ve been testing the Alkalinity over the last few days and it’s back to normal after adding some more Red Sea Foundation B, albeit a little high at 8.9 dKH. For one moment after the last test I felt like I had started chasing numbers again, but stopped myself because that level is fine.

I’m going away to walk around the Amalfi coast next week so wanted to ensure the Alkalinity was higher rather than lower.

I’ve also had to clean the Apex salinity probe and recalibrate it after it was reading 48! I think it basically needs cleaning/wiping ever 3 months or so to remove any build ups. It’s very easy though.

Last edited:

SPR

I changed over the main pump to my spare about 10 days ago and also removed the rear circulation vents and again put in the spare set.

I then dropped the whole lot including the dismantled pump into a bowl of citric acid were it’s been soaking for about 10 days.

The circulation vents were covered in coralline algae and after soaking it just wiped off with no effort.

I’ve also used vinegar but the citric acid seems to be better. I get it in powder form and then just add some water and leave it.

IMG_2111.JPG

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nobbygas

Have you finished yomping on the Gandalf Coast on your Lord of the Rings Tour yet? Was the tank ok on your return?

Last edited:
Reactions: SPR

SPR

No I’m still there at the moment and just waiting to fly back

It’s a very beautiful place indeed and below is a photograph of Positano from our yacht (ok ferry lol!!)

7516820496_IMG_1748.JPG

And below is a photograph I took of the Terrace Of Infinity at Ravello

IMG_1092.JPG

The weather wasn’t brilliant on the day, and I was actually shocked at how well this photograph turned out.

Last edited:

SPR

I wonder if there is a relationship between a protein skimmer and paint vapour.

Because my painter painted the room yesterday, with the tank completely covered in plastic sheet with the lights off, and later that evening the skimmer went crazy!

There is the normal slight smell of paint in the room although the windows were open but talk about sensitivity....

SPR

I’ve been away for a while on an adventure holiday walking around the Amalfi coast in Italy were we walked around 11km every day up and down mountains. 1 day we descended from our hotel into Amalfi which involved 3000 steps!

We also climbed up mount Vesuvius to the crater, and visited Pompei and Herculaneum

Here are a few shots

This is Positano

7516820496_IMG_1706.JPG7516820496_IMG_1698.JPG

This is Amalfi from the mountains

7583930640_IMG_1987.JPG

This is Amalfi from the sea

7516806976_IMG_1354.JPG

This was us at the top of mount Vesuvius!

7516806976_IMG_1612.JPG

Nobbygas

Any pictures of you running down the mountain with a look of abject terror on your face when the Volcano erupted?

SPR

Any pictures of you running down the mountain with a look of abject terror on your face when the Volcano erupted?
Not as such...

I might have been expecting to much, but I sort of thought I might see some molten lava or hissing steam but it was just rock. Probably a good thing really otherwise I might have been running back down as you suggest!

SPR

So then, who do you think has been eating my green star polyps in the centre of my tank that I’ve had since I started!

The accused......

7518881088_IMG_1239.JPG

Now getting really stuck in...

7518881088_IMG_1247.JPG

And what’s left! Little sh..! But such a pretty face...

7518866928_IMG_2128.JPG

Pancho75

So then, who do you think has been eating my green star polyps in the centre of my tank that I’ve had since I started!

The accused......

View attachment 48438

Now getting really stuck in...

View attachment 48439

And what’s left! Little sh..! But such a pretty face...

View attachment 48440

I think he believes you are such a good owner that anything you place inside the tank is in the menu... lol

Be careful also with the linkia starfishes as they often eat green star polyps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SPR

Here’s a picture of the sea cucumber that I put in the tank over 12 months ago, and it’s grown ‘a little’!

I was wondering why the Coral at the side of it (the green shiny one! lol) had moved. It’s because the sea cucumber was hiding under it. Well until I moved it!

7518866928_IMG_2114.JPG

Making its escape.....

7518866928_IMG_2116.JPG

SPR

And here is an up to date full tank shot

Note something’s been eating my torch corals, and is currently half way through the large one at the middle back! I’ve seen the Chevron Tang pecking around it the little sh..! Lol

7518866928_IMG_2130.JPG

Nobbygas

I can see a lot of Asterina Starfish on your back wall. You'd better start picking them out, or get a Harlequin Shrimp to eat them. Off you go, don't hang about !
Some Asterina's are harmless, but some are coral munchers.

SPR

I can see a lot of Asterina Starfish on your back wall. You'd better start picking them out, or get a Harlequin Shrimp to eat them. Off you go, don't hang about !
Some Asterina's are harmless, but some are coral munchers.
I know I’ve been watching them and thinking about the Harlequin shrimp already, but I think it will eat my little red star fish as well which is why I haven’t got one yet.

I’m wondering if that’s what’s been eating the torch corals, all 3 of them so far, although I’ve seen the Chevron Tang picking around but he may have just been getting algae, not that there is any.