Red Sea max 130/130D rimless mod

Eyehateyou

I'm not sure if that helps or not!!

All we need to know simply if the rim is designed to add any kind of support to tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Big Pete

yeh I know what you mean buts its all I could come up with, I would assume if its cosmetic then it would not and does not impact on the structural integrity of the tank.

I want to do it as I think it will make the tank look a lot better, I just don't have the balls.

Eyehateyou

Ok guys..
I now have my Red Sea reefer all set up.

So, I attempted the rimless mod on my old and now empty rsm130d...

My advice to anyone thinking about doing this mod.... Simply - do not do it!

It I really struggled to get the rim off!! I used a saw,Dremel,claw hammer,razor blades.. - also bare in mind that the tank was on the floor while I was attempting to do this .

Just don't attempt it.

Anyway reefer are mint!

Eyehateyou

4b9fde3b840836346b61f2d39a33470b.jpg

Big Pete

Eyehateyou the reefer looks great well done.

I did the rimless mod and it took a bit of doing but I was successful in the end.

Steve Lane

please don't use a dremel, the vibration alone is enough to crack the glass, use a hack saw with a fine blade and go slow, really slow.
does everyone involved in this have rsm 130's or are there any 250 owners interested in this as my tank is a 250.
I`m interested in this mod so`s I can sling my new LEDs over the tank. does the canopy come off easily?

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
If your asking about the stock hood/canopy - the stock hood removes with two pins, a 30 second task one person can do - very simple.

DaveK

I know a lot of people make these mods to remove the top rim of a tank. Yes, they can be done but I don't recommend doing them.

They can make the tank a bit nicer, but that top rim also has a function of protecting the top edge of the tank. Without the top rim, anything striking the top rim has a much greater chance of breaking the tank.

I had just that happen to me with a rimless 10 gal tank. Drained the tank in record time.

The other point is that your going to look at what is in the tank. Not too many people watch tank rims on a regular basis.

Big Pete

Hi DaveK
a point well made, I have been super careful around the tank since I did this mod but to be honest its as protected as the new Reefer series of tanks from Red Sea, I am sure you will need to be careful around them too.

Eyehateyou

If your asking about the stock hood/canopy - the stock hood removes with two pins, a 30 second task one person can do - very simple.

That is not what this thread is about....

This thread is about the removal of the RIM - to make the aquarium RIMLESS.

Anyone with a rsm130 /130d/250 should understand that removing the hood is a very simple process.,

Steve Lane

please don't use a dremel, the vibration alone is enough to crack the glass, use a hack saw with a fine blade and go slow, really slow.
does everyone involved in this have rsm 130's or are there any 250 owners interested in this as my tank is a 250.
Yes, I have the 250 and would be interested in this.......now I have the canopy removed. :scuba:

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
My reply was to RS member Steve Lane's question above... guess I should a have quoted him along with my reply...

I`m interested in this mod so`s I can sling my new LEDs over the tank. does the canopy come off easily?

as Steve pointed out ^ ;) :clink:

Big Pete

Hi Steve

As a fellow Brit if you need any assistance then just let me know.

Now the big question Red or Blue!!!!!