Wolffman64's RSM500

sirrealism

I went through Ich about 4 months ago and lost 6 fish. Thats why I now have a 55g qt tank. No fish will go into my 300g with out first going through my QT. Can you imagine trying to catch a tang in an 8' 300g tank. Not going to happen. I tried the over the counter intank stuff but it did not work. Believe it or not I have never heard of the peroxide for Ich before. I will have to do some reading on that. Maybe I could have saved at least some of them. Lost a red sea sailfin tang, PBT,blue hippo, kole tang, harliquin tusk, and a angle. Only thing that made it was a yellow tang and a yellow watchman and they are still in QT wile I let the tank site fallow. Yes its been long enough but I am in no rush since they will both end up in my 300.
I know the baking soda sounds crazy but it does work and its all I have used for quite some time And I have lots of SPS so I go through a lot
I 2 have clams 4 of them to be exact 2 that are larger then "american" footballs. They are fantastic. Your going to love having one.

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
I can't agree with you more about the clams! In my opinion they would easily have to be the best addition a reef tank can get!!
Also if you want to run with the baking soda and such dosing supplements, have a look at 100% Reef Safe, they sell 1kg bags of alk, ca and mg (you need to get both types of mg though and mix it half-hlaf so you don't get a build up of the ions the Mg is attached too) and it's dirt cheap and guaranteed to be pure stuff as Pete is pretty good with that sort of thing! Better than buying it from the supermarket and having to check it all out :)

Wolffman64

I can't agree with you more about the clams! In my opinion they would easily have to be the best addition a reef tank can get!!
Also if you want to run with the baking soda and such dosing supplements, have a look at 100% Reef Safe, they sell 1kg bags of alk, ca and mg (you need to get both types of mg though and mix it half-hlaf so you don't get a build up of the ions the Mg is attached too) and it's dirt cheap and guaranteed to be pure stuff as Pete is pretty good with that sort of thing! Better than buying it from the supermarket and having to check it all out :)

I checked it out, and it sure is cheap! Have you dosed with their alk stuff, and if so, how do you do it?

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
I checked it out, and it sure is cheap! Have you dosed with their alk stuff, and if so, how do you do it?

Yes and I know a heap that still do! :) They have instructions that come with it when you buy it or if you look up randy's recipe you'll find it all there :) It's pretty straight forward, you dissolve the give powder in the right quantity with water and dose it that way :) I'm now using Fauna Marin balling light but the Randy's recipe works really well as well!

GregT

Just checked out the 100% Reefsafe site as per Wrangy's post. For the foundation supplements I can't see how you can go wrong with their bicarbonate and Ca supplements. Prices are great compared to NZ.
We pay at least $75 for a Blue Linkia.

Oxylebius

So, what ever happened with your cardinal that was carrying eggs? I know you left on vacation, so when you got back was all said and done and the fry were gone? Will they now continue have cycles of egg carrying? Both of my shrimp are none stop carrying eggs, releasing larvae, fertilizing each others eggs again, and carrying more eggs. It is a none stop cycle. Free food!

Wolffman64

So, what ever happened with your cardinal that was carrying eggs? I know you left on vacation, so when you got back was all said and done and the fry were gone? Will they now continue have cycles of egg carrying? Both of my shrimp are none stop carrying eggs, releasing larvae, fertilizing each others eggs again, and carrying more eggs. It is a none stop cycle. Free food!

The Cardinals have just gone through another spawning cycle, with the male carrying fry for two weeks (at least) again. So far I haven't seen any fry at all, so the male has either swallowed them himself (which I don't think he has), or the rest of the tank has received some live food (more likely..)

Awesome with your cleaner shrimp spawning! I really would love a new pair now that the Coris Wrasse is gone, but they are so pricey here ($150 -$200 per shrimp), so I'll have to wait a while

Wolffman64

Just checked out the 100% Reefsafe site as per Wrangy's post. For the foundation supplements I can't see how you can go wrong with their bicarbonate and Ca supplements. Prices are great compared to NZ.
We pay at least $75 for a Blue Linkia.

Cheers mate (or should it be Cheers Bro ;-) ), I ordered a total of 11KG and it was delivered last week. My wife was a bit worried when I opened the package, and all she could see was 6 bags of fine white powder, and a Chupa Chop lollipop on top (special present from the supplier) didn't make it any better.... :LOL:

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Haha that's excellent :laughroll I do love the chuppa-chupp that Pete always puts with orders haha

GregT

Cheers mate (or should it be Cheers Bro ;-) ), I ordered a total of 11KG and it was delivered last week. My wife was a bit worried when I opened the package, and all she could see was 6 bags of fine white powder, and a Chupa Chop lollipop on top (special present from the supplier) didn't make it any better.... :LOL:

LOL yes it's bro! It looks like an episode of Breaking Bad when I'm in the kitchen baking the baking soda

Wolffman64

LOL yes it's bro! It looks like an episode of Breaking Bad when I'm in the kitchen baking the baking soda

Hahaha, and then when people walk out into my garage and see the 100l, 2x60l and 8x25l water and mixing station, they are convinced it's breaking bad!

Oxylebius

Awesome with your cleaner shrimp spawning! I really would love a new pair now that the Coris Wrasse is gone, but they are so pricey here ($150 -$200 per shrimp), so I'll have to wait a while

Whoa! That is really a crazy price for a shrimp!

Wolffman64

You would have thought that the 1 year anniversary of my Tank (and my 50th birthday), would have been a good time for the tank, but unfortunately not so....

Two weeks ago, when I was going to take some nice pics of my growing corals (especially SPS), to update the tank journal with, I saw small white tips on one of my Acro's, that didn't look like growth tips any more. Since then, 6 of my SPS frags that had been growing like crazy, all of a sudden started to bleach and lose all tissue and die!! This has also started to happen to 3 of my big SPS (can't remember names) that I have had for close to 9 months and that also have been growing a lot.

To make this completely baffling for me, is that it hasn't affected all my tank (at least not yet), since other Acro's, Pocilloporas (can't spell it..), all my LPS, my clam, the fish etc all are doing great?!?!?

All water parameters (Mg, Alk, Ca) are were they should be and usually are. The only thing I have changed is that I have started to use my dosing pumps instead of manually dosing Ca and Alk, and have made sure that the Alk is staying around 7.5 even between water changes (it used to drop down to 6 between WC). Could that be the culprit??

I have also done several extra WC's (did a 45% last week, over 3 days), in desperation to try and fix whatever it is. The Nitrate was creeping up towards 1 before the WC's (which is a bit higher than I normally have), and the Phosphate is below 0.32, where it usually is.

Please help, I have no idea what to do now, apart from looking on as all my loved SPS are dying.

HELP!!