Wolffman64's RSM500

Wolffman64

Hi All!
My name is Jan, Swedish born but moved to Sydney 3 years ago from London, UK.
I had freshwater cichlid tanks for many years when I was younger, but always wanted to get into the wonderful world of marine tanks, especially after I started scuba diving in 1997, and got even more fascinated by marine life.
I got my first marine tank in February 2012, an RSM250, which has given me lots of joy and many periods of “why is this happening”. It was a very steep learning curve.
Picture of my current RSM 250 below:

9594562689_b2f1faaf2a_m.jpg

When I started the 250, the owner of my LFS told me that I will get bitten by the SW bug, will overstock my tank, and would like to move on to more advanced setups. I laughed and complimented him on his sales techniques. So, 1 year later (March 2013), I was really bitten by the SW bug, fascinated by corals, wanted to get into a more advanced/flexible setup, and was running out of space in the tank. All of this to my wife’s great “despair”. Exactly what my LFS told me. Bugger… :yup:

About 6 weeks ago, we bought our first house here in Sydney, and with a lot more space than before. I started telling my wife “in passing” (about 3 times a day…) that the 250 “would look awfully small in the new house”, not expecting her to really agree to anything. All of a sudden, 3 weeks ago, my wife agreed to me getting a new tank (still having sleepless nights about what the payback will be..), and with all the research I had done since March, decided to buy a RSM500.

I joined RS a couple of weeks ago, and was amazed at all the great info in the forums in here, especially threads like David Shaw’s RSM500 thread. David has also been very helpful in sending me heaps of good info and tips/tricks with the tanks, and gave me the inspiration to start a thread in here about my RSM500 journey, hoping that it will inspire and help somebody else in the future to avoid my mistakes.
I have bought the tank, and brought home with me all the parts required to build the stand, so that when we get the keys to the house on the 13th of September, I can take delivery of the rest of the tank the same day, and get the delivery guys to lift it into place straight away on the pre-built stand.

Last week I built the stand all the way to the point where I can just load it into my car, take it to the house and position it where I want the tank, and wait for the delivery of the tank itself. All I can say of the assembly process so far is: Thank You Red Sea for the youtube videos! Even though I grew up with IKEA and their “interesting” assembly instructions, the RSM500 instructions would not have been enough. David, you must have had soooo much fun when you assembled you worldwide first RSM500 without even the manuals!!!
Pictures below shows the stages of building the stand so far, and the comparison in size with my current tank:

I have made the decision that I will break down my current tank and move it and set it up as is in the new house, and run it in parallel to setting up the new tank. I have decided to take it really slow and learning from my mistakes from last time, and get the tank to cycle and mature before I move corals and fish over from my old system.
Now I’m impatiently waiting for the 13th to arrive (2.5 longest weeks in my life) so that I can finish the tank build and really get cracking with my new tank (in parallel with the slight “disturbance” of moving a whole house with wife and two kids, just a minor distraction ;-))

I will get back with more updates (if anybody will be interested) when the tank arrives in the new place.

Wolffman64

Ok, testing for the last time before I give up my thread (that people are reading but not responding to so far...)

These are the photos of my current tank:

IMG_1264_zps35f7bb90.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_1265_zps395c721f.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_1266_zpsf219cb71.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_1267_zps5a920ced.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Wolffman64

And now that I have finally figured out how to post pics (have only worked in the IT industry for 25 years....), here are the build pics from the new tank RSM500:

DSC_3441_zpsb53f50fa.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
DSC_3444_zps5f74ebd8.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
DSC_3447_zpsaa1a4dd6.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
DSC_3448_zps4a19a1a9.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
DSC_3449_zps8b311b91.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

And this is it all packed and ready to go for the 13th:

DSC_3451_zps88ad4536.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Wolffman64

wow great looking tank!

Thanks! Was a bit nervous about posting pics here of my tank, after seeing all the great tanks in other threads. I've only had it for 18 months and it's my first SW tank, so have made a couple of mistakes along the way :dunce:

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Looks good! Congrats on the new house and new tank! My wife and I just moved into our new house that we had built. Moved our RSM250 from the old house and set it up. It was a ton of work but glad it is over. Do you have a plan for moving all of your water, corals and livestock?

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
I'm excited for you Jan, super nice UPgrade, Congrats on your RSM 500!
I'm going to sit back and enjoy your progress, glad to read that you know SLOW works best!
As for me, I tried BIGGER 18 years ago & I'm satisfied w/my RSM 250 & less WC to mix up so I never dread it.
I'll just enjoy your build....EXCITING :chair::lurk:

Wolffman64

Looks good! Congrats on the new house and new tank! My wife and I just moved into our new house that we had built. Moved our RSM250 from the old house and set it up. It was a ton of work but glad it is over. Do you have a plan for moving all of your water, corals and livestock?

Thanks, am very excited about it all.

Yep, I have a plan (sounds like famous last words, since I have never done this before) for moving my 250 to the new house. In theory very simple:
1) Break down the tank and move all fish, corals and live rocks into several water filled Styrofoam and large plastic tubs.
2) move all filter media into water filled containers.
3) Remove and wash the substrate.
4) Drain tank completely.
5) Load up cars with everything and drive to new house (only a 30 minutes careful drive with my precious cargo)
6) Position and hook up tank
7) Fill up with some pre-mixed sw (mixed and ready from night before)
8) Put some of the clean substrate back into tank (don't want it all since I don't want a deep sandbed again)
9) Rockscaping with LR
10) Fill up with SW
11) put all filtermedia back into tank and run all the pumps etc
12) Test and adjust water quality
13) Place corals back into tank
14) Acclimatize fish and put back in tank
15) Have a very large drink, before I ask my support crew to drive the wreck (me) back to the old place.

Any comments/suggestions/stern telling-offs greatly appreciated, since you have done this journey, and I never have.

Wolffman64

Thanks Diana. Two very exciting projects (move of old 250, and setup of new 500), both with very little or no previous experience. Just worried that I'm setting myself up to fail or have a heart attack :surrender:

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Thanks, am very excited about it all.

Yep, I have a plan (sounds like famous last words, since I have never done this before) for moving my 250 to the new house. In theory very simple:
1) Break down the tank and move all fish, corals and live rocks into several water filled Styrofoam and large plastic tubs.
2) move all filter media into water filled containers.
3) Remove and wash the substrate.
4) Drain tank completely.
5) Load up cars with everything and drive to new house (only a 30 minutes careful drive with my precious cargo)
6) Position and hook up tank
7) Fill up with some pre-mixed sw (mixed and ready from night before)
8) Put some of the clean substrate back into tank (don't want it all since I don't want a deep sandbed again)
9) Rockscaping with LR
10) Fill up with SW
11) put all filtermedia back into tank and run all the pumps etc
12) Test and adjust water quality
13) Place corals back into tank
14) Acclimatize fish and put back in tank
15) Have a very large drink, before I ask my support crew to drive the wreck (me) back to the old place.

Any comments/suggestions/stern telling-offs greatly appreciated, since you have done this journey, and I never have.

Sounds like a pretty solid plan and very similar to what I did. I didn't wash my old substrate, I just threw it out and bought new (non live). The one thing I found out was that it took many more containers than I expected. I had the guy from my LFS come over to help me and he had a lot of old salt containers that we used to put all the corals and water in. So keep in mind you will need a lot of containers, probably more than you think!! Also, you will need containers to hold your newly made SW.

Your plan looks solid, just get plenty of containers!!!

Wolffman64

Sounds like a pretty solid plan and very similar to what I did. I didn't wash my old substrate, I just threw it out and bought new (non live). The one thing I found out was that it took many more containers than I expected. I had the guy from my LFS come over to help me and he had a lot of old salt containers that we used to put all the corals and water in. So keep in mind you will need a lot of containers, probably more than you think!! Also, you will need containers to hold your newly made SW.

Your plan looks solid, just get plenty of containers!!!

Cheers!

I have a lot of containers stacked in my garage, will do another count this weekend. I have ordered a 200 litre drum for RO/DI water (in addition to 4 x 20 litre drums), and have a separate 150 litre mixing tub. Hope it will all be OK...

nivek

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
Awesome looking first tank and I'm pretty sure your second one will rock as well :)

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Thanks Diana. Two very exciting projects (move of old 250, and setup of new 500), both with very little or no previous experience. Just worried that I'm setting myself up to fail or have a heart attack :surrender:
YOU WILL DO FINE!! How can you NOT with all the help and support of this here awesome little forum of SW FISH FRIENDS???? :D

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
I would have posted some photos if I knew how to add pics to threads (have failed miserable so far in my own new RSM500 thread, with nobody answering my cries for help so far).

Hi Jan - upload a pic to photobucket & I will help you - once uploaded, right click on the pic & select, Copy image url

Paste that in here & I will male it appear ! :dance: Don't worry about any syntax error... once I see the url, I will show you what to do next time, once you get one, it's easy - feel free to PM me too, I will help !

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums...ay-post-pics-photobucket-nanoreefing4fun.html

Never mind... looks like you figured it out... beautiful fish & tank !

IMG_1265_zps395c721f.jpg