Am I ready for a 'nem?

lbiminiblue

I've been thinking about getting an anemone soon, probably something simple, like a condy. Does anyone have any suggestions for easy to medium to keep anemones for a tank that's almost a year old? It's a 120 gallon reef, 8x54 T5 bulbs with 10 deep blue LEDs and my corals are doing well for the most part under the new lights. Could this be too much for a nem to handle? What I don't want is a strong-stinging nem that may come in contact with a coral and kill it. Thing is, I know that condy's are strong stingers. What about a carpet anemone? Thanks.

reefguy

Yes candys are mean lol. I always don't recommend to place nem's in with corals for that reason. They will just move around the tank and If there is a coral in there way or where they would like to reside... They will just sting it to death:(

Carpets are harder to keep. They are also a fish catcher lol. I watched one that caught my friends cardinal. They are so sticky... It's like a glue trap for mice :/

If you still want one I would get a LTA or a BTA. All nem's sting I am not sure how bad the sting is but I know almost all of them can kill coral.

Just my 2 cents.

BLADEYAMAHA

I don't ever think anyone is ever truly prepared all the way for their first nem, IMO. Not all the way. You might go with a BTA, but they do roam. They like getting into your power heads and overflows and go anywhere they please. If I ever got another, I would have a dedicated tank for it. My 2 cents on the matter.

Blndbunny

I have found my bta very easy to care for, it roamed till it found a spot it liked, and has since cloned 7 times. I did lose one coral to having a nem, I also lost my two year old mandarin. If you have any slow moving perching type fish, I probably would avoid a nem

lbiminiblue

I don't ever think anyone is ever truly prepared all the way for their first nem, IMO. Not all the way. You might go with a BTA, but they do roam. They like getting into your power heads and overflows and go anywhere they please. If I ever got another, I would have a dedicated tank for it. My 2 cents on the matter.

not my first. I kept two condys successfully in my 55.

lbiminiblue

Being defensive will not be your friend on the matter.

just saying. I have SOME experience, but now that I hear that their favorite spots are hard to get on the first try, I think i'll steer clear, also don't want one eating a dragonet, if I ever get one.

whippetguy

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
I've been very happy with my rbta and find it's one of my favorite things in the tank. I put him where I thought he'd be happy and he moved around in that area for about a week and hasn't moved since. He seems to be very happy and my little male clown claims him.

Choff

I'm in the same boat. Want a nem. I'm leaning hard to an rbta, lta need a deep sand bed (4in min) . People have used pvc filled with sand, but I don't want to deal.

Sent using Tapatalk 2

lbiminiblue

I've been very happy with my rbta and find it's one of my favorite things in the tank. I put him where I thought he'd be happy and he moved around in that area for about a week and hasn't moved since. He seems to be very happy and my little male clown claims him.

easy to care for?

lbiminiblue

I'm in the same boat. Want a nem. I'm leaning hard to an rbta, lta need a deep sand bed (4in min) . People have used pvc filled with sand, but I don't want to deal.

Sent using Tapatalk 2

I have a DSB, How do they anchor themselves in sand?

jerry26

Ive had two or three bta's and two condys, all but one condy lost to powerheads. Id keep them covered until they settled and once i uncovered them the flow would change and theyd start moving again(one was unhealthy when i bought it and wouldnt attach to anything). IMO the bta's roamed alot more than the condys and i didnt find them any more attractive than condys. The two condys were significantly more aggressive eaters(theyll actually pull the food from my hand) which made them more fun to feed. This condy i have now also stayed put right where i dropped him for a few days then he moved out of the rocks and has stayed put and i thought for sure he was gonna keep moving. I personally prefer condys over bta's.

my favorite nem so far.
IMG_20130109_170512_733-1_zps641500fe.jpg

he used to be tucked back in the spot that is the top left corner of that pic. but like i said after a while he came out in plain sight and hasnt moved. my coral shrimp lives right next to him and its funny watching the cbs gettin brave and try to chase it off then run away without doing a thing. itll sit there on that purple rock you can barely see peekin into the pic and just stare at it like hes gonna do something, but he never does. its hilarious.

jerry26

Very easy to care for. I feed him every 3-5 days only because I enjoy it. I think he'd be fine with light only.

youve reminded me whippetguy, i think condys have a thing with losing their zoo algae so keep that in mind. i feed mine by hand because its fun so it doesnt bother me. plus condys are like half the price of bta's.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Reading these threads is helping me to figure out what I want to add to my RSM250 when it arrives & gets cycled.
Thanks for the anemone link Glenn...lots of good info there. I sure have lots to learn!

reefguy

Also If you are going to just do a nem tank then you are fine. Once it's been 8+ months add them with very little worry just watch the power heads and over flows. Them eating fish is rare. I would let them get settled and then I would add corals a few months later once you know they are in place. I have a tank that is off my main display that I setup just for one carpet and it's awesome no doubt but he has to be by himself and I don't have any nem's in my DT cause I can't afford for them to take out my beautiful Acans. :)

Happy Reefing!

lbiminiblue

Also If you are going to just do a nem tank then you are fine. Once it's been 8+ months add them with very little worry just watch the power heads and over flows. Them eating fish is rare. I would let them get settled and then I would add corals a few months later once you know they are in place. I have a tank that is off my main display that I setup just for one carpet and it's awesome no doubt but he has to be by himself and I don't have any nem's in my DT cause I can't afford for them to take out my beautiful Acans. :)

Happy Reefing!
well there's the thing. MY tank is reaching its 1 year mark, and not even half my corals, I'd say, are in place. So i'm kinda worried, but it'd probly be better to let the nem get settled in first right?