Blue tang in a small box.

carlfike

I see so many pictures of folks with blue Tangs in small ( less than 100g) tanks and I'm baffled. Correct me if I'm wrong but don't they grow to be like a foot? How do people manage to keep one in a smaller tank?

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
Good question. Id call them fish torturers.

......reefing. not for the faint of heart or spirit.

jpsika08

I think at some point movies like Jaws or Finding Nemo, to name a few, only put these animals in hazard :(

PIMPALA

because most people buy the fish at a very small size (ive seen them the size of a quarter in LFS here) and it takes literally YEARS for them to out grow even a 55G tank. a lot of people bounce in and out of this hobby every few years, and im sure many of the fish never even grow large enough to matter before they are sold or traded off.

redneckgearhead

because most people buy the fish at a very small size (ive seen them the size of a quarter in LFS here) and it takes literally YEARS for them to out grow even a 55G tank. a lot of people bounce in and out of this hobby every few years, and im sure many of the fish never even grow large enough to matter before they are sold or traded off.
I was so tempted to pick one of those lil guys up but I just couldn't do it. They were adorable though.

aquaman_06

If you referring to Atlantic Blue Tangs, the Caribbean Species - yeah they get pretty big. Schools of Blue Tangs are a blast to see underwater. Another important consideration with this species is the fact that they hail from the Caribbean Sea. Often, during summer months the Caribbean will experience warmer water temperatures than the South Pacific Sea. Many people mix Caribbean species with South Pacific species. I've always personally thought it was a bad idea. Caribbean fish have a different set of requirements.

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF

Excellent point Jason this fish takes about 7+ years to reach adult size, the problem is when keeping them in smaller tanks it does stunt their growth.

Henry C. shultz III:

Realistically speaking, the "minimum" environment for these fish is any aquarium the owner feels morally and ethically comfortable putting the fish into. Each hobbyist must come to his or her own conclusions, but hopefully these decisions are made only after reviewing the data that is readily available. ...

...or about the size of any of the commercially available 125-gallon aquariums. Hence, I would propose this is a good starting point as the absolute minimum aquarium size for any solitary individual. Let's not forget, however, two important factors. First, this fish only spends two months of the year in such a confined space. The remaining ten months of the year are spent cruising 30 feet above the reef, usually cruising up to 30 meters in one direction before reaching the edge of their territory...

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-03/hcs3/index.php

well if u have a baby tang like 1 inch by 1 inch and then when its bigger put it in a 200 gallon tank its not tourture but people do put it in to small tanks

DaveK

The trouble is that most of the people that put tangs into small tanks never get that bigger tang the fish needs. There is also some question about the amount of space even a small tang needs. Unless your prepared to keep the fish in it's more or less adult size, you shouldn't get it. Many of the usual SW fish can live for many years, especially with the types of systems and knowledge available today.

If they are well fed, small tangs can grow very quickly. It may not make full adult size, but it can easily become 4 inches in size in a couple of years.

lcstorc

It is cruel. Flat out cruel. Unless we are talking about a temporary QT or hospital tank. These fish swim miles a day in the wild. I feel ba keeping my Tomini (one of the smaller tangs) in my 6ft 125G tank.

jfourn

I have a yellow and a tomini and naso in 180 gallon.... Which is a good size tank so flame me if you want..... In my eyes no ones home tank can compete with the ocean ..... As long as your don't put 1 of the larger tangs(naso) in a 4ft tank ur all set.... Granted great water quality is a must.....and open rock work is a must anything is better then the 20 gallon if that at your lfs

Most people buy the tang small, so when you account for that, it is ok. I see people with a lot of different kinds of fish even small ones (anthias, mandarins, etc.) and have no idea what it takes to take care
of that specific fish. So you tell me whats worse?

redneckgearhead

Most people buy the tang small, so when you account for that, it is ok. I see people with a lot of different kinds of fish even small ones (anthias, mandarins, etc.) and have no idea what it takes to take care
of that specific fish. So you tell me whats worse?
Why do we have to pick one? How about both are cruel and wrong? As has been said in earlier posts although Some buy them small with plans of a bigger tank later more often than not life gets in the way of those plans and the fish lives a shortened life in a tank that's to small or the owner has to trade off the fish later which can be tough.

Jfourn why would anyone flame you?

jfourn

The largest naso on record is only 18" so average is probally around a foot..... But like I said as long as your rock layout is open

PIMPALA

personally, i think ANY fish in a home aquarium is too big of a fish in too small of a box.

but tough crap. lol