Tli rsm 500

Oxylebius

Great vid. Love the shark!

Did they say anything about the shark having any negative affects from the spines of the lionfish when it eats them? Curious.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Hi Tom - Great vids - you have me wanting to go visit, thinking about taking the wife for our anniversary - have never been there before - where did you stay?

I have been googling for an hour & reading about the island, thinking about booking the Buccaneer Resort near Christiansted - the 8 hours 2 stop flight from here does not sound too bad. Any tips, must see things or advise? Diving looks nice, I dive but the wife just snorkels !

DaddyTLi

Hi Tom - Great vids - you have me wanting to go visit, thinking about taking the wife for our anniversary - have never been there before - where did you stay?

I have been googling for an hour & reading about the island, thinking about booking the Buccaneer Resort near Christiansted - the 8 hours 2 stop flight from here does not sound too bad. Any tips, must see things or advise? Diving looks nice, I dive but the wife just snorkels !
Buccaneer is a wonderful hotel. It is expensive (250+). I stayed at Club Comanche Hotel. My son was down in St Croix on staff with http://worldoceanschool.org (#roseway) for a month, have been on staff with the organization for 7 months sailing from Boston down to PR and St Croix. He walked all over the neighborhood (Christiansted). Club Comanche is close to the shopping and restaurants/bars. Club Comanche main building (where the checkin office is located has restored rustic rooms like the "old" days with pine wood flooring and high off the floor king size bed. The bathroom is decently "modernized" with glass shower stall. The other building is closer to the boardwalk although you can not see the boardwalk directly. The second floor (room # in the 20s) has remodeled, modernized rooms. The duplex, on third floor (room # in the 30s) has two queen beds on top level and sofa bed on lower level has not be renovated lately (in the one we stayed in); but it is comfortable for the three of us. All rooms have A/C. We had the king room in the main building but asked for three beds which they accommodated with no extra fees, I don't know if it is because I used Expedia since everything is paid in advance. They were very gracious and willing to help. I think only one or two housekeeping staff. We were not in the room much, but when we return, it was cleaned. One other note, it is close to the boardwalk, so at night there are loud music and you can hear it from the room. Most bar/music seems to quite down past midnight.

I chose dive experience for scuba because my son fell they were more warm and welcoming. He took his Rescue Dive training with them while he was with us. He intends to be a scuba instructor someday. Dive Experience (divexp.com, https://www.facebook.com/Dive-Experience-159184831477), a 5 stars PADI dive shop, is on the boardwalk very close to the Club Comanche. We did not know this at first; but divexp records the second dive of morning trips. It makes a good memento (video links above). I assume you and your wife dive. If not, they have discover scuba, they'll train you in the water by Hotel on the Cay beach. The video on 19th shows a teenage boy who is doing discover scuba 2 tank dive with us. He saw all that we did at 40 ft (discover scuba depth limit). Sam, the Captain and Camera man, made sure everyone gets in the video and added a lot of good marine life.

As far as beaches, the closes is on Hotel Cay. You'll have to pay $5 to get across. Not sure if that is round trip fee or not. Another beach we hung around at is by the Renaissance St. Croix. You will need a car and it is away from Christiansted (20-30 mins drive). At one time, I saw Renaissance had rooms for under $100, but my son did not think we needed to rent a car. When we did finalized that it will be more beneficial to rent a car, the rooms rate went up again.

May I ask what anniversary is this for the two of you?

Hope this helps.

Tom

Last edited:

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Thanks Tom for the great info & reply - my wife snorkels, I have been diving since my early twenties - we only do "big" vacations once a year and this looks like a fun place - will check out dive exp for sure - on vacations I often hire a dive master to dive with me - I only dive a few times a year on vacations, love the ocean - I never dive the local lakes any more, even though Arkansas is one of the few states that allows spearfishing 1/2 the hook & line limit. Congrats on your son getting his Rescue certificate, my son dives too but got married recently and I don't get to dive with him as much any more.

Sure we will book Buccaneer, 7 days & flight, plus car is around 5-6k

DaddyTLi

Thanks Tom for the great info & reply - my wife snorkels, I have been diving since my early twenties - we only do "big" vacations once a year and this looks like a fun place - will check out dive exp for sure - on vacations I often hire a dive master to dive with me - I only dive a few times a year on vacations, love the ocean - I never dive the local lakes any more, even though Arkansas is one of the few states that allows spearfishing 1/2 the hook & line limit. Congrats on your son getting his Rescue certificate, my son dives too but got married recently and I don't get to dive with him as much any more.

Sure we will book Buccaneer, 7 days & flight, plus car is around 5-6k
Great!!, maybe your wife can do discover scuba and both of you can dive together. From what I experienced with divexp, they have a dive master with us taking us around, I did not expected it but is good to have someone who knows the area to show us where the colorful life are. That way I don't get lose.

Tom

DaddyTLi

I'm in the Queens area where the power is supplied underground into the house. The only time I have power outage is when ConEd equipment fails. So far just one major one I vaguely remember. This is before the tank.

DaddyTLi

Ok, it has been a while since I posted. Just a few weeks ago, I noticed the food were disappearing quick. It turns out that ants found my food dispenser on top of the tank. I removed the food source and manual feed now. I saw them on the floor and spread raid along the wall boards. They still patrol the edge of my tank. :( I've been killing them on top of the tank edge and now notice a smell. On the killing device (my fingers). They are RAID is not affecting them (must be an old bottle or they are used it). Now what's worrying me is how the RAID affected ants by my tank. How will those chemicals hurt the aqua life. Dumb me, I spread more RAID by the leg of the tank cabinets.

Ok, now is a mess. I'm getting real nervous because I want to get rid of the ants problem and keep my aqua life too. I've been reading where they like to nest, damp area... Under my tank on the floor board below? I had a few spills over the early years. I do see water stains on the basement sheetrock right under the tank area. I hope they are not carpenter ants eating away my support beams for the 500L tank. If so, it will be a bigger mess when my tank falls to the basement.

From my readings, I need to try bait and poison them. But seeing them patrol the edge of the tank and by the ATO entryway. I'm concern some will fall into the tank water (including the ATO chamber) and affect the aqua life. If not already by the amount of RAID I've used.

Any ideas? Trying to figure out where to post for help. Off topic looks like "off topic". This is related to aquariums and how to keep ants away from them.

I wish I can just have some simple post with "no worries".

Tom

mtsully71

WOW Tom that sucks, I guess if it was me I would contact a local exterminator and discuss with them your problem. On the flip side, you might want to check out the water stained sheet rock, it would take a lot of water (spills) IMO to get to the next level.....flooring, OSB, then sheetrock. Can you tell if there is any sagging where it is stained? Give it a poke, if its rotting you'll go right through it. Do you have water pipes nearby or sinks, toilets etc. For the time being you might use the sticky traps along there route until you figure out the possible nest issue.

GL

Sully

Oxylebius

Whoa! This sucks. Sorry to hear. I don't have any advice to offer, but to not spray around the tank any longer. Any way to bait them instead? I would post this in the general aquarium reef discussion section, you'd get more hits there then in the off-topic section. @nanoreefing4fun Glenn can help you figure out where to post at.

DaddyTLi

WOW Tom that sucks, I guess if it was me I would contact a local exterminator and discuss with them your problem. On the flip side, you might want to check out the water stained sheet rock, it would take a lot of water (spills) IMO to get to the next level.....flooring, OSB, then sheetrock. Can you tell if there is any sagging where it is stained? Give it a poke, if its rotting you'll go right through it. Do you have water pipes nearby or sinks, toilets etc. For the time being you might use the sticky traps along there route until you figure out the possible nest issue.

GL

Sully
Sheetrock is not saggy, just has stain. I route my skimmer cup out to an external flat container and it over skimmed one day causing flood on floor right down to basement. I was not home and water alarm kicked off. Well, lesson learned.

I need to get to Home Depot after work tomorrow.

Tom

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
general aquarium reef discussion section, you'd get more hits there then in the off-topic section.

That's a good idea ^

+3 bate trap
http://www.terro.com/faq#Pets

http://www.terro.com/indoor-baiting#Baiting

Q: What can you tell me about the active ingredient Borax to kill ants?

A: People are often surprised to learn that borax, a natural mineral found in many common household products such as hand soaps and toothpastes, is also the active ingredient found in TERRO®liquid and granular ant baits.

Borax has a low toxicity for people and animals, but ants are another story. When ants consume the borax bait, it interferes with their digestive system and gradually kills them. This slow kill allows time for the worker ants to consume the bait and head back to the nest to share with the rest of the colony and queen.

DaddyTLi

That's a good idea ^

+3 bate trap

A: People are often surprised to learn that borax, a natural mineral found in many common household products such as hand soaps and toothpastes, is also the active ingredient found in TERRO[emoji768]liquid and granular ant baits.

Borax has a low toxicity for people and animals, but ants are another story. When ants consume the borax bait, it interferes with their digestive system and gradually kills them. This slow kill allows time for the worker ants to consume the bait and head back to the nest to share with the rest of the colony and queen.
My wife mixed borax and sugar sprinkle side of tank. I vacuumed it up and sprayed RAID. Since it is slow acting, I think I'll some back down on the floor.

Thanks.

Tom

DaddyTLi

I'm seeing fewer ants. Wondering if they poison is working. I think RAID is surface coat that when they walk over chemical, they are coated to bring back to colony for ingestion and slow death.

Tom

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtsully71

That's a good idea ^

+3 bate trap

A: People are often surprised to learn that borax, a natural mineral found in many common household products such as hand soaps and toothpastes, is also the active ingredient found in TERRO®liquid and granular ant baits.

Great info Glenn, I am going to nuke 2 nests I have outside

DaddyTLi

Was changing the tank water. One of my budgie decided to take a dip. I did not see her until I return from emptying the bucket. Tank water was low enough for the flow pump slightly above water. The splashing sound attracted her. She was struggling on the corner in the front. I hurried and rescue her. Rinse her in water and nursed her. She was shivering and heart rate increased. It took her 1/2 hr to recover. I just sat there with bath towel drying her and letting her rest on my chest. I don't think she'll do that again.

Tom

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk