Tli rsm 500

David Shaw

This is new to me. I've seen hairy burgandy algae. what is this burgundy stuff? Is it harmful to a reef tank?

Tom

If you remove the nozzles and soak them in a citric acid water mix, within 30 minutes it will all be gone and looking good as new. You can get citric acid from eBay, amazon etc. It's cheap and does a great job.

Oxylebius

Awesome! Look at all those little eyes, very cute. So by now they should have hatched, what happened? Inquiring minds want updates.

DaddyTLi

Yeah. But the sad thing is by the time i got home from my business trip, they're all gone. My daughter reported to me as they disappeared. This past Wednesday see text me a video and said they're..... back.. more eggs. Yesterday i setup a 10 gal tank for the eggs. Because they were on the frag rack, i had to move the whole rack.

My hatchery is a 10 gal with fluval 206, airation stone and a eheim heater, with a 18" led. I'll remove the fluval when it gets close to hatch. I'm on day 5 now. At most 6 days.

DaddyTLi

I read that when their eyes turn silvery, they are about to hatch. I just turned off the Fluval and added an extra aeration tube, I do not have a second stone. Only 10 had silvery eyes there are still 60 or so with out silvery eyes.

Tom

LakeLivin

The one pic with the yellow arrow is definitely aiptasia so you will want to get rid of it before it takes over your tank. That stuff spreads fast...

DaddyTLi

Water change with tank cleaning and just realized my, just over a year, Jebao wp40 is dead. The controller had lights that i thought is running. But the impeller head is not turning. So... just purchased a Jebao rs15 on amazon.

BTW i love amex benefits. With auto extended warranty, i can get the replacement for nothing since the original purchase was juse over $90.

I really wanted to replace it with Grye. But that means i have to shead out another $200. So this will do untill i pay off the dive excursion i had with the family at grand cayman a couple of weeks ago. Yes. My son convinced me to get the gopro. I have to pay that off too. Video and pics to come.

Tom

Last edited:

DaddyTLi

Just a quick update. Received my Apex yesterday. Figuring out where to put it on my S500. I don't need the light control in the center but I want to keep the two power strip on the side of S500 drawer.

I have 1/3 hp chiller under the drawer area.

DaddyTLi

No full tank pic yet. Too self conscious. He is a pic I was going to post regarding the algae problem. The snails can't keep up. what type of algae is it? How do I control these?

Tom

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oxylebius

It looks like you have a snail going at it in the pic you posted - get more of those!

I'd pick up a variety of snails:
Astraea Turbo Snail (Astraea tecta)
Mexican Turbo Snail (Turbo fluctuosa)
Banded Trochus Snail (Trochus sp.)
Cerith Snail (Cerithium sp.)
Nerite Snail (Nerita sp.)

Keep on top of weekly water changes ~10%.
Vacuum gravel while doing water changes.

DaddyTLi

Here is an update. I'm looking for more turbos from the LFS. I like them better than mail order because 1. I can pick and choose 2. No shipping cost.

I was at the coral swap this past weekend and met @Paul B in person there. Because he has a book out, I think he is a celebrity.

I also picked up a few frags.