Tli rsm 500

DaddyTLi

Ok, my C-Skim 1800 die when I was trying to reset the lights in the basement thinking it was the breaker. Breakers not labeled. I switched the tank breaker (on/off) and the skimmer never restarted. This happen on Monday. I did not notice it until a day later that the skimmer was not functioning. I took apart the pump and discover the impeller magnetic part was "cracked" and a bit rust. The crack caused the magnetic part to expand and it was difficult for the pump to start up again. How did the impeller get to this point and still operated? I had the pump issue about a year ago. I waited a bit (not knowing the crack exist) and started it up again. I guess the magnetic was at a position where the "on/off" action caused the impeller to move again and has not stop since (until I on/off the breaker).

I ordered the replacement impeller from Red Sea on Wednesday, due to arrive on Tuesday. What a long wait. I wish I spent the over $40 for overnight, because the SPS coral started to bleach noticeably on Friday. On top of that I have new corals from the coral swap that are starting to look pale.

I added the air pump from my QT (taken down since the PJ die a few months ago), without the stone. I forgot I had one on the old QT tank which was cleaned for next use. The air pump was up on first floor, the QT with stone was in basement. Out of sight, out of mind. So it was just plain air tube with big bubbles. when the coral started to continue is bleaching after that effort, I searched online to see what else I can do and on one of the store selling air pump, I saw an air stone and it reminded me. Just added the stone today, so I'm getting lots of micro air bubbles now. I hope it will not be too late. I was kicking myself the tank is worth the expedite shipping. :(

Tom

Last edited:

DaddyTLi

Maxspect 15k arrived. Just installed it over the s500. The unit is very nice. Instructions did not mention removing the thin blue film wrap around certain portion of power grid and top of light unit.

Tom

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DaddyTLi

I installed an ORP probe a couple of days ago. No calibrating. It slowly moved up to 330 ish

DaddyTLi

So far, I've kept the Maxspect intensity to at most 65%, I will slowly increase as the coral are more adjusted to it. The Duncans are FULLY retracted. Are the lights too strong?

Tom

Oxylebius

Where are your duncans located. Mine are in medium low light and are happy (near the sand bed, but on the rocks).

DaddyTLi

Where are your duncans located. Mine are in medium low light and are happy (near the sand bed, but on the rocks).
The new one is on top. The old one has not been moved, still on the bottom.

Tom

Last edited:

Oxylebius

If the duncan is on top is new, it sounds like it might not have acclimated well to the lightening. Easy fix, bring it down in the tank and let it acclimate a week or so before slowly moving it up higher. It also might not like the brightness of your lights, but I don't have LEDs and so I can't comment on if 65% is too bright for it or not.

DaddyTLi

If the duncan is on top is new, it sounds like it might not have acclimated well to the lightening. Easy fix, bring it down in the tank and let it acclimate a week or so before slowly moving it up higher. It also might not like the brightness of your lights, but I don't have LEDs and so I can't comment on if 65% is too bright for it or not.
I moved the new one on the bottom. Waiting to see what the result will be. I think the maxspect is a little "weak" intensity. I am still slowly ramping up the % each couple of days until it reaches 100%. I put my hand out by the sand outside the edge of the tank, I don't see any LED hitting outside the tank. I guess when it hits the glass, it reflects back in and does not leave the tank.

I am using the stand that comes with the Maxspect. It is about 8" above the water. The red sea has about an inch from the top of the rim before it reaches the water. I want to lower it some more using hanging method. If I do that, I'm concern the unit will get splash on and cause malfunction. Decisions, decisions.

On another note, with LED I noticed a lot of shimmy effect. I thought only Kessil has the shimmy effect. I like it. BTW, my large orange mdntipora, didn't make it, I had some frags from the big one a few weeks before the skimmer died on me. They are now recovering slowly. I guess, "the bigger they are, the harder they fall".

Tom

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
I am still slowly ramping up the % each couple of days until it reaches 100%.

Tom - I don't know about your leds... but are you sure people are running them at 100% ?

The reason I ask... is I just got leds (Steves) a few months ago... and Jeff told me few run their leds at over 65% & when I ask him how high the highest he has heard of... he said like 70% was max

if not applicable... please ignore :winky:

DaddyTLi

Tom - I don't know about your leds... but are you sure people are running them at 100% ?

The reason I ask... is I just got leds (Steves) a few months ago... and Jeff told me few run their leds at over 65% & when I ask him how high the highest he has heard of... he said like 70% was max

if not applicable... please ignore :winky:
I know Steves LED uses high quality LEDs made in USA. The MaxSpect is made in Singapore, I don't know where the LEDs are made. How low is Steve's LED away from the water on your setup? Right now my highest setting is at 60%. @Mayja has Maxspect and she turns it up at 100% around 2 pm.

@Mayja, how long have you had the Maxspect? And did you go 100% since day one? How are your corals doing?

Tom

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Tom - my leds are aprox. 4" from the water if this is of any help... in the hood, behind the splash shield on my RSM 250.

Last edited:

DaddyTLi

Thx. The Maxspect does not have any splash guard. I guess the height prevents accident.

I notice my ORP drops in the evening for about 10, otherwise it hands around in the 345ish.

Last edited:

DaddyTLi

Ok. The old Duncan was moved to the sand bed for a few days now. Looking better.

DaddyTLi

Is warm in NYC. My chiller kicked off a few times. I noticed from apex, that the 1/3 hp chiller takes about 6 amps to run. I really need another outlet on separate breaker near the tank. Yep, more money to pull the line... :(

Tom

DaddyTLi

At St Croix with my son and daughter for some diving. Mrs. at home vacationing without us around. Daughter getting Ceritfication on this trip.

Good thing I have my Apex to monitor the tank.

Tom

Oxylebius

Great! How old is your daughter? I was certified when I was 16 yrs old - super fun life long hobby!

As for the ORP values, I haven't used one before, so no comments from me, but you can reach out to @Choff I believe he has used one for years now and can hopefully give you some advice.