Tli rsm 500

DaddyTLi

I purchased my RSM 500 in Oct of 2012, received the goods and slowly assembled the unit. I only have weekends to work on it since I travel during the week.

I find that manually fitting the screws on the aluminum frame is better than any power tool. I stripped a couple of heads before switching over to hand tools only.

During the assembly, one Light micro switch was inoperative, RS sent me a replacement. chewed up a week waiting. One o-ring on the sump pump was missing. waited a week there. The sump pump was defective not enough pressure and waited another week for replacement.

Purchased 180 lbs Caribsea live sand, 135 lbs premium Fiji live rocks (90 lbs were large size, 45 lbs med), and 35 lbs Fiji foundation rocks (these rocks were pretty nice, much cheaper) total of 180 lbs sand and 170 lbs rocks.

I cycled with a couple of shrimps (did not missed it during a meal). Had it run for 6 weeks before adding the cleaners.

Pics to come. If I can figure out how to add them to the post.

Tom

Last edited:

DaddyTLi

I have a clown and two firefishs, 4 peppermint shrimps, a pin cushion, about 3 dozens hermit and three dozen snails. Planning on going to vacation for 10 days. I have an autofeeder Ehiem filled with freeze dried Mysis shrimps. My problem the food is floating on the surface eventually gets sucked into the top skimmer. The firefish likes to hang near the bottom and miss the whole feed time. I'm trying to get them use to the autofeeder before I leave for the trip. My daughter fed them frozen brine shrimp by hand for the last 3 weeks.

I need some advice as to what type of food will be good to "sink down under" and maybe a new feeder if that's the problem.

I have not stocked coral yet.

Tom

Nob35

Hello and welcome looking forward to the pics. I recieved my tank about the same time as you but I had a existing tank to add to it and also cured rock and sand in the garage so only had a 2 day cycle. I'm experimenting right now with the problems of floating food. I bought some square acrylic rod and made a rectangle that floats, today was the first day that I used it and seemed to work very well as all the pellets I feed stayed in side till they were ready to sink. i got the idea after seeing something simular at one of the online fish stores but the one they was selling was very small only a 6" circle if i remember right. heres a couple pics
3A6467EC-3766-4B18-AEB9-C5C052ED9E32-757-00000085D1DA6C8D_zps53032627.jpg

9FAED9DA-234C-48A6-95FA-A4B51BB064D4-757-00000085D6B0C263_zps66d3157b.jpg

The couple of rods in the corner are to keep it from going up against the overflow and shutting off water flow. Also when I used it today most fish had no problem with it as they came up and ate out of it.

If your just looking to change food New Era has pellets that sink very fast if not immediately and the have 3 different types for different types of fish. I'm trying it right now but also feed spectrum pellets, nori and frozen foods.

Hope this helps with your problem, think the only other way of getting around it is to get a controller so that you can shut down the pumps for feeding time.

Zanders

Take a mug pour RO water in it put pellets in it then wait till they sink, feed fish :)
thats what i did when feeding fish before with pellets.

Choff

Hey Tom, Gratz on the tank.

Ya, those screws gave me fits. I wish I knew at the start that they gave you tons of extras. RS support is great though.

I use the sinking pellets as one of my staples. I soak it in selcon first though.

Let's see some picts!

Sent using Tapatalk 2

DaddyTLi

Using a floating object to keep the food from the skimmer is a good idea. I will probable mount it or connect to edge by the auto feeder. Did you use waterproof silicon for the connections?

Tom

DaddyTLi

When I'm home I like using frozen food. Pellets will be used on for auto feeder. But if I'm lazy, I may just use the auto feeder all the time.

Does anyone know if corals have a different diet? They'll eat the broken down dried food as well?

Tom

Nob35

Most corals I believe like a diet of plankton, it basically a liquid diet that you would only feed every few days to a week, at least I do.
BRS has a section for corals. Coral Foods - Bulk Reef Supply
Most LPS get their food from light but they will grow faster and do better with supplemental feedings.
I have not had many corals but this has been my experience with them.

Nob35

Using a floating object to keep the food from the skimmer is a good idea. I will probable mount it or connect to edge by the auto feeder. Did you use waterproof silicon for the connections?

Tom

No I used acrylic cement but silicone should work ok just will need to watch how its handled so it does not come apart. Acrylic glue is easy to use but need to make sure the pices fit together really well and make sure you put them in the correct place quickly as it dries very fast.

DaddyTLi

Yes, the pin cushion is known to move things around the tank. you may notice suctions all around him. BTW, my scarlet hermit was on his back for almost 24 hours. I got nervous and rescued him.

Yes, if you look closely, that is a giant clam. Its empty and was one of the Fiji rock piece I received.

Tom

ElTurco

Hi D,

I would take out turbo snails soonest they are good at cleaning algae but they scracth glass. Esp. When they do their cool twist move.

Brgds

DaddyTLi

Hi D,

I would take out turbo snails soonest they are good at cleaning algae but they scracth glass. Esp. When they do their cool twist move.

Brgds

Hmmm, I hate getting rid of them. Where will they go? Are Mexican Turbo better? I have mexican turbo on my bio cube. But is so old I did not notice that they are the one causing scratches on glass. Not that I looking for scratches.

Tom

Choff

I traded all my Mexican turbos back to the LFS. They got way too big and caused a few minor rock slides when they try to go between rocks. Never knew they scratched glass though.

Sent using Tapatalk 2

DaddyTLi

Hello and welcome looking forward to the pics. I recieved my tank about the same time as you but I had a existing tank to add to it and also cured rock and sand in the garage so only had a 2 day cycle. I'm experimenting right now with the problems of floating food. I bought some square acrylic rod and made a rectangle that floats, today was the first day that I used it and seemed to work very well as all the pellets I feed stayed in side till they were ready to sink. i got the idea after seeing something simular at one of the online fish stores but the one they was selling was very small only a 6" circle if i remember right. heres a couple pics

The couple of rods in the corner are to keep it from going up against the overflow and shutting off water flow. Also when I used it today most fish had no problem with it as they came up and ate out of it.

If your just looking to change food New Era has pellets that sink very fast if not immediately and the have 3 different types for different types of fish. I'm trying it right now but also feed spectrum pellets, nori and frozen foods.

Hope this helps with your problem, think the only other way of getting around it is to get a controller so that you can shut down the pumps for feeding time.

Nob, what is the dimensions and thickness of the rods of your float feed container?

Tom

Nob35

I used 1/2" OD but if I order anything else I would order some 3/4" to build another that would float a little higher out of the water.
Extruded Square Acrylic Tubing | U.S. Plastic Corp.
I also bought the acrylic glue and other acrylic pieces that I use from here. They hav good prices on all acrylic pieces but the shipping can get expensive with the larger pieces. I also get the acrylic adhesive SC-125 and use the syringe applicators.