Tli rsm 500

DaddyTLi

I used 1/2" OD but if I order anything else I would order some 3/4" to build another that would float a little higher out of the water.
Extruded Square Acrylic Tubing | U.S. Plastic Corp.
I also bought the acrylic glue and other acrylic pieces that I use from here. They hav good prices on all acrylic pieces but the shipping can get expensive with the larger pieces. I also get the acrylic adhesive SC-125 and use the syringe applicators.

With thicker rod, won't it sink more than float since it is heavier?

Nob35

I'm using the square tube for this so the rod is bigger but the thickness of walls will be the same so there will be more air inside that will overcome the extra weight. The 1/2" works ok but only sticks out of the water about 1/8" at most. I have more 1/2" so I may do something a little different and see if it works better. The one I have now does work very well as all pellets stay inside until they sink. If I stay with the same size I may make it much bigger and have it so where it goes across most of the back of the tank, keeping it about 2" from the overflow but I have not decided yet as I kind of like being able to take it out easily. The one I made is 8"x12" so kind of a small window.

This is where I got the idea from
Nutrafin Max Feeding Ring

DaddyTLi

Sinking pellets sink right away? Or does it take a while for someone to come up with a ring container? The description mentions pellet.

Nob35

Some sink quickly others take a minute or 2. The new era pellets sink very quickly as they are not completely dried out. I think all pellets that are dried will float for a while until they soak up enough water.

DaddyTLi

If I want to use sock on the 500, where will I mount it? It should catch the input to sump area from the two grey tub on back right hand side, correct? The mounts I've seen does not seem to mount well with the sump glass edge being so high up.

Nob35

I believe most that are using socks are using the ones that have a draw string and just slipping them over the pipes and pulling tight or finding ones that will fit snuggly over them. I do recommend getting some socks, I have 2- 4"x7"x12" socks that I have to change every week, if I did not have them, all they catch would stay in the tank as the sponges would not catch most of it.

DaddyTLi

I believe most that are using socks are using the ones that have a draw string and just slipping them over the pipes and pulling tight or finding ones that will fit snuggly over them. I do recommend getting some socks, I have 2- 4"x7"x12" socks that I have to change every week, if I did not have them, all they catch would stay in the tank as the sponges would not catch most of it.

Can sock be rinse with RO and reuse? That's $10 per week if I chuck them.

Nob35

I throw mine in the washer with a little bleach and do 2 extra rinse cycles. Just make sure to turn them inside out so all that they caught does not stay inside while they wash. I have 10 right now so 5 sets and I have to wash them once a month, I do turn them and rinse them out after changes just to get rid of the larger particals and stop,them from smelling up the garage as much

DaddyTLi

Sounds like what I do with my Purigen, I soak it in bleach then use prime to neutralizer the bleach. I usually use hand to clean towels. So, I guess I'll do the same with these socks. Thanks for the advice Nob.

I'm heading to vacation soon. I don't think my usplastic supply will come in on time. Wow, they charge a lot for shipping. I will use an similar small ring from my LFS until I get back. I am "training" them to eat the pellet for the week before my trip. I notice I am down to one peppermint shrimp from the 4 I purchased. :tears:

Nob35

The shipping is expensive because of the length if you know the sizes you want and they are less30" it would be much less but you would have to call them and tell them what sizes to cut them.

yycguy

I am using a filter sick with a plastic ring. I am sure it's for some setup for that style of ring but it works great for hanging on to the return pipe.

I also have some of the same material that I cut and fits perfectly in the media tray.

nutu9eze.jpg

te4u9una.jpg

David Shaw

I do the same, just be mindful to change them out every few days so they don't become clogged and reduce the flow. They are great for polishing the water.

DaddyTLi

I am using a filter sick with a plastic ring. I am sure it's for some setup for that style of ring but it works great for hanging on to the return pipe.

I also have some of the same material that I cut and fits perfectly in the media tray.

How do you keep that sock in place? Does it not "slide off position"?

As far as Media tray, I find that when the media bag (media area) is cloggy, my water differential from the main sump area and the return area is great and unless I have the ATO setting set to a higher rate than the recommended (one drip per second). My flow control goes haywire. BTW, I don't know why the recommendation isn't higher because the ATO float will cutoff the flow if it has enough water anyway.

Do you have problem with the water differential between main sump area and the return area with the made to fit sock?

Tom

DaddyTLi

What is the proper way to change water when there is a sump refugium? when the sump pump is stopped all the water will hit the refugium causing overflow to other areas of sump.

What are some steps you guys/gals take?

I have been turning off the skimmer, sump and let water settle then extract water. but once the sump is switched water rush to the sump mixing stuff up down there (yuk).

Tom

yycguy

How do you keep that sock in place? Does it not "slide off position"?

As far as Media tray, I find that when the media bag (media area) is cloggy, my water differential from the main sump area and the return area is great and unless I have the ATO setting set to a higher rate than the recommended (one drip per second). My flow control goes haywire. BTW, I don't know why the recommendation isn't higher because the ATO float will cutoff the flow if it has enough water anyway.

Do you have problem with the water differential between main sump area and the return area with the made to fit sock?

Tom

The Filter Sock I use has a plastic ring inside that grips the down pipe really easily (I am away from home or I would attach a picture) it stays anywhere I place it on the pipe.

The filter material seems to work great under the carbon bags in the media tray . I don't really notice any reduced flow in the return chamber but there must be some.

Nob35

What is the proper way to change water when there is a sump refugium? when the sump pump is stopped all the water will hit the refugium causing overflow to other areas of sump.

What are some steps you guys/gals take?

I have been turning off the skimmer, sump and let water settle then extract water. but once the sump is switched water rush to the sump mixing stuff up down there (yuk).

Tom

The only way I know of of not overfilling the sump would be to put a shut off valve on the overflow pipe. I have no problems with the extra water mixing things up but since reconfiguring my sump it does not flow the same as a stock one.

DaddyTLi

I'm back home and the livestock survived my week long trip. The ATO bottomed out. But there were still enough water in the sump area. I did overload the sump a bit so that it gives it a little more lasting power.

My Socks came in. I put it around both grey pipes from the tank. I noticed some of you guys just cover one of the two pipes. Is there a reason why? One pipe is for overflow, I think; so, it should be ok if both are covered with the sock, right?
00002_zpse978f76b.jpg

I put my auto-feeder on the corner where the sump return is. My little feeding ring broke when I was pressing hard to set it into place. So, I just had to do with the feeder releasing pellets from the corner. The sump's force pushes it down soaking the pellets keeping most of it down. My clown was hanging on the top back corner to pick off some pellets before the sump pump forced it downward. He's pretty smart.

00001_zps9972f634.jpg

For the auto feeder to mount I had to keep the front lights up and shift the top trim.

Choff

Glad you had no issues while you were away. In a car on my way home from my 10 day vacation and anxious to see the tank.

Sent using Tapatalk 2

DaddyTLi

Just got my TDS meter HM Digitial TDS-3. NYC water is 38 ppm, my brita is about 27. the RO is 4 and DI is 0.

I notice when I come back from business trips, the sump is low on water and the ATO tank still has water. I think the white adjustment on top of the float valve is clogging up. I turn it to max before it flows again and then readjust. Anyone having similar problem?

Tom

Last edited: